This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FKP/PE1 Help. I cannot bend my first knuckle to a 90 degree bend.

Started by Jamie12345, May 11, 2015 · 4 Replies · 332 Views

Jamie12345

Any advice for building up a first knuckle 90 degree bend? 

 

I can barely bend it past ~30 degrees. 

 

Should I work to get a 90 degree bend before attempting the weekly mastery block reps? 

 

I'm considering doing 5 sets of 10 second stretching as far bend as I can go and hope to slowly make my way to 90 degrees. 

 

Has anyone else has success with these? 

Sensei JP

My left hand is fine; my right hand is tight beyond all reason.

 

For five months I only did the FKP on Handstand days, and I got no discernable improvements.  Since about Christmas I have made a point of doing 5-10 light reps just about every day, and that seemed to kick off improvement.  On good days I'm currently about 80% of the way there, but sometimes it's less responsive and I need a few days rest.

 

It's frustrating how such a little movement could be so impossible.

thecolin

For stretching, I like to put my knee on the ground then place the palm of my hand on the top of my knee and press my fingers to the floor. This seems to be the most productive stretch for me. A few sets of this stretch before the push ups helps me a lot.

 

Also, be sure that you do really slow reps and pause at the top of the movement, trying to move a little deeper. Doing these with locked arms works best for me.

 

I wouldn't hold yourself back from progressing if you don't have a 90 degree bend yet. I find that a bit of a load is more useful when developing active flexibility (think weighted vs unweighted dislocates). I don't think doing these against a wall isn't going to be very productive if the load is so light that you can't feel the proper muscle activation.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

It isn't reall until PE3/PE4, that the load becomes sizeable. I would progress until at least PE2 (being that you can do the proper number of sets by reps) and then at that point start focusing on increasing your ROM