Foundation 1 & Rock Climbing Routine?

Started by Riley M., May 8, 2015 · 3 Replies · 1,805 Views

Riley M.

I'm an avid rock climber and am hoping foundations 1 will improve my climbing. I'm wondering if it is possible to still climb while training. I'd like to continue climbing 2x a week. Would this prevent recovery or is there a way that I can schedule this effectively? 

Joshua Slocum

Should be fine, though it depends on the type of climbing you're doing and your style.

The best thing to do would be to try it out, and see how well it works. If you're constantly feeling sore and unprepared for your workouts, you're doing to much. If you always feel well rested and ready to go for each workout, then you're just fine.

Vincearoo

Before I moved, I used to treat climbing as skill work. I'd only be at the gym for about 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. Over the course of 6 months I went from v5 to almost v7s (I could work a fair amount of 7s and the occasional 8).

Ravn

I boulder twice a week (because I haven't got access to rock or high climbing walls) and do foundation 3-4 times a week. Works well; I am not getting more injury prone, but it can be pretty exhausting.

I like my Saturdays best, where I train F/H first, then boulder immediately afterwards. That's 2,5-3 hours of training but it's awesome :-)