This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F and Calves

Started by emilianop, April 26, 2015 · 6 Replies · 407 Views

emilianop

So, starting from this one by Mark:

 

 

Malliaras et al. 2013 – This study helped to shift the focus away from eccentric focused interventions by providing clear evidence that concentric-eccentric interventins also work in the Achilles and patellar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qouf0v4cuwtgenb/Malliaras.P.2013.pdf?dl=0

- See more at: http://www.biomechanics.completesportscare.com.au/uncategorized/top-6-tendinopathy-papers-recent-times/#sthash.T8Tkm6zp.5msFtq36.dpuf

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/20221-question-about-eccentric-exercises/?p=186037

 

I was asking him if he could give me some pointer on Achille's tendon treatment alongside with Foundation.

He suggested to post it here for everyone's info.

 

Basically I was looking for pointers or information specifically on re-hab for Achilles tendinopathy, and also some general suggestion on how to make that collagen strip a bit stronger :)

Cole Dano

Looks like some good reading there, thanks for sharing.

 

Maybe it's a good place to point out that  the Front Split stretch course contains Coach Sommer's achilles pre-hab routine. :)

emilianop

Yep, I found that useful.

 

This was mostly for re-hab though, also I've always been keen of doing re-hab at quite high frequency, low intensity, while the S series is supposedly to be followed once a week per session.

 

I'd be happy to hear (from Mark or anyone) what's their experience with this regards.

Cole Dano

Actually with the achilles pre-hab routine, it was found once a week was enough.

Mark Collins

General recommendations for Achilles tendinopathy are:

1. Mid range isometric calf raises 3-5x60 secs 3-5 times a day moderate intensity for pain relief.

2. After 2-6 weeks concentric/eccentric strengthening 3x15-70 reps. Gastrocs and soleus.

3. Plyometrics if looking for a return to sport or running. This is key to get your springs back.

4. Graded return back to sport depending on symptom aggravation.

For insertional Achilles no calf raises with the heel dropping on a step.

This is very simple and will vary depending on the person. These are guidelines from Physiotherapist, Peter Malliaris. They are good but I think the volume is too much. For my own patients I tend to use a combination of isometrics once a day and some isotonics three days a week. Most patients are not fully compliant and probably average twice a week.

I find it interesting that the calf exercises in Front Split stretch fit nicely with this protocol.

emilianop

Great info,as always.

Thanks Mark!

 

Mark Collins said:

1. Mid range isometric calf raises 3-5x60 secs 3-5 times a day moderate intensity for pain relief.

Does this mean 9-25 sets a DAY?

Mark Collins

It is that much. This is for the reactive phase, which is the phase when the tendon has flared up and there is a lot of pain. The isometrics are only moderate intensity and are used for pain relief. After a few sets of low level isometrics the pain can settle for 30-60 mins. It is basically using low level exercise as analgesia and not for strengthening. As symptoms settle the isometrics are reduced.