This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about eccentric exercises

Started by Vytautas Pilkauskas, April 18, 2015 · 11 Replies · 334 Views

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello, movers,

 

I am following F1 and H1 course for a few months now and I noticed one thing:

 

In F1 there's already one eccentric exercise which is Negative Dip. But there are no other eccentric movements yet but I am pretty sure there will be in the following courses because if it is appropriate to do a negative dip before you can do a full dip, it is equally appropriate to do it with many more exercises which IMO would be negative pull ups, maybe negative Dips in L-Sit, SLS, many FL pulling exercises and so on.

 

So here's the question:

 

Regardless of strength training, what does eccentric part of the movement (especially 10 seconds!) do to your joints and connective tissue? I can easily do regular pull ups, chin ups their ROM is quite good (I can feel that a little bit of more strength and I could get into transition part of a muscle up). My regular dips ROM is quite good as well - I can lower myself all the way down until my shoulders touch hands and push back up but when it comes down to eccentrics, I am pretty sure that something different happens in joints, at least to me. It is not the pain or pain related but it somehow indicates that my joints could be stronger and healthier after mastering eccentrics. Would that be an answer?

Awesssss

Are you saying that you can do full dips but you can't lower yourself down?

Vytautas Pilkauskas

No, it's just different sensations in my elbow joints when I do dynamic an eccentric only exercises. I can do both. However, I have yet to master HBP PE2 :lol: 

My concern is what is happening in joints and around them and what can possibly prevent one from moving forward to full ROM exercise (say, dips) before mastering negatives. Is it that 10 sec negative exercise strengthens joints and connective tissue in a way dynamic exercise doesn't?

Awesssss

I'm pretty sure the negatives are just to build strength for the full ones. :)

 

If you feel it "differently", maybe that's because when you lower down from a full dip, you don't actually lower down as you do during an eccentric one, you crash down? Other than that, I don't know.

Joshua Slocum

Another benefit of the 10-second negative is that it helps you really nail down the form. 

rg8032

Eccentric exercise has numerous advantages. It is often used in rehabilitative settings and can significantly effect the structure of various soft tissues if employed correctly. You may very well have induced positive changes in various structures. Or you could be crazy. No judgement.

emilianop

Tendon strengthening is much better promoted during slow eccentric movements than concentric ones, the typical re-hab pattern for getting back in shape after damaged tendons is usually negative reps for long sets.

 

It also forces you to keep tension along the whole movement, so completely removing any possible momentum you might put in there by doing concentric work, that might make some exercise harder than its "normal" counterpart. MN/PE6 was like that for me.

Mark Collins
emilianop said:

Tendon strengthening is much better promoted during slow eccentric movements than concentric ones, the typical re-hab pattern for getting back in shape after damaged tendons is usually negative reps for long sets.

That has recently changed.

Malliaras et al. 2013 – This study helped to shift the focus away from eccentric focused interventions by providing clear evidence that concentric-eccentric interventins also work in the Achilles and patellar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qouf0v4cuwtgenb/Malliaras.P.2013.pdf?dl=0

- See more at: http://www.biomechanics.completesportscare.com.au/uncategorized/top-6-tendinopathy-papers-recent-times/#sthash.T8Tkm6zp.5msFtq36.dpuf

emilianop
Mark Collins said:

That has recently changed.

Malliaras et al. 2013 – This study helped to shift the focus away from eccentric focused interventions by providing clear evidence that concentric-eccentric interventins also work in the Achilles and patellar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qouf0v4cuwtgenb/Malliaras.P.2013.pdf?dl=0

- See more at: http://www.biomechanics.completesportscare.com.au/uncategorized/top-6-tendinopathy-papers-recent-times/#sthash.T8Tkm6zp.5msFtq36.dpuf

 

That's great info, thanks Mark!

I'll read through those, but basically are we saying that concentric-eccentric is good as well or better?

Mark Collins
emilianop said:

That's great info, thanks Mark!

I'll read through those, but basically are we saying that concentric-eccentric is good as well or better?

Yes.

Alan Tseng

Interesting, I always thought that eccentric heel drops were the most effective for Achilles

emilianop

Same here.

 

But then, that study is from 2013, too recent for me to know it :)