Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Number one health tip...

Guest Ido Portal

Just some info that is related. Just to share some insights, not to argue :)

Also, have you ever enjoyed naan bread? Maybe traveled through north India, with its prevalence of Tandoori ovens? They bake plenty of food in India --- in northern India.

Nan is white bread that has origins from the mughals. Mughals came from the Middle East.

I think my point was more against "Yeast" related baked breads versus Rolled thin Chapatis / Rotis (like Whole wheat Tortillas).

Food anywhere near the equator does not keep well, so it is either eaten raw or boiled into a thin gruel. The other common factor is the inclusion of chiles. This applies in India as well as South America.

They also don't eat a lot of fish in central India --- primarily because it's too hot to transport and keep fish from the coasts.

So should we infer from this that we shouldn't eat fish, use chiles and spices, and eat only raw food? No, of course not.

Chillies are not originally from India but said to have come from Mid-East/Europe.. Mostly Spain.

As per Ayurveda, not recommended in the quantities they are now consumed ala. Mughalization of the Indian food.

There is compelling evidence that when you introduce processed grains and carbohydrates to cultures throughout the world, including India, which leads the world in type-2 diabetes, you get metabolic syndrome.

This is the key factor. Otherwise, there is evidence equally as compelling that it simply does not matter what a culture eats as long as it's low in grains and sugars. There will be low incidences of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, heart attacks, ulcers, obesity, even tooth decay and cavities.

I've known elders and veterans who used to eat Rotis (Wheat) by the dozen, dipped in Ghee with whatever veggies or dal (lentils) they had. It was a time of lot of physical activity.. walking miles, et al. Crazy Diets they had.. cant imagine eating that much.. Even Indian strongmen / Wrestlers used to do so.

Were they 6 pack abs, low body fat people? Probably not.

A whole bunch lived long. What happened now? Abuse of old habits.. too much abundance of food, sweets, Ghee.

Increased rich-food habits due to affordability, Decreased physical activity, Lots of $$$, Access to junk food..

This means you can eat a raw-food, vegetarian diet or an all-protein and fat diet, like the Masai or Inuit, whose traditional diets contained virtually no fruits or vegetables. Once you introduce an overabundance of the grains and sugars, however ... game over.

Hmm.. now Masai I guess are close to Paleo?

I am not proposing one SIZE fits ALL thing. If you live on a Pacific Island, fish comes naturally to you. African desert.. the appropriate stuff.. Natural consumption is one thing, over abused consumption.

Communities in India that consume fish / meat used to do it as a delicacy over weekends (from what I remember).. It was not an all time ..eat as much as possible, everyday thing. :)

I have seen dramatic physical, mental, and some would say spiritual transformations occur when friends have switched to a raw-food diet. I have seen equally as compelling changes when friends have switched to a Paleo-style diet.

This is on all levels: strength, flexibility, weight, bodyfat percentage --- even skin clarity and energy levels.

The key factor common to the two radically opposing diets is the removal of processed grains and sugars.

:) Great insights. Thanks for sharing. I will keep it in mind.

My feelings towards India are similar to my feelings towards Japan --- just because certain elements of a culture have evolved eating a certain way does not mean it is not a maladaptive trait. It is an adaptation that has allowed these people to survive well enough to pass along their genes.

Hmm.. Interesting thing would be to figure out the good adaptations from the bad ones :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• braindx

• Jason Stein

• Fryk

• ASForum

While I don't have any strong views regarding grain or the paleo diet in particular, I question whether the science is there. Before agriculture came into play, that is, during the time when a majority of human groups were subsisting on hunter-gatherer methods, the archeological records shows that the life spans of those people were relatively short compared to people in most current societies. Of course, they weren't dying because of what they ate, more due to the lack of food, the elements, predatation, and, very often, diseases. Most people will agree that the closer to nature you get with the food, the better it is for you, but I don't think we can necessarily conclude that eating just like paleolithic peoples will be the key to good health.

Also, I don't people back then were all too keen on eating everything raw.

Honestly, there's one thing we're missing here. Science can give us general conclusions.

But what works for you may not work for the population.

Find out what works for YOU both in diet and training. You do this by experimenting.

If a lot of people I know and respect say something is valid I'm probably sure as hell going to give it a try rather than trying to get into the X, Y, Z details (although I will still investigate it).

What I am reminded of here is the paralysis by analysis that a lot of people get when they're trying to decide or execute a particular training structure.... then rethinking it and switching to something else 3 days into it. Dumb.

Crash,

The notion that there is a "pure" Ayurvedic diet dating to pre-Mughal India is romantic idealism. Chilis have been in India for at least 500 years in what appears to be a positive, mutually beneficial adaptation.

The point that you're missing is not that the Ayurvedic diet was healthier because it consisted of raw foods --- which is again, of itself not accurate --- nor was my point that the Masai diet was healthier because it consisted of boat-loads of animal protein.

The unifying thread between both of them, and between, for example, Coach Sommer's notes on the traditional Philipino diet --- is that they all lack refined carbohydrates and sugars.

Maladaptive habits are any which do not lead to, or in fact work against, health, welllness and quality of life. I don't mind again borrowing from Crossfitt to define health as "work capacity across broad modal domains over time."

Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Eating" has several what he refers to as "logarithms" that will generally lead to this "wellness." Many of them dovetail with Ayurveda, Paleo, macrobiotics, raw, etc, etc, and would be a good, secular place to start for someone looking for general guidelines on how and what to eat.

The danger with adopting an Ayurveda lifestyle and belief system are many, as illustrated to me during my volunteer time at an Ayurvedic clinic in Mysore, India.

Greatest is spiritual materialism and cultural tourism, but not least of the dangers is that you will spend a considerable amount of time teasing apart Ayurvedic prescriptions and remedies from deeply rooted cultural biases, religious views, entrenched and spiteful caste bigotry, psuedoscience, faith-healing, placebo-effect, and plain quackery.

best,

jason

Robert,

I personally have witnessed the prescription of mercury, gunpowder and tobacco.

best,

jason

I've heard the same. Then again, there are good practitioners and others that are not - like in every field.

Hi to all,

I have a query as what to replace the grains (even whole grains) with. I currently, an have always used rolled oats ( a less refined oat) along with my protein shake as a substitute for milk (i do not use dairy). I use this mix for breakfast and also about a half an hour before i workout. Now other than this enery source i really only eat chicken breast, fish, beans, fruits, veggies. I will admit to using whole wheat pasta, not often. But if i am to try this Paleolithic Diet i want to do it right and would like to know from someone who is on it, WHAT DO I USE TO GIVE ME ENERGY, if i do cut out these ground provisions which have always been my source of energy. I have always boasted how great oats are for energy and fiber.

Thank you and regards,

Nick DeFreitas.

The notion that there is a "pure" Ayurvedic diet dating to pre-Mughal India is romantic idealism. Chilis have been in India for at least 500 years in what appears to be a positive, mutually beneficial adaptation.

The point that you're missing is not that the Ayurvedic diet was healthier because it consisted of raw foods --- which is again, of itself not accurate --- nor was my point that the Masai diet was healthier because it consisted of boat-loads of animal protein.

The unifying thread between both of them, and between, for example, Coach Sommer's notes on the traditional Philipino diet --- is that they all lack refined carbohydrates and sugars.

Maladaptive habits are any which do not lead to, or in fact work against, health, welllness and quality of life. I don't mind again borrowing from Crossfitt to define health as "work capacity across broad modal domains over time."

Its the overused Mughalai influence that causes health issues. Talk to the guy who eats out in restaurants (rich food) all the time v/s the same guy or another guy who eats at home. Most people in India who are on the road will tell you how it feels different to have HOME COOKED food. :).

I do not see any benefit from arguing here. You have a viewpoint, So do I... We're here to share :)

I was trying to say that the reason why certain things work for certain people and at times do not work for others can be dissected in Ayurveda.

Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Eating" has several what he refers to as "logarithms" that will generally lead to this "wellness." Many of them dovetail with Ayurveda, Paleo, macrobiotics, raw, etc, etc, and would be a good, secular place to start for someone looking for general guidelines on how and what to eat.

Nice. I support a secular mindset.

The danger with adopting an Ayurveda lifestyle and belief system are many, as illustrated to me during my volunteer time at an Ayurvedic clinic in Mysore, India.

I cannot say anything about the not so positive experiences you have had but I've seen otherwise. Good & Bad both exist in every field.

Which is why I know personally people who had chronic issues for years and got fixed in 15-45 days? e.g. A friend's mother had Asthma and used to have to use inhalers for years. Fixed in 1.5-2 months. The list is endless.

Again :) To each his own. I am listening with open mind to the "grains" argument.

Interesting Paleo Yogi article:

http://paleoyogi.blogspot.com/2007/12/m ... -food.html

He talks about how & why he thinks America has a high incidence of Lactose intolerance than other.. esp India.

Greatest is spiritual materialism and cultural tourism, but not least of the dangers is that you will spend a considerable amount of time teasing apart Ayurvedic prescriptions and remedies from deeply rooted cultural biases, religious views, entrenched and spiteful caste bigotry, psuedoscience, faith-healing, placebo-effect, and plain quackery.
Love this paragraph. You've captured so much in a few lines. (Respect).

Joshua Naterman
Hi to all,

I have a query as what to replace the grains (even whole grains) with. I currently, an have always used rolled oats ( a less refined oat) along with my protein shake as a substitute for milk (i do not use dairy). I use this mix for breakfast and also about a half an hour before i workout. Now other than this enery source i really only eat chicken breast, fish, beans, fruits, veggies. I will admit to using whole wheat pasta, not often. But if i am to try this Paleolithic Diet i want to do it right and would like to know from someone who is on it, WHAT DO I USE TO GIVE ME ENERGY, if i do cut out these ground provisions which have always been my source of energy. I have always boasted how great oats are for energy and fiber.

Thank you and regards,

Nick DeFreitas.

Fats and high calorie vegetables :P Or at least, that's what I hear a lot. If you don't have problems, there's no need to stop eating oats. It's kind of like cyanide. If you are constantly consuming small amounts that don't approach toxicity levels, you won't ever get sick. It won't affect you. So, even though there might be substances in grains that we are to varying levels indivudually allergic to, if it doesn't cause problems for you then it's really not that important. Ido Portal knows a lot about adapting to fat sources for energy, and he says it takes from 2-12 weeks to make the adaptation, depending on the individual. I personally consume a lot of olive oil each day, probably 800-900 calories worth. It took a little while for me to get used to it, but now it feels great and I also have healthier looking skin and hair :P Sweet potatos aren't off limits from what people here say, and they are loaded with slow carbs, just like the grains. Hope that helps a little!

Slizzard man,

I thank you for your response. I believe i will continue with just eating the oats for breakfast and will adapt this diet to the rest of my meals (for now), it may not be 100% exact specifications to what Ido may intake, but at least it is as close to it as I can manage. I have been reading more and more on it and i believe this diet to have more fact than fiction. But it will take some time to whene my body off all grains and ground provisions (good to know that sweet potato can still be an option) i do believe it is worth the effort to switch over as there really are many foods mother earth has intended for us to consume that will only enhance our training and who couldn’t use some more help.

Just wanted to thank Ido for starting this thread and for all who added to it. You guys don’t know how much valuable info I have gotten and utilized from this thread and all the rest. Remember your opinion should never have to agree with another, but it should never insult it either.

Guidance to my fellow Body enthusiasts,

Nick DeFreitas.

I'd like to affirm Braindx's comment that you must 'find out what works for you both in diet and training.' Although not directly related to gymnastics, the track and field World Championships are currently being held in Berlin and I feel that they encapsulate the idea that there is no single panacea for diet, training plans, and especially body-type, to yield the highest results.

Usain Bolt has set two further world records in the 100 and 200 meters and certainly does not have the typical sprinter built, being far taller and leaner than the majority of his competitors. The top American female sprinters, such as Alyson Felix and Muna Lee, are quite smaller than their bulked peers. Jeremy Wariner does not have the typical 400m build, yet he and the aforementioned athletes are able to excel against the best in the world.

Like gymnastics, these events require high degrees of explosiveness, coordination, power, speed, and endurance at a high capacity output. A quick search shows some similarities in the diets of these and other athletes at the championships but certainly no golden formula strictly adhered to by one and all. This notion can be extended to other sports. There are certain trends that arise for diets and training schedules/routines but no definitive method that can guarantee identical results in two distinct individuals. As Braindx wrote, 'what works for you may not work for the population. Find out what works for YOU both in diet and training. You do this by experimenting'.

Crash,

As you might imagine, I read with interest the Paleo Yogi blog, as I myself am a "Paleo Yogi."

His thoughts on milk were interesting, though unfortunately anecdotal and impossible to separate from Hindu-Brahmanical religious dogma, chiefly that lighter colored food, such as ghee and milk, are more holy and more pure.

As I mentioned, concepts of sattvic foods are hopelessly and I would suggest inextricably mired in Hindu cultural and religious dogmatism.

It is a tricky path to tread; I have seen many people bang their heads against Ayurvedic diet concepts that simply did not work for their genetic and social history.

I have also seen Ayurvedic diet principles work. Why? Not because the principles themselves were holy, magical, or brilliant, but rather, just like raw, Paleo, and macrobiotic, Ayurveda gave them a framework in which to observe eating habits and their diet's effects on mood and energy.

Most importantly, Ayurveda and all the above diets reduced processed carbs and sugars. Basically, it stops people from, as Robb Wolf puts it, "pissing in their gas tanks."

I have run across a bewildering array of diets and diet philosophies, both in the US and abroad, and Ayurveda is a rich philosophy and practice. Best of luck in your pursuits.

regards,

jason

:) Interesting reply Jason. I agree with a lot of it. At the same time, a few more thoughts since I've really enjoyed this viewpoint exchange with you :)

As you might imagine, I read with interest the Paleo Yogi blog, as I myself am a "Paleo Yogi."

His thoughts on milk were interesting, though unfortunately anecdotal and impossible to separate from Hindu-Brahmanical religious dogma, chiefly that lighter colored food, such as ghee and milk, are more holy and more pure.

I dont know if I subscribe to 'holy' aspect of food. I believe food properties are defined in Ayurveda by non-laboratory analysis.. I remember reading somewhere certain observable physical characteristics of food that was K+/- or V+/- or P+/-

Just like Western Lab Analysis breakdown of P, F, Carbs. But like anything, its tons of info that can leave you lost.

As I mentioned, concepts of sattvic foods are hopelessly and I would suggest inextricably mired in Hindu cultural and religious dogmatism.

THIS IS WAY OFF TOPIC.. But if you'd choose to indulge:

I can vouch for the Sattvic, Rajsic, Tamsic food aspects. They are not just stemmed in religious Dogma. My personal journey and of close friends & families, I have several examples of how tamsic & rajsic foods just do not work well when one's spiritual energy starts ascension. I'll share a short sample:

I've been accustomed to and have loved having Spicy Red Chilli & Green chilli induced food all my life. Even through my 7.5 years in the US of A, I always had spicy food and loved it.

Feb 2008: After some strong spiritual experiences (during an Adv Meditation course w/ 5 days of Silence) at an Ashram (I spent 30-40 days around Feb-March 2008), I decided to move back to India.

Aug 2008: I finally returned to India.

Sep/Oct 2008: During the period of Navratri (look it up - period of rebirth & cleansing 9 NEW nights = 9 Months) I attended the same Adv Med Course w/ 5 day silence coupled with Powerful Yagyas during all 9 days.

I came back home after that and my mom's cooking that I had been missing was unbearable - My throat & tongue would burn. After 3-4 days of this I consulted some spiritual veterans and the realization was my Sattvic energy had risen a lot and hence my body was rejecting Tamsic foods.

PS: And at the Ashram they do add Red Chilli to the food, its just somehow balanced out by Ayurvedic Cooking techniques.

I know you could argue that my palate had become more westernized or sensitized to spices, but dont you think I'd have thought that one out. I am sure it was not the case.

This has happened in even more extreme way to someone who used to be a hardcore Punjabi army brat who used to love his Chicken. ... Past a point his meditations built energy such that he'd eat chicken & puke in 5 minutes.. This is through a time he had never stopped eating it.

It is a tricky path to tread; I have seen many people bang their heads against Ayurvedic diet concepts that simply did not work for their genetic and social history.

I have also seen Ayurvedic diet principles work. Why? Not because the principles themselves were holy, magical, or brilliant, but rather, just like raw, Paleo, and macrobiotic, Ayurveda gave them a framework in which to observe eating habits and their diet's effects on mood and energy.

Indeed it is a tricky path. A framework I am learning to utilize & heal naturally.

Most importantly, Ayurveda and all the above diets reduced processed carbs and sugars. Basically, it stops people from, as Robb Wolf puts it, "pissing in their gas tanks."

I have run across a bewildering array of diets and diet philosophies, both in the US and abroad, and Ayurveda is a rich philosophy and practice. Best of luck in your pursuits.

Processed foods, excess of sugars & anything.. Yes.. not recommended.

Google: Gluten Intolerance Ayurveda - It'll bring up some interesting links. One them here..

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Special-Diet ... erance.htm

I read a lot on Ayurveda and found things not prescribed other places. Value of herbs & spice (not Chilli) to help digestion, balance etc. Funky thing.. One book talked about having an apple when you have a headache.. And funny thing was I tried it 2 times.. Worked :)

The final note from an 80 yr old Ayur Vaid who is brilliant, when I asked him a lot of questions what to eat etc/ not eat.. having read a bunch of ayurveda literature, veg, vegan, raw, fruitarian etc stuff...

"Eat everything in moderation. Avoid old, fermented & yeast baked foods, non veg, left overs/ previously cooked" ... K>I>S>S .. Keep It Simple. :D.

Robert,

I personally have witnessed the prescription of mercury, gunpowder and tobacco.

best,

jason

I found the following snippets in the Ayurvedic Encyclopedia that referred to Mercury as a healing agent. But it also warns against using it unless it has been perfectly processed by the right people.

It warns that one slip up and Mercury is dangerous.

I cant say much about Mercury myself but I can share something about Silver. Silver for a long time is said to have anti-bacterial properties etc. It is also used in modern water purification techniques. Again, this is Trace quantities.

It is a practice for people to eat foods in Silver Plates / vessels in the past. Of people to carry water in silver lined vessels to improve its healing & anti bacterial properties.

Just like 'next generation medecine', anything that's critical must have a good practitioner who knows what he's doing. You wouldnt expect the new from med school guy to give you brain surgery.

But yes jason ... It has pitfalls, just like any other system.

PS: I'd much rather go the Ayurvedic & Yogic way to cure Anxiety, Depression, etc instead of taking Paxil.

I'm not a big fan of the pill popping, 4 vitamin tablets in the morning consuming lifestyle :).

Mineral and Metallic Bhasmas

Many mineral and metal bhasmas also exist and

are used for a variety of health disorders. They are

more powerful than herbs and have a faster healing

action. Bhasmas need to be obtained from only the

most reliable pharmacies. If they are improperly burnt

one can develop severe illnesses. Currently, the United

States and a few other countries are not aware of the

non-toxic healing properties of some of the bhasmas

such as lead, tin, and mercury.

Minerals and Metals (Rasas)

Seven metals are used along with herbs in certain

powerful preparations. The 7 metals (gold, silver,

brass, copper, lead, tin, and magnetic iron-ore) relate

to the 7 dhátus (tissue layers). These 7 plus 2

additional metals relate to the nine planets: copper/

Sun, silver/Moon, brass/Mars, lead/Mercury, gold/

Jupiter, tin/Venus, steel/Saturn, bronze/Rahu,

magnetic iron-ore/Ketu. These metals undergo precise

purification processes to remove toxins and make

them digestible.

When the metals undergo these alchemical

processes they are used for rejuvenation (rasáyanas)

therapy. For example, therapies for healing amebic

parasites include antiparasitical herbs and immune-

boosting herbs. Formulas sold in India include kuóaj

(antiparasitical) and mercury bhasma (immune-

boosting ash). Bhasmas (metal, mineral, and gem ash)

are common to many Ãyurvedic products in India.

Some of the bhasmas have not yet been approved for

use in the U.S. by the FDA. Many European countries,

however, allow importation of these bhasmas.

Metals, gems, minerals (mica, red coral, sea shells)

are burnt into ash (bhasma) in a very specific process,

thereby removing all toxic properties. If these items

are improperly prepared, ingesting them can be life-

threatening. Even in India, only a few Ãyurvedic

companies are viewed as reliable manufacturers of

bhasmas. So caution is strongly advised when

considering the use of certain bhasmas.

Mercuy conquers all diseases

and confers strength.

Chár´gadhara Samhitá:

Ch. 12; verse 1

Herbal Catalytic Agents (Anupanas)

In addition to the advanced knowledge of herb

usage, Ãyurveda offers various herbs, liquids, and

foods to empower the main herb, thereby healing

even more quickly. For many conditions, mercury

ash is suggested. Presently it is not allowed in some

Western countries in this form because it is

erroneously believed to be harmful. Mercuric

oxide, however, is used for healing styes in the U.S.

Although it is true that mercury in its natural state

is toxic, it becomes a powerful healing agent after

undergoing a specific burning process. Other

catalysts include:

Knowledge vs Experience

In the West, knowledge is most highly revered.

Experience and knowledge are equally important

in the East, but experience is seen as the crucial

validating factor. The essence of Ãyurveda is to

remove the obstacles to health on one’s spiritual path.

Thus, the most important aspect of learning

Ãyurveda is to learn to follow one’s personal

Ãyurvedic regimen to achieve balance.

Too often, in the name of helping others,

compassionate healers will ignore their own health

and lifestyle. Developing and maintaining balance

deepens one’s intuition, compassion, ethics, and

overall spiritual life; thereby ever improving one’s

abilities as a healer. In contrast, many Westerners

will absorb themselves in the intellectual study of

a subject (even Ãyurveda), forgetting to include

themselves in the holistic picture.

The use of

mercury as a powerful rejuvenative was introduced

in the 14th century. Minerals were first used in

Ãyurveda in the 16th century.

• 5 months later...

Totally unexpectedly my mum has said that she doesn't mind me giving the paleo diet a try after my GCSE's. She had experienced the atkins diet several years ago (but refused to give up the veg :D ) when it was fashionable in the UK. TBH I'm pretty sure she expects me to experience the same bad effects as the atkins adaption and give up. Headaches and lack of concentration seem pretty grim, but then it's very similar to GCSE's :lol: .

I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to minimise the unwanted effects. Bearing in mind that I'm stuck eating grains for the next 3months. So far I've come up with:eating paleo when making my own meals, Getting in as much good fat as possible to get used to metabolising it & closely scrutinising food labels(in the UK this is macro-nutrients only, not sure about the rest of the world) to have a rough guide available from memory. Does anyone know what makes a pain free adaption?

I have another question regarding beans.

I googled for anti-nutrients and found :arrow:http://paleolithicdiet.wordpress.com/20 ... ad-health/ (pretty good read,lots of reasoning behind presence of anti-nutrients) It recommends removing grains, potatoes and beans(including peanuts-technically a bean) from the diet. Were beans not mentioned on this topic because of their high nutrient density which could ultimately make up for anti-nutrients? It seems odd not to mentions them as at least for me they play a very small part in my eating.

Thanks to everyone who posted on the thread, particularly to Ido for starting it.

Apologies for coming into this late.

I know it was said at least once and I want to re-iterate, you need to figure out what works FOR YOU. I feel there is a huge disparity between people who are gluten INTOLERANT and diagnosed Coeliac's. I am by no means a Ceoliac, however, from my own dietary experimentations, have discovered that I am somewhat gluten intolerant and causes leaky gut symptoms.

I feel that telling people to cut out gluten right off the bat is a safe and worthwhile suggestion because it does no harm. Cut it for a month and see what happens. If, after becoming more educated about their own personal nutrition, they can effectively re-introduce gluten to their diet when they want.

I wish I could have read something like this a year and a half ago

A few years back, I got an infection of C. difficile from taking antibiotics for a simple ear infection. That even really screwed up my digestion and lead me to getting post infection IBS. Long story short, I was lead astray by several books and doctors, worsening my condition before it got any better.

Eventually, I met a doctor who told me a lot of similar things to what you guys are saying. She suggested I eliminate gluten from my diet, saying I might be intolerant and definitely show signs of having a leaky gut. I am also mildly lactose intolerant, which I'm guessing stems from when I had the C. difficile.

Anyway, I went having a diet very high in grains and low in fat to eating fewer grains (and almost no gluten-containing grains), and more balanced with fats and proteins. At first, I thought eliminating grains was completely crazy and utterly unrealistic. I ended up doing it, and it has helped me out a lot, but not all the way

I still would like to eat more vegetables and less sugar. For nearly my whole life, I've loved sugary food and candy. After having eating problems, I eliminated candy and junk food, but still like to drink fruit juice, eat sorbet, and other things with sugar. I do eat a lot of fresh fruit, but I assume the sugar content there is justified.

Anyway, I've never really shared all of this with strangers, but I think summing it up will help me make further improvements. The last piece of the puzzle is that I'm 17, and barely know how to cook. The only things I really prepare completely by myself are oatmeal in the morning, fresh fruit throughout the day, and eggs for lunch. Id like to learn how to prepare vegetables and maybe meats to ease the burden on my mother, and for when I go off to college soon.

Joshua Naterman

Go to http://www.allrecipes.com and start searching for recipes you would like to learn! Start with something that you KNOW you can do, and slowly try harder things that you think will be relatively tasty treats!

The website is free, and I have found some of my all time most popular recipes there! I love that site as much as I love GB! And I mean gymnastic bodies, not anything else that could be GB.

• 2 months later...
Jay Guindon

This is for those posters who were wondering where the science was against grains. This is not of course the be all and end all but it is a good place to start. Specifically reading the studies listed in the footnotes is a good start.

An Argument Against Grains

Now that celiac disease has been allowed official entry into the pantheon of established medical conditions, and gluten intolerance is no longer entirely a fringe medical concept, the time has come to draw attention to the powerful little chemical in wheat known as 'wheat germ agglutinin' (WGA) which is largely responsible for many of wheat's pervasive, and difficult to diagnose, ill effects. Not only does WGA throw a monkey wrench into our assumptions about the primary causes of wheat intolerance, but due to the fact that WGA is found in highest concentrations in "whole wheat," including its supposedly superior sprouted form, it also pulls the rug out from under one of the health food industry's favorite poster children.

Below the radar of conventional serological testing for antibodies against the various gluten proteins and genetic testing for disease susceptibility, the WGA "lectin problem" remains almost entirely obscured. Lectins, though found in all grains, seeds, legumes, dairy and our beloved nightshades: the tomato and potato, are rarely discussed in connection with health or illness, even when their presence in our diet may greatly reduce both the quality and length of our lives.

Although significant progress has been made in exposing the dark side of wheat over the past decade, gluten receives a disproportionate share of the attention. Given that modern bread wheat (Triticum Aestivum) is a hexaploid species containing three distinct sets of chromosomes capable of producing well over 23,000 unique proteins, it is not surprising that we are only now beginning to unravel the complexities of this plant's many secrets.1 What is unique about the WGA glycoprotein is that it can do direct damage to the majority of tissues in the human body without requiring a specific set of genetic susceptibilities and/or immune-mediated articulations. This may explain why chronic inflammatory and degenerative conditions are endemic to wheat-consuming populations even when overt allergies or intolerances to wheat gluten appear exceedingly rare. The future fate of wheat consumption, and by implication our health, may depend largely on whether or not the toxic qualities of WGA come to light in the general population.

Nature engineers, within all species, a set of defenses against predation, though not all are as obvious as the thorns on a rose or the horns on a rhinoceros. Plants do not have the cell-mediated immunity of higher life forms, like ants, nor do they have the antibody driven, secondary immune systems of vertebrates with jaws. They must rely on a much simpler, innate immunity. It is for this reason that seeds of the grass family, e.g. rice, wheat, spelt, rye, have exceptionally high levels of defensive glycoproteins known as lectins. Cooking, sprouting, fermentation and digestion are the traditional ways in which man, for instance, deals with the various anti-nutrients found within this family of plants, but lectins are, by design, particularly resistant to degradation through a wide range of pH and temperatures.

WGA lectin is an exceptionally tough adversary as it is formed by the same disulfide bonds that make vulcanized rubber and human hair so strong, flexible and durable. Like man-made pesticides, lectins are extremely small, resistant to break-down by living systems, and tend to accumulate and become incorporated into tissues where they interfere with normal biological processes. Indeed, WGA lectin is so powerful as an insecticide that biotech firms have used recombinant DNA technology to create genetically modified WGA-enhanced plants. We can only hope that these virtually unregulated biotech companies, who are in the business of playing God with the genetic infrastructure of Life, will realize the potential harm to humans that such genetic modifications can cause.

Lectins are glycoproteins, and through thousands of years of selectively breeding wheat for increasingly larger quantities of protein, the concentration of WGA lectin has increased proportionately. This, no doubt, has contributed to wheat's global dominance as one of the world's favored monocultures, offering additional "built-in" pest resistance. The word lectin comes from the same etymological root as the word select, and literally means "to choose." Lectins are designed "to choose" specific carbohydrates that project off the surface of cells and upon which they attach. In the case of WGA the two glycoproteins it selects for, in order of greatest affinity, are N-Acetyl Glucosamine and N-Acetylneuraminic acid (sialic acid).

WGA is Nature's ingenious solution for protecting the wheat plant from the entire gamut of its natural enemies. Fungi have cell walls composed of a polymer of N-Acetylglucosamine. The cellular walls of bacteria are made from a layered structure called the peptidoglycan, a biopolymer of N-Acetylglucosamine. N-acetylglucosamine is the basic unit of the biopolymer chitin, which forms the outer coverings of insects and crustaceans (shrimp, crab, etc.). All animals, including worms, fish, birds and humans, use N-Acetyglucosamine as a foundational substance for building the various tissues in their bodies, including the bones. The production of cartilage, tendons, and joints depend on the structural integrity of N-Acetylglucosamine. The mucous known as the glycocalyx, or literally, "sugar coat" is secreted in humans by the epithelial cells which line all the mucous membranes, from nasal cavities to the top to the bottom of the alimentary tube, as well as the protective and slippery lining of our blood vessels. The glycocalyx is composed largely of N-Acetylglucosamine and N-Acetylneuraminic acid (also known as sialic acid), with carbohydrate end of N-Acetylneuraminic acid of this protective glycoprotein forming the terminal sugar that is exposed to the contents of both the gut and the arterial lumen (opening). WGA's unique binding specificity to these exact two glycoproteins is not accidental. Nature has designed WGA perfectly to attach to, disrupt, and gain entry through these mucosal surfaces.

It may strike some readers as highly suspect that wheat - the "staff of life" - which has garnered a reputation for "wholesome goodness" the world over, could contain a powerful health-disrupting anti-nutrient, which is only now coming to public attention. WGA has been overshadowed by the other proteins in wheat. Humans - not Nature - have spent thousands of years cultivating and selecting for larger and larger quantities of these proteins. These pharmacologically active, opiate-like proteins in gluten are known as gluten exorphins (A5, B4, B5, C) and gliadorphins. They may effectively anesthetize us, in the short term, to the long term, adverse effects of WGA. Gluten also contains exceptionally high levels of the excitotoxic l-aspartic and l-glutamic amino acids, which can also be highly addictive, not unlike their synthetic shadow molecules aspartame and monosodium glutamate.1In a previous article on the topic,The Dark Side of Wheat: New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance2, we explored the role that these psychotropic qualities in grains played in ushering in civilization at the advent of the Neolithic transition 10,000 BC. No doubt the narcotic properties of wheat are the primary reason why suspicions about its toxicity have remained merely speculation for thousands upon thousands of years.

WGA is most concentrated in the seed of the wheat plant, likely due to the fact that the seeds are the "babies" of these plants and are invested with the entire hope for continuance of their species. Protecting the seed against predation is necessarily a first priority.WGA is an exceedingly small glycoprotein (36 kilodaltons) and is concentrated deep within the embryo of the wheat berry (approximately 1 microgram per grain). WGA migrates during germination to the roots and tips of leaves, as the developing plant begins to project itself into the world and outside the safety of its seed. In its quest for nourishment from the soil, its roots are challenged with fungi and bacteria that seek to invade the plant. In its quest for sunlight and other nourishment from the heavens the plant's leaves become prey to insects, birds, mammals, etc. Even after the plant has developed beyond the germination and sprouting stages it contains almost 50% of the levels of lectin found in the dry seeds. Approximately one third of this WGA is in the roots and two thirds is in the shoot, for at least 34 days.3

Each grain contains about 1 microgram of WGA. That seems hardly enough to do any harm to animals our size. Lectins, however, are notoriously dangerous even in minute doses and can be fatal when inhaled or injected directly into the bloodstream. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control it takes only 500 micrograms (about half a grain of sand) of ricin (a lectin extracted from castor bean casings) to kill a human. A single, one ounce slice of wheat bread contains approximately 500 micrograms of WGA, which if it were refined to its pure form and injected directly into the blood, could, in theory, have platelet aggregating and erythrocyte agglutinizing effects strong enough to create an obstructive clot such as occurs in myocardial infarction and stroke. This, however, is not a likely route of exposure and in reality the immediate pathologies associated with lectins like ricin and WGA are largely restricted to the gastrointestinal tract where they cause mucosal injuries. The point is that WGA, even in small quantities, could have profoundly adverse effects, given suitable conditions. Ironically, WGA is exceptionally small, at 36 kilodaltons (approximately the mass of 36,000 hydrogen atoms) and it can pass through the cell membranes of the intestine with ease. The intestines will allow passage of molecules up to 1,000 kilodaltons in size. Moreover, one wheat kernel contains 16.7 trillion individual molecules of WGA, with each molecule of WGA having four N-Acetylglucosamine binding sites. The disruptive and damaging effects of whole wheat bread consumption are formidable in someone whose protective mucosal barrier has been compromised by something as simple as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) use, or a recent viral or bacterial infection. The common consumption of both wheat and NSAIDs may suggest the frequency of the WGA vicious cycle. Anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen and aspirin, increase intestinal permeabilty and may cause absorption of even larger than normal quantities of pro-inflammatory WGA. Conversely, the inflammation caused by the absorption of WGA lectin is the very reason there is a great need for the inflammation-reducing effects of NSAIDs.

One way to gauge just how pervasive the adverse effects of WGA are among wheat-consuming populations is the popularity of the dietary supplement glucosamine.In the USA, a quarter billion dollars' worthof the glucosamine is sold annually.The main source of glucosamine on the market is from the N-Acetylglucosamine rich chitin exoskelotons of crustaceans, like shrimp and crab. Glucosamine is used for reducing pain and inflammation. We do not have a dietary deficiency of the pulverized shells of dead sea critters, just as our use of NSAIDs is not caused by a deficiency of these synthetic chemicals in our diet. When we consume glucosamine supplements, the WGA, instead of binding to our tissues, binds to the pulverized chitin in the glucosamine supplements, sparing us from the full impact of WGA. Many millions of Americans who have greatly reduced their pain and suffering by ingesting glucosamine and NSAIDs may be better served by removing wheat, the underlying cause of their malaise, from their diets. This would result in even greater relief from pain and inflammation along with far less dependency on palliative supplements and medicines alike.

To further underscore this point, the following are several ways that WGA depletes our health while glucosamine works against it:

WGA may be Pro-inflammatory

At exceedingly small concentrations (nanomolar) WGA stimulates the synthesis of pro-inflammatory chemical messengers (cytokines) including Interleukin 1, Interleukin 6 and Interleukin 8 in intestinal and immune cells.4 WGA has been shown to induce NADPH-Oxidase in human neutrophils associated with the "respiratory burst" that results in the release of inflammatory free radicals called reactive oxygen species5 WGA has been shown to play a causative role in patients with chronic thin gut inflammation.6

WGA may be Immunotoxic

WGA induces thymus atrophy in rats7and may directly bind to, and activate, leukocytes.8 Anti-WGA antibodies in human sera have been shown to cross-react with other proteins, indicating that they may contribute to autoimmunity.9 Indeed, WGA appears to play a role in the pathogenesis of celiac disease (CD) that is entirely distinct from that of gluten, due to significantly higher levels of IgG and IgA antibodies against WGA found in patients with CD, when compared with patients with other intestinal disorders. These antibodies have also shown not to cross-react with gluten antigens.10,11

WGA may be Neurotoxic

WGA can pass through the blood brain barrier (BBB) through a process called "adsorptive endocytosis"12 and is able to travel freely among the tissues of the brain which is why it is used as a marker for tracing neural circuits.13 WGA's ability to pass through the BBB, pulling bound substances with it, has piqued the interest of pharmaceutical developers who are looking to find ways of delivering drugs to the brain. WGA has a unique binding affinity for N-Acetylneuraminic acid, a crucial component of neuronal membranes found in the brain, such as gangliosides which have diverse roles such as cell-to-cell contact, ion conductance, as receptors, and whose dysfunction has been implicated in neurodegenerative disorders. WGA may attach to the protective coating on the nerves known as the myelin sheath14 and is capable of inhibiting nerve growth factor15 which is important for the growth, maintenance, and survival of certain target neurons. WGA binds to N-Acetylglucosamine which is believed to function as an atypical neurotransmitter functioning in nocioceptive (pain) pathways.

WGA may be Cytotoxic

WGA has been demonstrated to be cytotoxic to both normal and cancerous cell lines, capable of inducing either cell cycle arrest or programmed cell death (apoptosis).16

WGA may interfere with Gene Expression

WGA demonstrates both mitogenic and anti-mitogenic17 activities. WGA may prevent DNA replication18 WGA binds to polysialic acid (involved in post translational modifications) and blocks chick tail bud development in embryogenesis, indicating that it may influence both genetic and epigenetic factors.

WGA may disrupt Endocrine Function

WGA has also been shown to have an insulin-mimetic action, potentially contributing to weight gain and insulin resistance.19 WGA has been implicated in obesity and "leptin resistance" by blocking the receptor in the hypothalamus for the appetite satiating hormone leptin. WGA stimulates epidermal growth factor which when upregulated is associated with increased risk of cancer. WGA has a particular affinity for thyroid tissue and has been shown to bind to both benign and malignant thyroid nodules.20 WGA interferes with the production of secretin from the pancreas, which can interfere with digestion and can cause pancreatic hypertrophy. WGA attaches to sperm and ovary cells, indicating it may adversely influence fertility.

WGA may be Cardiotoxic

WGA induces platelet activation and aggregration. 21 WGA has a potent, disruptive effect on platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1, which plays a key role in tissue regeneration and safely removing neutrophils from our blood vessels.22

WGA may adversely effect Gastrointestinal Function

WGA causes increased shedding of the intestinal brush border membrane, reduction in surface area, acceleration of cell losses and shortening of villi, via binding to the surface of the villi. WGA can mimic the effects of epidermal growth factor (EGF) at the cellular level, indicating that the crypt hyperplasia seen in celiac disease may be due to the growth-promoting effects of WGA. WGA causes cytoskeleton degradation in intestinal cells, contributing to cell death and increased turnover. WGA decreases levels of heat shock proteins in gut epithelial cells leaving these cells less well protected against the potentially harmful content of the gut lumen.23

WGA may share pathogenic similarities with certain Viruses

There are a number of interesting similarities between WGA lectin and viruses.Both viral particles and WGA lectin are several orders of magnitude smaller than the cells they enter, and subsequent to their attachment to the cell membrane, are taken into the cell through a process of endocytosis.Both influenza and WGA gain entry through the sialic acid coatings of our mucous membranes (glycocalyx) each with a sialic acid specific substance, the neuriminidase enzyme for viruses andthesialic acid binding sites on the WGA lectin.Once the influenza virus and WGAlectin have made their way into wider circulation in the host body they are both capable of blurring the line in the host between self-and non-self.Influenza accomplishes this by incorporating itself into the genetic material of our cells and taking over the protein production machinery to make copies of itself, with the result that our immune system must attack its own virally transformed cell, in order to clear the infection.Studies done with herpes simplex virus have shown that WGA has the capacity to block viral infectivity through competitively binding to the same cell surface receptors, indicating that they may effect cells through very similar pathways.WGA has the capability of influencing the gene expression of certain cells, e.g. mitogenic/anti-mitogenic action,and like other lectins associated with autoimmunity, e.g. soy lectin,and viruses like Epstein-Barr Virus,WGA may be capable of causing certain cells to exhibit class 2 human leukocyte antigens (HLA-II), which mark them for autoimmune destruction by white blood cells.Since human antibodies to WGA have been shown to cross react with other proteins, even if WGA does not directly transform the phenotype of our cells into "other," the resulting cross-reactivity of antibodies to WGA with our own cells would result in autoimmunity nonetheless.

Given the multitude of ways in which WGA may disrupt our health, gain easy entry through our intestine into systemic circulation, and remain refractory to traditional antibody-based clinical diagnoses, it is altogether possible that the consumption of wheat is detracting from the general health of the wheat-consuming world and that we have been, for all these years, "digging our graves with our teeth."This perspective may come as a great surprise to the health food industry whose particular love affair for whole wheat products has begun to go mass market. The increasingly hyped-up marketing of"whole wheat," "sprouted grain," and "wheat germ" enriched products, all of which may have considerably higher levels of WGA than their processed, fractionized, non-germinated and supposedly "less healthy" equivalents,may contribute to making us all significantly less healthy.

It is my belief that a careful study of the wheat plant will reveal that, despite claims to the contrary, man does not have dominion over nature. All that he deems fit for his consumption may not be his inborn right. Though the wheat plant's apparently defenseless disposition would seem to make it suitable for mass human consumption, it has been imbued with a multitude of invisible"thorns," with WGA being its smallest and perhaps most potent defense against predation. While WGA may be an uninvited guest at our table, wheat is equally inhospitable to us. Perhaps the courteous thing to do, having realized our mistaken intrusion, is to lick our wounds and simply go our separate ways. Perhaps as the distance between man and his infatuation with wheat grows, he will grow closer to himself and will discover far more suitable forms of nourishment that Nature has not impregnated with such high levels of addictive and potentially debilitating proteins.

Notes

1 Desmond S. T. Nicholl, An Introduction to Genetic Engineering,3rd Edition ISBN-13: 9780521615211

2 Ji, Sayer "The Dark Side of Wheat - New Perspectives on Celiac Disease & Wheat Intolerance." Winter, 08', Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

3 Distribution of Wheat Germ Agglutinin in Young Wheat Plants. Plant Physiol. 1980 Nov;66(5):950-955. PMID:16661559

4 Effects of wheat germ agglutinin on human gastrointestinal epithelium: insights from an experimental model of immune/epithelial cell interaction.Toxicol and Applied Pharmacology 2009 Jun 1;237(2):146-53. Epub 2009 Mar 28. PMID 19332085

5 Wheat germ agglutinin induces NADPH-oxidase activity in human neutrophils by interaction with mobilizable receptors. Infection and Immunity.1999 Jul;67(7):3461-8. PMID 10377127

6 Lectin glycosylation as a marker of thin gut inflammation. The FASEB Journal. 2008;22:898.3

7 Antinutritive effects of wheat-germ agglutinin and other N-acetylglucosamine-specific lectins.The British Journal of Nutrition 1993 Jul;70(1):313-21. PMID: 8399111

8 Lectinlike properties of pertussis toxin. Infection and Immunity1989 Jun;57(6):1854-7.PMID:2722243

9 Natural human antibodies to dietary lectins. FEBS Lett.1996 Nov 18;397(2-3):139-42. PMID: 8955334

10 Antibodies to wheat germ agglutinin in coeliac disease. Clin Exp Immunol. 1986 January; 63(1): 95 - 100. PMID: 3754186

11 Elevated levels of serum antibodies to the lectin wheat germ agglutinin in celiac children lend support to the gluten-lectin theory of celiac disease. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 1995 May;6(2):98-102. PMID: 7581728

12 Transcytotic pathway for blood-borne protein through the blood-brain barrier. Proceedings from the National Academy of Sciences U S A. 1988 Jan;85(2):632-6. PMID:2448779

13 Transsynaptic transport of wheat germ agglutinin expressed in a subset of type II taste cells of transgenic mice. BMC Neuroscience. 2008 Oct 2;9:96. PMID: 18831764

14 Distribution of concanavalin A and wheat germ agglutinin binding sites in the rat peripheral nerve fibres revealed by lectin/glycoprotein-gold histochemistry. The Histochem Journal.1996 Jan;28(1):7-12.PMID:8866643

15 Wheat germ agglutinin, concanavalin A, and lens culinalis agglutinin block the inhibitory effect of nerve growth factor on cell-free phosphorylation of Nsp100 in PC12h cells. Cell Struct and Function 1989 Feb;14(1):87-93. PMID:2720800

16 Wheat germ lectin induces G2/M arrest in mouse L929 fibroblasts. J Cell Biochem.2004 Apr 15;91(6):1159-73.PMID:15048871

17 Wheat germ agglutinin and concanavalin A inhibit the response of human fibroblasts to peptide growth factors by a post-receptor mechanism. J Cell Physiol. 1985 Sep;124(3):474-80. PMID:2995421

18 DNA replication in cell-free extracts from Xenopus eggs is prevented by disrupting nuclear envelope function. J Cell Sci. 1992 Jan;101 ( Pt 1):43-53.PMID:1569128

19 Effects of wheat germ agglutinin and concanavalin A on the accumulation of glycosaminoglycans in pericellular matrix of human dermal fibroblasts. A comparison with insulin. Acta Biochim Pol. 2001;48(2):563-72. PMID:11732625

20 Analysis of lectin binding in benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Arch Pathol Lab Med.1989 Feb;113(2):186-9. PMID:2916907

21 Further characterization of wheat germ agglutinin interaction with human platelets: exposure of fibrinogen receptors.Thromb Haemost.1986 Dec 15;56(3):323-7.PMID:3105108

22 Wheat germ agglutinin-induced platelet activation via platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1: involvement of rapid phospholipase C gamma 2 activation by Src family kinases. Biochemistry. 2001 Oct 30;40(43):12992-3001.PMID:11669637

23 Decreased levels of heat shock proteins in gut epithelial cells after exposure to plant lectins. Gut. 2000 May;46(5):679-87.PMID:10764712

• 3 months later...

Im sold on this idea, and Im trying to follow it as best I can.

One question, though- Even though the bulk of the diet should be paleo, is it ok to make exceptions to carb up before, during, and after training or competition? I stay at a pretty low bodyfat %(maybe 5-6%)- should that mean I should have more frequent cheat meals with brown rice or quinoa or something?

Loren Cordain has written a book on Paleo Nutrition for Athletes, which describes how to carb up in a way that is least conflicting with the Paleo principles. I do believe it's geared towards long-distance runners etc. but I'm sure there's a lot of helpful information in it.

I read one paleo book that detailed breaking your diet into phases with quick sugar before, during, and after workout and then back to more paleo style. I was just wondering if the people on this forum support that tactic, or if they are suggesting that you should be all paleo all the time, even when going into competition/training.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.