This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC PE1 form check

Started by athleticandrey, April 19, 2015 · 3 Replies · 91 Views

athleticandrey

Hi guys, I just filmed my last set of RC PE1, I'm quite far from mastery at this point  mostly due to lack of endurance. But I'm interested in hearing a critique of my form to make sure that I'm on the right track. Any input will be higly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Sensei JP

Your elbows are far too low.  You need a 90 degree angle from shoulder to elbow to hand.  Look at the course video.  At the top position, the athlete would be in the proper position to flex, show off his biceps.  At the top of every rep, imagine posing for a bodybuilder magazine.  That should be a helpful cue.

 

You also tend to hold the top position for a long time.  I held it for maybe a second, just enough to kill momentum and not bounce.  I also minimized time in the bottom position, as more hanging just leads to a more tired grip.

athleticandrey

thank you for your feedback, I understand that in the course video  the athlete shows a 90 degree angle, and I think that's how I did the excercise in the begining but as I worked on it more  the angle started to decrease, but I thought that it was a good thing as it increases the ROM and it also seems to make the movement harder. But I guess I was wrong.

athleticandrey

Also I searched the forum for details about the correct amount of elbow flexion in the hinge row and it seems that some members actually recommend the full elbow flexion for this movement. any thoughts?

 

 

Joshua Naterman said:

To me, the major points during the hinge rows are:

 

  1. Be pushing the elbows directly down to the floor the whole time, no matter where the rest of your body is in space.
  2. Don't let the elbows go behind the back of the ribs
  3. Make sure hands are at shoulder level at the top. I find that the back of my hands are in line with the front of my shoulders at the top.
  4. Keep weight off of glutes at all times.

I find that actively working on these cues, and not worrying about too much else, is going to make the exercise work correctly. Without getting into too many details, I find that this requires your body to :

  • avoid anterior tilt
  • engage the traps
  • engage the lats
  • place most of the weight on the upper body pulling musculature

It fixes a whole lot of things without overthinking, and makes the exercise a whole lot harder at first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joshua Naterman said:

If your scaps are depressed, there is a very low chance of you having your hands at ear level because most people do not have very short upper arms and very long lower arms... Everyone is build differently, but I can't have my hands at ear level without something being very, very wrong during this movement. If someone has short upper arms and long lower arms, they're going to have their hands by their ears, but I am not one of those people. Mine are fairly even.

 

In my opinion, and based on what we saw at the seminars, and based on my personal results (the least important thing to everyone else, but the most important to me) this aspect of the form in the video is sub-par. Those hands are practically at the top of the head, and I don't see the lats doing much of anything, while the obliques are clearly doing a good bit of work at the top.

 

What I am describing is much more difficult, but I do believe that it should be considered the mastery form. It matches what has been described by everyone in all of the hinge row threads. Additionally, this form turns the exercise into a scalable, effective lat strength movement that carries over well to all future pulls. 

 

Everyone can discuss this to death if they want, I've said what I believe on the matter. I'm going to go get some sleep, wake up, study, work out, go to work, and repeat.

and here's the link to that thread:

 

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11969-exact-shoulder-position-hinge-rows/?hl=%20hands%20%20level%20%20with%20%20the%20%20shoulders

 

 

I know that I dug up an old thread so perhaps the information in there is already outdated.