As I was writing further in my journal, about HS. HS/PE's mobility focuses on the shoulders where all shoulder heads are stimulated. (Thinking of the anterior shoulders getting that work in (as well as other back muscles including the traps). So if you don't have the handstand training program (keep it in mind as you progress with Foundation 1). Your shoulders, when ready,will receive a great form of... (I don't know what else to say further about that. Just imagine for now.)
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
One more shoulder pain victim
Started by Giovanni Garcea, April 17, 2015 · 29 Replies · 1,443 Views
Hi, I want to update this thread with some positive news. I've been working with my PT for the last couple of months (one more visit to go) with very positive results.
I don't have any more pain during the day and most movements are pain free. The issue is not fully healed, so if I really poke with my fingers in the area or I do some specific overhead movements I can still feel something, but improving.
We worked mostly on muscles around the scapula and rotator cuff. It was shocking to see that it was difficult to even complete a few reps of external rotation with the lightest band or how easily I would get fatigued by doing exercises that required retraction. Things are progressing well in term of strength, even though the left shoulder is still much weaker than the right (the right shoulder was the one injured, but during the progress I discovered this big left/right imbalance, so I've been working on that too).
Mobility and coordination have also improved. Also all the various click noises have reduced quite a bit.
I'm back exercising all the 7 foundation progressions with a couple of regressions. I restarted HBP/PE1 from week 1, as I just want to be sure that I can work through it without any pain. Also for RC/PE1 I decided to follow the 5x60s hold pre-progression that Coach suggested for people struggling with this exercise. I clearly have weak retraction and some residual problems in overhead movements, so better safe than sorry...
I'm also back on the TB stretch series, but I've been going through it only until SE15 (inverted cat). I plan to now try the scaled down versions of the later stretches that have been published recently.
I'm not doing H1 yet, I want to be 100% pain free in all situations before getting that back in the schedule.
Huge bonus from all this work with the PT: my terrible hunched shoulders and forward head posture have dramatically improved! My wife even says that now I look "normal". This single improvement is worth a lot to me, as I always wanted a better posture but never taken the proper steps.
Other bonus is that I now I have a much better understanding of how the shoulder works and of the meaning behind the various exercises/movements, so I'm much more aware of what's going on and this, I believe, will help me a lot in the future.
I'm very grateful for all the suggestions I received in this thread and to have worked under the guidance of a very good PT.
Not totally out of the woods yet, but steady improvement week after week.
Awesome news brother! Thanks for the update and keep at it. I'm in the same boat, I share your pain and know what it's like to make a slow recovery. But this stuff has made the most improvement that I've ever done as well. Blows me away still when i do certain iMs involving the shoulder that's hurts a little at the time but for days later it feels better than it ever has. Makes no sense to me but Im down with it. GST till the end...
Excellent ![]()
That's great to hear.