Is it feasible to run F1 concurrently with a weights programme?

Started by redneck_fitness, April 16, 2015 · 5 Replies · 2,095 Views

redneck_fitness

Hi all,

I'm considering buying the F1 plan as I've always wanted to do more calisthenics. I already train with free weights 3-4 times per week- I'm a student S&C coach so I won't be stopping weight lifting any time soon.

Based on your experiences, would you say that completing 2-3 F1 workouts a week in addition to what I already do (I also study Judo twice a week) would be feasible or would it not allow adequate time for muscle repair?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Joshua Slocum

You could do it but you would not make much progress in either program. Think of it this way - if you were to double your current volume of weight-lifting, what effect would that have on your progress? There may be elements of F1 you can do productively alongside a weightlifting program, but at a certain point you'll find that your weightlifting program and Foundation are getting in each other's way due to lack of recovery. 

 

If you don't want to give up weights, you could do just the mobility portion of F1 and eschew the strength parts. Or you could relegate weight-lifting to maintenance work - low reps, low volume, done to maintain strength and form. 

 

 

H1 can definitely be worked alongside a weightlifting program, though - maybe give that a try for a couple of months and see how things go for you?

Jon Douglas

Josh pretty much said it all :)

DBeckerman

Hi Mark,

I also study judo so good to see someone who studies the gentle art! I run back squats and deadlifts alongside foundation as well as light overhead press.

Personally I find judo hard enough to eat into my recovery in Foundation.

Hope this helps!

DB

redneck_fitness

Thanks a lot gents, great to receive such well thought out and thorough replies.

I think I'll stick with the weights for now but when I'm done with my current periodized programme, I'll look into doing the F1 by itself.

DBeckerman- I do sometimes wonder about just how 'gentle' Judo is! How have you found gymnastic training compliments your performance on the mat?

DBeckerman

Hey Mark,

I find GST helps with my movement most of all. Well that's where I notice the most benefit. The ankle and knee stability is great from it too! The SLS work is really helping my spring in any harai/ uchi mata variation.

DB