This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder pain

Started by vannybute, April 16, 2015 · 65 Replies · 1,573 Views

vannybute

We will show him to an ortho as soon as possible. We need a prescription for a PT from an ortho.

vannybute

Actually the pain on the front of shoulder still arises, not when standing, but when in plank :( But not in a planche lean

Giovanni Garcea
GenericGymnast said:

Actually the pain on the front of shoulder still arises, not when standing, but when in plank :( But not in a planche lean

I'm curious. Planche lean is sPL/PE5, why is your son exercising that? Did he already mastered all the elements from PE1 to PE4? I tought you just started foundation a few days ago...

vannybute

He just tried to lean forward and held it for a couple seconds, hurt much less.

Alexander Egebak

If your form is not perfect you should not even try advanced variations of the same exercise.

vannybute

Okay. Will keep in mind :)

vannybute

had it checked out by ortho 2 days ago. Seems to be AC joint pain and possibly the beginning of osteolisis of the clavicle!!!! He's going to rest even more and just start at week 1. Better safe than sorry :P

Mark Collins

Glad to hear you getting a medical assessment. Was there any bone changes with x-Ray? What radiological scans were taken?

Now you definetely have to progress slowly.

vannybute

No scans taken yet; doctor said to return if pain continued even with rest+ice+meds.

vannybute

My son's clavicle pain is back and is really bad, BUT mainly in one position. It doesn't hurt in protraction as shown here:http://postimg.org/image/my46uu9e7/, it only hurts here:http://postimg.org/image/5yv8fky6n/

 

It also feels a little stressed even when he doesn't exercise.

Cole Dano

He needs to stay away from anything that might stress it until healed.

vannybute

Is it okay for him to do scap shrugs as shown here: https://vid.me/5Qss?This does not cause any pain, as opposed to when he raises his shoulders a little up (this causes tighter protraction). I have a feeling that the kind of pain he feels when he protracts with raised shoulders and tight protraction is normal, even I had it. Also, his problem seems to be that of a muscle beneath the clavicle, because when I checked his clavicle, it seemed his muscles right beneath the clavicles were the actual problem in that position.

 

So, he can continue doing scap shrugs like that?

Alexander Egebak

What we are doing here is guess work. What you really need to do is to fix the problem, not to hold on to whatever progress your son has achieved with the risk of aggravating the injury.

 

Get to a seminar or go to a physical therapist where you can get help. Or if need be, in any instance, rest it out and start rehab when months have passed.

Cole Dano
GenericGymnast said:

I have a feeling that the kind of pain he feels when he protracts with raised shoulders and tight protraction is normal, even I had it. Also, his problem seems to be that of a muscle beneath the clavicle, because when I checked his clavicle, it seemed his muscles right beneath the clavicles were the actual problem in that position.

This is not normal.

Cole Dano
GenericGymnast said:

I have a feeling that the kind of pain he feels when he protracts with raised shoulders and tight protraction is normal, even I had it. Also, his problem seems to be that of a muscle beneath the clavicle, because when I checked his clavicle, it seemed his muscles right beneath the clavicles were the actual problem in that position.

This is not normal.

As Alexander said, in addition to making sure your sons sees the appropriate medical professional a trip to a GB seminar or session with a trained GB coach will save you hours of guess work.

vannybute

Do you know if I can find such a session nearby in California? Are there any reasonably advanced people training GB, for instance, in socal?