Training and demanding work schedules

Started by spinelli, April 3, 2015 · 3 Replies · 1,860 Views

spinelli

Hi all,

I've been getting back into foundation and handstand with great success over the past two months. however I've run into a problem. Every few weeks or so now during the summertime I'll be working at a music festival. This means that I work 10-14 hour days back to back, combined with a pretty poor diet consisting of burgers and pizza (whatever the caterers give me basically) and sleeping in pretty poor conditions so rest isn't great either. 
I did the first of these festivals last weekend and I've not felt able enough to train. It was my rest week last week so I was hoping I'd be fine to move onto week 9 but it's just not possible. Any advice  as to what I should do with my training? Just take a light week after each festival regardless of where it fits in my cycle and delay my foundation for a week?

 

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything relevant apart form training for holidays which I don't think applies.

 

Cheers 

chuchodani

Even if you feel like you can't train, go for it. Last year I was in a similar situation working in a restaurant as a waiter and some days from 9am to 1am. Just do whatever you can without pushing too hard, because you're not recovering the way you need, and if you go near to failure it will lead to injuries due to the poor recovery. Just think in the ratio that when you have a hardcore training you need to focus equally hard on your recovery.  

spinelli

Ok thanks will give that a go. on those weeks I'll strip the workout back just to the portion working on my weak links. Will report back next time I'm in this situation

chuchodani

For example when I was training under poor recovery conditions, I just stay a little bit more on the elements until they feel not too taxing, for example in normal training situations aiming to reach 5x5 on single leg squats, after I hit 4x4 (it's just an example) on one workout, the next week I'll go directly to 5x5, but under bad recovery conditions I would spend like two or three weeks in the same 4x4 fashion until I feel is not too demanding.