This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gym refuses to let me do Jefferson Curls

Started by Alan Tseng, March 27, 2015 · 30 Replies · 1,332 Views

Alan Tseng

I live in a dormitory and workout in my dorm's gym. Today this new employee I've never seen before prevented me from doing JC's (she was worried about getting blamed if I injure myself.). even though I haven't had a problem from doing this for 9 months in this very same gym. I talked to manager and there's no waiver form I can sign. Very annoyed.

Joshua Slocum

That's annoying. Can you learn what her schedule is an work around it? What weight are you currently working at?

Alan Tseng

There's probably very limited time to work around it since it's only opened at night 7-11 pm. Since it's so little hours they usually work the entire shift. Currently on 65 pounds

Micawberian

Does the manager have a manager that you could talk to?

I would think about pulling off some elaborate ruse. Get someone to write you a letter stating you need to do this exercise for your therapy, in writing. And show them this note. If they still hold back, go higher up the chain of command and persist. Heh, maybe someone like coach or mark collins would be willing to lend a hand...

 

In a world of bench pressing and half-squats, I find your story to be truly depressing. I sympathize :(

Jason Dupree

I think you should send her over to the Foundation one wiki page about Jefferson curls. I'd link it but Idk how and it's easy to find. I wouldn't work around her until you at least tried to stamp out ignorance. Maybe she would end up liking gymnastics? If you know what you are doing is right, and safe, stick to your guns!

Ravn

Gotta love the conventions.

Cole Dano

Really funny, here I get the opposite all the time, that you should never bend down with a straight back. Of course that's yoga students and with no weight. Sometimes it seems we've lost the big picture about how training and adaptation work.

Jacob Morsbøl

How about spending a few buck on some flowers and a box of chocolate, and simply tell her that even though you appreciate her care for your wellbeing you would like to continue doing JC! Because they rocks!

 

This, of course, is only a good solution if you live in a country were flowers and a box of chocolate only costs a few buck. They don't do in Denmark, so I would do either flowers or chocolate.

Alan Tseng

To be fair to them, they're not worried about the rounding of the spine. They're more worried that I will fall over while leaning down and hit my head somewhere.

I told them that exercise is irreplaceable but they suggested to me a combination of a simple hamstring stretch for the stretching of posterior leg muscles and barbell squat for the spinal strengthening aspect :(

Cole Dano

If it's just the fact that you are standing on a bench that's the problem, you can try bending your arms at the bottom.

Wolf with one Ear

Curious view on tort liability.  I am glad to live in a state that recognizes that if you fall over because of the manner in which you have chosen to train, it is your own problem, and not the gym for not having kept you from not falling over.  

Keilani Gutierrez
Cole Dano said:

If it's just the fact that you are standing on a bench that's the problem, you can try bending your arms at the bottom.

yeah or use a smaller platform. a bench might be intimidating for them but how about a few of those blocks they use for an aerobics class? if they have one or two available they might not feel so alarmed and let you be.

Eric Baum
Alan Tseng said:

To be fair to them, they're not worried about the rounding of the spine. They're more worried that I will fall over while leaning down and hit my head somewhere.

 

Use a helmet

Alan Tseng
Cole Dano said:

If it's just the fact that you are standing on a bench that's the problem, you can try bending your arms at the bottom.

Haven't thought of this one before.  Would there be any differences between arms straight and arms bent in Jefferson Curls?

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:

yeah or use a smaller platform. a bench might be intimidating for them but how about a few of those blocks they use for an aerobics class? if they have one or two available they might not feel so alarmed and let you be.

They only have one of them unfortunately, and the weight plates itself is higher than the aerobic step-ups

Joshua Slocum
Baum said:

Use a helmet

Actually, that's worth a shot! Or maybe you can put a mat down. 

vinca_minor

stand on a few 45lbs weight plates.

Keilani Gutierrez

 

 

 

Alan Tseng said:

 

They only have one of them unfortunately, and the weight plates itself is higher than the aerobic step-ups

hmm....then how about being on the aerobic step while holding the plates or hold two dumbbells? is that possible for you? that's what i'd do OR use more smaller plates than bigger plates, if there's plenty available. what do you think?

Alexander Egebak

Actually, putting on a biking helmet (or similar) might help to signalize that you know what you are doing and that you have taken their concerns seriously; not doing what they are saying by putting on a helmet is humorous, and at least they cannot help but to smile and say no again in worst case scenario.

 

Of ocurse, one would feel pretty stupid with such a device so make they that they notice you right away so that people do not think you are serious :)

kingzlo

Perhaps you can use smaller plates; replacing 45lbs for a bunch of 10's on each side of the bar on the barbell for that range of motion.  That's what I use with a standard barbell, and with that there is no need for a platform (like a stepper).  Or use weighted dumbbells.

Alan Tseng
Baum said:

Use a helmet

 

That probably solves the potential "injury" issues.  However they also have guidelines on what I'm allowed or not allowed to wear to the gym. :(

 

 

Joshua Slocum said:

Actually, that's worth a shot! Or maybe you can put a mat down. 

I suggested the mat to them but  they still didn't like the idea. :(

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:

hmm....then how about being on the aerobic step while holding the plates or hold two dumbbells? is that possible for you? that's what i'd do OR use more smaller plates than bigger plates, if there's plenty available. what do you think?

What I meant was that if I'm standing on the aerobic step-ups, the height of the plate (even if I use smaller plates) is higher so that before I can reach full range of motion, the plate already hits the ground (thus prevents me from going lower).

 

However I'm considering next time to use a combination of suggestions.  Stack a couple 45 pound plates and put aerobic step on top as well as use a combination of smaller plates for the weight itself.  I'll probably set it up away from prying eyes too.

jfreaksho

I'm not really at the Jefferson Curls point yet, but a few options:

 

1.  Most gyms have boxes for box jumps and box squats.  Usually there is one higher than an aerobic step but lower than a bench- maybe 10-12 inches or so.  Do you have access to one of these?

 

2.  Do you have a training partner?  Could you do this exercise with a "spotter"?

 

3.  Is it possible to rig a cable machine for a rowing motion and use that instead?

 

4.  Can you get a sandbag or something similar and do it at home?  Steal a couple of plates from the gym and stand on a chair?

 

There might be valid reasons to discount the above options, but I thought I'd ask.

Keilani Gutierrez
Alan Tseng said:

That probably solves the potential "injury" issues.  However they also have guidelines on what I'm allowed or not allowed to wear to the gym. :(

 

 

I suggested the mat to them but  they still didn't like the idea. :(

 

What I meant was that if I'm standing on the aerobic step-ups, the height of the plate (even if I use smaller plates) is higher so that before I can reach full range of motion, the plate already hits the ground (thus prevents me from going lower).

 

However I'm considering next time to use a combination of suggestions.  Stack a couple 45 pound plates and put aerobic step on top as well as use a combination of smaller plates for the weight itself.  I'll probably set it up away from prying eyes too.

be sure to let us know how it goes. #thumbsup God speed.

Alan Tseng
jfreaksho said:

I'm not really at the Jefferson Curls point yet, but a few options:

 

1.  Most gyms have boxes for box jumps and box squats.  Usually there is one higher than an aerobic step but lower than a bench- maybe 10-12 inches or so.  Do you have access to one of these?

 

2.  Do you have a training partner?  Could you do this exercise with a "spotter"?

 

3.  Is it possible to rig a cable machine for a rowing motion and use that instead?

 

4.  Can you get a sandbag or something similar and do it at home?  Steal a couple of plates from the gym and stand on a chair?

 

There might be valid reasons to discount the above options, but I thought I'd ask.

1.  Nope, no plyo boxes.

 

2.  I have training partner, but staff refuses even with spotting.

 

3. The cable in the cable machine doesn't have consistent tension in its full ROM so not helpuful

 

4. I rather not use sandbag.  Too annoying to change resistance.  Even if it was doable, theres no room in my dorm.  (no room for even pushups.)  Even if theres room, i still wouldnt.  My dorm once gave me letter of warning for having a non-university issued chair in my room.

red1392

Could a horizontal setup like this using a resistance band work?

 

http://i.imgur.com/AQunXlL.jpg

 

Not ideal as the resistance would vary throughout the movement, and would be lowest where you need it the most but at least there's no risk of falling...

 

Alternatively, maybe find a partner to help pull you into the stretch in the pike position, pressing with his feet against yours?

Bryce H

Have you checked the gym's actual policies? Sounds like the new person only *thinks* she'd be liable. Why not look into the gym's policies yourself to see what they actually say. Then figure out what to do.

 

If the policy/terms and conditions say you're working out at your own risk and that you're responsible for anything you do (which, let's be honest... lots of people have some pretty silly, injury-prone ideas about how they should be working out. So it sounds like something every gym would probably have by default), then point it out to her. ...Followed immediately by doing Jefferson Curls on a stack of benches while giving her a sarcastically disapproving look (and/or sticking your tongue out at her) the whole time. :icon_rolleyes: