This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

List of scapular positions for H1 exercises

Started by Krel, March 22, 2015 · 42 Replies · 5,341 Views

Cole Dano

Sure he does, that's because he's in the overhead position, and while the recco is for the push up position. Nothing complicated on this one.

Maksis Riley

That's because his arms are overhead and not horizontal to the body as with pushups/front support :) the scapula here are mimicking the position for handstand work.

 

Max

 

Edit: oops, didn't see Cole's reply :facepalm:

Daniel Lehnberg
1 hour ago, Cole Dano said:

Sure he does, that's because he's in the overhead position, and while the recco is for the push up position. Nothing complicated on this one.

Thanks both! Ok so just to be clear @Cole Dano, I should be in the pushup position doing these rather than the overhead position? 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

Does this topic still apply to HS1 new interface and exercises?

Thanks,

Felipe

Jon Douglas

Yes- the H1 exercises have not changed, just the interface :)

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Would you mind posting the steps of how to get to a protracted shoulder flexion with outward rotation while standing on your feet? (what I think are the requirements for the shoulder on the handstand position)

Thanks,

Felipe

Alessandro Mainente

Full protraction could be achieved with full shoulders elevation, since serratus anterior which provide protraction it is also involved on elevation. when on full flexion think about externally rotate the upper arm.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Alessandro,

So by fully elevating your shoulders you dont have to worry about protraction right? And to confirm, to externally rotate my upper arms I would have to rotate my left hand counter clockwise and my right hand clockwise right (from my perspective)?

Feli

Alessandro Mainente

Yes got it, fully elevation and upper arm rotation, this will help you to protract more, practice it on a wall handstand.

Harris Frank
Quote
On 3/22/2015 at 7:31 AM, Léo Aïtoulha said:

Freestanding Handstand - Strength :
 
- HS/PE4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 : elevated and protracted

 

Hey guys, 

I'm new to GST and handstand.   Curious about the shoulder positioning for HS/PE1-2-3...  Can I assume it's elevated and protracted as all the other later exercises were indicated this as well?  

Thanks,

Harris

Alessandro Mainente

in PE 1 - 2 - 3 the position it is neutral, think about feeling the weight . you do not need so much focus on non-determinant details.

Chandra Wirawan
On 10/1/2016 at 0:28 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Full protraction could be achieved with full shoulders elevation, since serratus anterior which provide protraction it is also involved on elevation. when on full flexion think about externally rotate the upper arm.

hi 

would mind explain more detail about externally rotate the upper arm

 

thanks

Luke Searra

Chandra to externally rotate the upper arm, have your arms above your head as if you were in a handstand position. Now push your shoulders up like you were pushing against the ceiling, make your armpits as small as your can (an easy way to do this to turn your thumbs outward as far as they can go. Now you have an example of handstand specific shoulder protraction (external rotation), with elevation.

Nino Begovic

All I have to say is sometimes if you look between the keyboard and chair you might find the problem there.. most cases this is where you might find the answer as well

João Forja

Hello everyone!

Should HS/PE2>iM really be done with a retracted and depressed scapular? If I do it that way I can't elevate the bar until it is leveled with my shoulders. However If I have a depressed and protracted scapular I'm able to do it! Probably I'm just lacking shoulder mobility... But I wanted to be sure since I'm stuck on that progression due to not being able to do the mobility exercise with enough quality.

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, João Forja said:

Hello everyone!

Should HS/PE2>iM really be done with a retracted and depressed scapular? If I do it that way I can't elevate the bar until it is leveled with my shoulders. However If I have a depressed and protracted scapular I'm able to do it! Probably I'm just lacking shoulder mobility... But I wanted to be sure since I'm stuck on that progression due to not being able to do the mobility exercise with enough quality.

Thank you!

1

 

The IM2 should be done with neutral and depressed shoulders. elevation avoided, retraction (it appears a bit natural during full extension but try to not open the chest while doing it) , and protraction should be avoided especially protraction.

Giulio Pizzini

Oh, I was retracting like crazy, good to know

Gerhard Uhl

Just read to the end, sorry...