This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to do a full foundation seven workout

Started by Nick Roy, March 21, 2015 · 23 Replies · 1,181 Views

Nick Roy

So I've been doing foundation in two split routines. So I'll do all movements at least twice a week. But I've noticed some people doing F7 for giant workout days 2-3 times per week. I know I don't have that endurance yet as I feel exhausted after SL/MN/SLS days. But when would be the time to shift to f7? Is there anyone out there who has tried both and saw results good or bad, by switching to f7?

Nick Roy

Thanks murray. Can't search f7 anything.

Guess I'll do a slow build up to it later

Murray Truelove

Yeah the search engine isn't always great, I just remembered that post from the other day.

Eventually all this information is going to make its way into a wiki I think.

Nick Roy

Here's hoping

shughes89

Just go for it. Any regression you have from poor conditioning will fix itself over a few weeks.

Nick Roy

Tomorrow should be interesting...

Jon Douglas

A strategy I am playing with at the moment is to run a normal Mon/Tues split workout, and then run F7 on Friday. Works well, especially when time is short during the week.

Personally as finishing foundation gets closer my intention is to commute more days to F7 workouts as I'm able to tick off the progressions. But if you have better recovery than me you may be able to be more ambitious than this :)

Nick Roy

I was actually considering doing that beforehand so when I have more time near weekend I can do the F7.

So you can focus on individual elements the first 2 workouts and build work capacity on the f7 workout.

Have you seen any noticeable results doing that?

Jon Douglas
Nick Roy said:

I was actually considering doing that beforehand so when I have more time near weekend I can do the F7.

So you can focus on individual elements the first 2 workouts and build work capacity on the f7 workout.

Have you seen any noticeable results doing that?

Yes, F7 workouts are excellent; rotate through a split workout down the track and you may be surprised how quick and easy it is to knock your sets out. For me personally I also find that working each element 2x a week is generally the sweet spot that keeps me progressing consistently.

First order of business is just getting the work done. Fit it in where it fits; my schedule is offbeat so I can slot something like this in pretty well. Don't get hung up on one schedule being better than another; as long as you are putting your work in and improving you are way ahead.

Nick Roy
Jon Douglas said:

Yes, F7 workouts are excellent; rotate through a split workout down the track and you may be surprised how quick and easy it is to knock your sets out. For me personally I also find that working each element 2x a week is generally the sweet spot that keeps me progressing consistently.

First order of business is just getting the work done. Fit it in where it fits; my schedule is offbeat so I can slot something like this in pretty well. Don't get hung up on one schedule being better than another; as long as you are putting your work in and improving you are way ahead.

Just tried F7...I finished : ). I was exhausted by the time I made it to hinge rows, but I was able to complete 1 of the 4 sets : D. I can definitely see this helping me down the road. I was gonna do FS stretch, but I'm too damn tired..a bath is in order

Jon Douglas
Nick Roy said:

Just tried F7...I finished : ). I was exhausted by the time I made it to hinge rows, but I was able to complete 1 of the 4 sets : D. I can definitely see this helping me down the road. I was gonna do FS stretch, but I'm too damn tired..a bath is in order

Good fun, right? :)

Nick Roy

It was oddly enough : ). I don't feel too exhausted today. We'll see what happens when I get up to walk around. I'm sure I need the rest

Jon Douglas

Not feeling tired is different to being able to do the workout over again today ;)

Nick Roy

I quickly found that out lol. Just moving my arms around it felt like they were worked. Looking forward to being good to go again tomorrow.

JamesP

Being in the military I think that trying Mon/Tues split with F7 on Fri sounds like a pretty good plan actually.. dont know why i didn't think about that before. I should try it next week and see.. my deload is next week though so should i just wait until after that week to try this schedule?

Leonhard Krahé
JamesP said:

Being in the military I think that trying Mon/Tues split with F7 on Fri sounds like a pretty good plan actually.. dont know why i didn't think about that before. I should try it next week and see.. my deload is next week though so should i just wait until after that week to try this schedule?

Meaning that you do Monday and Tuesday as in the four-day schedule and then on Friday F7? If you try this out, please share how it worked!

Sven Ravnstag

I would wait. I like to keep my deload week pure in terms of what I've been doing up until then. In other words, I like to deload in the context of the three week schedule leading up to it.

Nick Roy
louieclemente said:

Meaning that you do Monday and Tuesday as in the four-day schedule and then on Friday F7? If you try this out, please share how it worked!

I'm doing that this week and it's working well. I put F7 at the beginning of the week and have the 2 day split for today and tomorrow. Doing F7 makes the split work seem easier(probably just broke a mental barrier). That's the result I'm getting so far atleast. We'll see if I feel that way in a month. I think doing it this way too might be better for mastery. You go hard at the start of the week, then test mastery in more focused workouts at the end of the week.

Jon Douglas
Nick Roy said:

I think doing it this way too might be better for mastery. You go hard at the start of the week, then test mastery in more focused workouts at the end of the week.

That's a good idea. I didn't really think of it that way :)

Nick Roy

It's settled. Knocked out my second split routine today. Felt easier than usual. Hit all my reps and sets. F7 with even more reps should be interesting next week...

I recommend trying this type of week setup.

sean

Been keeping an eye on this, thanks Nick for updating. I think I might give this a try as I have been doing split mostly due to time constraints. Tried F7 before but felt certain elements always suffered cause I didn't have the energy I had starting out. Work capacity has improved a bit so this might be worth a try now.

Nick Roy

No problem. I'm the same way, time constraints are an issue. I find I have more time at the start of the week to get things done.

Don't get me wrong. My RC did suffer during F7 because I wasn't used to that much work but that will change. When I did my split later in the week I was stronger like I expected.

kingzlo
shughes89 said:

Just go for it. Any regression you have from poor conditioning will fix itself over a few weeks.

As I've felt stronger to get into F7 today, I agree.   Eventually the body will adjust in that form of strength endurance, especially with ones eating habits.  I didn't think I was going to make it through the first routine "Straddle Hollow Body Rock" @ 5sets of 36reps and feeling the after effect of eating processed pizza last night (minor regrets from the time of taking it out of the oven, lol).

 

Jon Douglas said:

A strategy I am playing with at the moment is to run a normal Mon/Tues split workout, and then run F7 on Friday. Works well, especially when time is short during the week.

Personally as finishing foundation gets closer my intention is to commute more days to F7 workouts as I'm able to tick off the progressions. But if you have better recovery than me you may be able to be more ambitious than this :)

Hey Jon, you actually helped me on this F7 overall, for I'm in Mastery week and decided to get into what you mentioned strategy wise and it actually worked out so far.  I'm looking forward to going full force with F7 next week for it is deload week for me.  That will determine if I should go all out with F7 during the next start of the mini 4 week cycle.

Hey louieclemente, as I stated above, I tried the F7 today, during Mastery (3rd week of 4 week mini cycle).  I noticed that my upper body push/pull was nicely worked, for I had some time to rest during my leg routine workout SLS/PE2 5sets of 10reps (with warmup of 1 set of SLS/PE1 & the Mobility) before getting into the push (HBP/PE2) / pull (RC/PE1).  Overall felt great at the end.  Not too tired at all (in comparison to doing this workout routine of F7 during the earlier times of training in GB.

Meaning that you do Monday and Tuesday as in the four-day schedule and then on Friday F7? If you try this out, please share how it worked!

sean said:

Been keeping an eye on this, thanks Nick for updating. I think I might give this a try as I have been doing split mostly due to time constraints. Tried F7 before but felt certain elements always suffered cause I didn't have the energy I had starting out. Work capacity has improved a bit so this might be worth a try now.

Hey Sean, it should work out if you feel your energy has developed from the time.  I personally looked back into F7 because I felt less fatigue at the end of each of the split routines (including H1 at the end of second half of the split).  

 

I even thought of doing my "HS/PE3" (headstand routine) after the RC/PE1 (the last routine of F7).  But I may integrate it as the start of my martial arts training; if not somewhere in the mix, but definitely put in tomorrow.  I think it has been mentioned a while back in the Foundation One forum or the Handstand One forum.  I'll have to look back (keeping it in mind...  writing in my journal as a checkbox note to look up later).