This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

need help with tuck up and deck squat

Started by John Garuti III, March 18, 2015 · 26 Replies · 995 Views

sean

If you think yoga is good try the new stretch routines...

I don't need any further proof that this movement is majorly hampered by flexibility when I watch my young daughter from a supine position on the floor stand up without help from anything but her legs, and multiple times in a row to boot. I laugh cause I tell my friends how amazing that is and they claim they can do the same...no big deal. I've yet to see one of them sit up, tuck legs under, and stand up without using momentum. Anyone that has tried just doesn't have the flexibility to complete it. Then start asking about this gymnastic stuff...

Coach wouldn't say had it to him he'd probably say stop talkin and show me 15 perfect ones..;D

EduWushu
trw said:

I think the point is that hip flexors connect from the front of the thigh running back to the spine. It seems counterintuitive, but tight hip flexors will pull the lower spine towards the thighs resulting in arching of the lower back, which is exactly what you don't want when tucking. You want to eliminate the arch.

 

Anyway, this is a common beginner mobility issue. I know I had the same issues. What helped me especially in the deck squats was to really focus on the tuck while rolling back toward the squat. I mean really compress as much as possible, knees to chest, heels to ass. This more than anything got my feet under me so I could stand back up smoothly, without stumbling, even despite my tight ankles. And the good news is that when I sorted out my tuck compression both deck squats and tuck-ups just fell into place for me. I didn't have to add any special supplementation.

 

So I say keep working on it, and think about investing in the stretch series because if you follow that program consistently you know you'll have all your bases covered as far as mobility goes.

Im curious as it is a problem for me. How did you sorted then your tuck compression?

 

Thanks