F1/H1 + powerlifting

Started by xabier.errea, March 16, 2015 · 8 Replies · 3,832 Views

xabier.errea

Hi,

 

I've been doing some powerlifting in the last year but recently started to change my mind and deciding to head more to gymnastic stuff..

 

Im intending to buy the F1/H1 package, and I'm wondering if they can be done along some powerlifting, only squats and deadlifts...or would it be too much? 

Awesssss

In F1 you will (amongst others) begin your journey towards single leg squats, and doing weighted squat before mastering single leg squat is not recommended. For deadlift, it's another story. I personally wouldn't be able to do a whole body exercise like deadlift and still do the all core exercises (the push and pull ones can go well with deadlifts), especially the ones requiring lower back.

xabier.errea
Hollow Man said:

In F1 you will (amongst others) begin your journey towards single leg squats, and doing weighted squat before mastering single leg squat is not recommended. For deadlift, it's another story. I personally wouldn't be able to do a whole body exercise like deadlift and still do the all core exercises (the push and pull ones can go well with deadlifts), especially the ones requiring lower back.

I'm currently doing Wendlers 5/3/1 and wondering if F1+H1 can go along with one day of back squat and one day of deadlift per week. As far as I know F1+H1 develop more the upper body.

xabier.errea
Hollow Man said:

In F1 you will (amongst others) begin your journey towards single leg squats, and doing weighted squat before mastering single leg squat is not recommended. For deadlift, it's another story. I personally wouldn't be able to do a whole body exercise like deadlift and still do the all core exercises (the push and pull ones can go well with deadlifts), especially the ones requiring lower back.

I wanted to integrate a 5/3/1 of deadlift and squats one day each on a weekly basis..

Bipocni
Hollow Man said:

I personally wouldn't be able to do a whole body exercise like deadlift and still do the all core exercises (the push and pull ones can go well with deadlifts), especially the ones requiring lower back.

Don't ABH and deadlift on the same day. I learned that one the hard way.

Blairbob

I played with this during 2011. However, I was more of an intermediate lifter that wanted to slowly build back my lifts while still training Gymnastics/GST primarily (which in itself was building back from a few injuries). I generally did my 531 upper/lower body work after gymnastics training. Generally after a short break with proteins and carbs.

I also trained with squats and deadlifts during my gymnastics training in 2009-2010. However, Squats and DL were always at the end of my day after my event and upper body work. 

On Mondays and Thursdays, I generally did lower body explosive work. This was also my days on FX/V besides exercises such as plyos, sprints, etc. Tu and Fri, I would do Sq or DL towards the end, one or the other. 

If anything I would lift after your GST work or on a completely seperate day that will not interfere with your GST programming (AKA you won't be sore as crap trying go do GST when doing a lower body day before).

 

Benjn

I'm in the same boat. Doing weighted squats before mastering the SLS is not recommended, but I love my squats and my deadlifts. Maybe it's an ego thing, but I just don't want to give them up. That said, I know how important it is to master bodyweight movements and mobility, so I'm putting weighted lower-body movements on maintenance mode and focusing on Foundation/Handstand work.

 

I'm focusing on maintaining good form and tempo (slow eccentrics, explosive concentric, working at about 80% of maxes) in my barbell movements rather than focusing on adding weight. I went from a Starting Strength template adding 5# per session to a weekly progression schedule, adding 5# per week assuming all other factors look good.

 

You could back off on the frequency and intensity of your squatting and deadlifting while you focus on F1+H1. You'll make slower progress overall, but you'll still get to practice all of the things that are important to you. Do your Foundation/Handstand work before your weight training since they are highly technical movements you need to do when fresh. Of course, squatting and deadlifting properly are also technical movements, but they're a lot easier to scale (once again, by decreasing work weight).

 

My schedule looks like this: 

 

Sunday: H1+Back Squat

Monday: H1+F7

Tuesday: H1+Front Squat

Wednesday: H1+F7

Thursday: H1+Deadlift

Friday: H1+F7

Saturday: Rest/recovery, Stretching+Mobility

 

This might seem like a lot of training, but I've built up pretty good work capacity over the years and this is what works for me. Maybe I'm not going with full intensity on every movement, but that's okay. What I'm focused on is form, mastery, and long-term progress.

 

Your schedule might look different, maybe you split Foundation into a 2-day split, maybe you won't practice H1 with that sort of frequency. Maybe you'll do something entirely different. I don't know. I based my schedule around my goals, priorities, and available time, and you have to do the same. Find what works for you, focus on doing quality work and recovering well, and you should be good to go.

 

EDIT: Wow, wrote this a while ago. Now I'm just doing Foundation and Handstand courses, plus Stretch, plus some running and swimming as skill work. Planning on reincorporating Squats and Deadz after F2.

xabier.errea

I started powerlifting less than a year ago, and my first serious contact with weights and strength training, at age 27. The thing is that in the last 6 months that I have been more serious I’ve gained muscle and size, paired with great strength gains. Needless to say, those strength gains are limited to the 4 PW movements (deadlift, squat, bench press, military press). Then I came across some podcasts of Coach Sommer talking about gymnasts that after years of training touching for the first time a bar and having 2BW bench presses and squats without any problem. So the strength gained in gymnastics is transferable to powerlifting but not in the other direction. So as for strength gains Gymnastics is better, at least for upper body, that’s why I’m thinking of keeping deadlifts and squats

 

The main goal that drove me to start strength training was health, but know this ego thing of looking good naked is in between XD. I am happy with the muscle gains done lately and want to keep that pace (or improve it, you know, one is never happy). Would F1+H1 will satisfy my vanity? Should I keep deadlifts and squats to keep making lower body muscle gains, or should I go all-in with Gymnastics? I know this forum is all about gymnastics, so maybe the opinion Is biased XD, just want to hear them!

 

Thanks for all the support!

Blairbob

First time 2xBW Bench Presses for strong male gymnasts isn't uncommon. Now would a 2-2.5xBW Deadlift. JJ pulled 3xBW his first time with #405@#135. 

But it wasn't squats. Way different movement that has both an eccentric and concentric phase while the deadlift is pretty much only a concentric movement. And more than likely you have to walkout a squat a bit since very few people are going to be using a monolift and smith machine squats don't count. And you have to rack the bar which is no gimme thing with 2xBW compared to pulling a bar off the floor (even a heavy one).

 

If deadlifts and squats make you happy, go for it. You could probably leave out the squats and just do the deck squats and SLS of GST and keep the deadlifts, though Foundation would also have Jefferson curls which are basically a deadlift variant.

 

OTOH, Squats are bound to increase the mass of your body so keep that in mind. Even if you only worked singles (say 5-10 singles), they would still be a better mass builder than deadlifts because of the longer time under tension due to the eccentric start. They would also build mass in the spinal erectors, obliques, etc just because of stabilization of the load while squatting. 

5-10 singles from 65-85%, 1-2x/week would still be more tonnage than SLS and deck squats 2-3x/week. Especially over a month and in the long term (year/s).