active rest and recovery

Started by Edward Smith, March 11, 2008 · 1 Replies · 4,054 Views

Edward Smith

hey everybody,

I know rest/recovery is an important aspect of gymnastic and strength training. But is there active recovery exercises, treatments or anything of the sort? it's just that my after my rest days I don't really feel any stronger(I don't mean literally stronger just refreshed and able to get back into it).

George Launchbury

Hi ed x,

I'll second that. Sometimes I feel fine, sometimes it's a struggle.

Coach Sommer has written (here) about using cycles of over-loading, loading and de-loading with training, but I don't recall reading anywhere whether there is any merit in adding active recovery sessions on a weekly basis? One could reasonably guess that it might be detrimental during the over-load phase?

Maybe feeling under-recovered is a sign to stop the over-loading, spend some time consolidating strength gains (loading) and then a cycle of active recovery after that (de-loading)? Thoughts anyone?

I can't remember any suggested timescales for these phases, but would guess they gradually get shorter? Spending too long in the de-loading phase would surely result in loss of strength!?

As far as treatment goes, regular soft-tissue work would invariably help (massage, foam roller, trigger-points, etc). Obviously you'll need your nutrition roughly dialled in, as well, and be getting enough good quality sleep!

Cheers,

George.