Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength work before technique work

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

I know this rule applies to GST but does it apply to lifting aswell ( just curious ) ?

By lifting I mean Do you do Powerlift elements ( bench, squat, deadlift) before or after olympic technique work ( Clean & Jerk , Snatch) 

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

In my opinion strength work IS technique work. That's true if only if you're working on an exercise that is at an appropriate level for you though. You can't have good technique without strength and you can't become stronger if you don't use proper technique

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

I can't imagine any sensible person burning themselves out on deadlifts and squats and then trying to do some quality snatches.

As far as my own training goes, I put technique work on its own day. I have a balancing & mobility day, and then the standard push/pull split. Let's me get some quality practice in without being too tired, but I'm planning to change it up once I've improved a fair bit.

Jan Reipert

olympic lifts are not just about technieque but also about explosiveness. do them first. always.

Toni Laukkavaara

I know this rule applies to GST but does it apply to lifting aswell ( just curious ) ?

By lifting I mean Do you do Powerlift elements ( bench, squat, deadlift) before or after olympic technique work ( Clean & Jerk , Snatch) 

Just follow your olympic weightlifting program

Deins Drengers

Just follow your olympic weightlifting program

Thx, im doing F1 & H1 and am curious to start learn Oly lift technique 2-3 times a week with no big intesnity. 

Ronnicky Roy

Strength work is about building your max strength under control.

Conditioning is doing the same load over and over in several sets for many weeks, just adding sets but not the reps.

Technique is sport specific. So a squat and deadlift would be before your olympic lifts.

Oly lifters use deadlifts and squats as their base. Kind of like foundation would be for us once we've reached F4. Foundation would be our workout before sport specific(technical) training

• Upvote 1

Ok. So generally you would do technique work before strength work always.

Except, if you were to look into some of the Soviet WL programming, you would actually see that at the MasterOfSport/Elite level, they often squat first. At the class levels 3, 2, 1 (descending) they do not. 

If you read through the texts, this allows them to prefatigue the musculature in an attempt to force the body to recruit more neurons during training.

It's not something you would do with beginners, or intermediates. EVER.

A lot of tight lifters often like to or feel it's necessary to warm up with squat variants before their remedial technique work. CalStrength during some cycles might warm-up with a FS, skill work, end with BS with volume.

On Mondays, I liked to warmup with Snatch Balances. Sundays were a rest day and Saturday was a heavy day. So I usually warmed up with Heavy Pressing Snatch Balance single, then Pause Dip heaving Sn balance to a regular heaving Sn Balance. So long as I kept the volume low, I would have a pretty good Snatch session later on.

Coming off a rest day, I tend to be tight and slow even if I try to do light activity on my rest days including BW squats, lunges, etc. 
I noticed that coming off a rest day, I would have a much better session if I warmed up with FS or a light BS after my general warmup than just trying to start off with Sn in which I still seemed to take awhile to warm up to.

I also noticed it was a helluva good way to warm up especially if I threw in some paused squats when they were lighter. Body temp and blood flow was easily noticed to go up (mirrors all over this gym). Typically low volume, just singles though I might be do 5-10 reps with the first weights (#135x10, #185x7, #225x5, #275x3, #315 for singles. You get the idea but not necessarily that all the time as it might vary pending on what I felt was good with the weight on my back/front/OH).

I know in some WAG programs, they preferred to do strength first to events be it off season or during pre/competitive season. I don't think they had any ideas of the above Soviet concept but it was merely because the girls were more fresh and it was more convenient.

OTOH, a lot of the times their "strength" work seemed to have more to do with conditioning than a pure strength or power development focus. AKA, it could really be a bag of crud sometimes. Heck, I can think back to some of the things I had kids do years ago and think WTH was I thinking. Burpees and etc before events. Then again, I was just an assistant then so it's not I had any say other than "Blair, think of some conditioning element, etc"

If you look at the National Team WU done by Martha Karolyi, you would see a bunch of strength work in their warmup.

All this being said, in general I would think you can leave the strength work until after the technique work. Especially, if it was a day you were going to push for big skills on events. On a lighter day, possibly alright to do strength first.

There is that fine line between potientiating and pre-fatiguing. 

However, volume squats before technical work always makes my technical work a bit more difficult or slower. It's not that I'm missing reps or technical failure but I'm less snappy. This could be due the strength emphasis portion of the cycle I'm currently on or trying to apply said Soviet concept.