High Reps

Started by aiken54, March 12, 2015 · 14 Replies · 5,470 Views

aiken54

I've been reading about all the benefits of high reps for movements like stalder presses and HSPU, and this got me quite excited for when I can safely do those skills with such programming. Yet I cannot. Are there any exercises that could be done in the meantime that would be beneficial in high reps? 

 

Ones that come to mind are:

PPP

HS Shoulder Taps

SLS? 

 

My ignorance is palpable. Hence why I posed this question.

Bipocni

Basic pushups and rows should be trained to high reps, but this shouldn't be a focus of your training.

Handstand wall walks as we already know should be developed up to a 10 minute work capacity.

aiken54

10 minute work capacity as in wall walks straight for ten minutes? Or just the capacity to do ten minutes of wall walks within a reasonable amount of time?

 

Also, I will definitely start to ramp up the reps on rows and push ups / PPP in my warm ups.

Coach Sommer

My athletes did HS Wall Runs for a single set of 10 minutes.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Daniel also mentioned excellent gains from ten minute sets of cast wall walks

Coach Sommer
Jon Douglas said:

Daniel also mentioned excellent gains from ten minute sets of cast wall walks

 

Great idea.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

aiken54

I think I'll wait a bit past PE5 on H1 before I go for that kind of work load. That's wicked...

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

My athletes did HS Wall Runs for a single set of 10 minutes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Actually, I've been meaning to ask you about that. How many years had your athletes already been training for before you started them on this exercise and/or they were capable of the full 10 minutes unbroken?

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Actually, I've been meaning to ask you about that. How many years had your athletes already been training for before you started them on this exercise and/or they were capable of the full 10 minutes unbroken?

Mine went this way;

 

10mins handstand wall runs-- begun 22/4/2014

1 min on, 1 min off = 5 mins     Cleared 6/5/2014

1.5 on, 2 off x 3 = 4.5 mins     Cleared 9/5/2014

2-2-1      13/5/2014

2-2-1.5-1     20/5/2014

2 min on, 2 min off x 3 = 6 mins      Cleared 23/5/14

2.30, 2     27/05/14

2.40, 1.5     30/05/14

3, 2.10       3/06/14

3 min on, 2 min off x2 = 6 mins      Cleared 6/06/14

5 min, 2 min off, 1.20 = 6.20      10/06/14

6 min on, 2 min off, 2 on = 8 mins     16/06/14

7 min on, 2 min off, 1 on = 8 mins

8 min on = 8 mins        Cleared 20/06/14

9 min on = 9 mins

10 min on = 10 mins 4/07/14

 

 

 

My posts are here; Daniel's on CWW start that page and continue to the next

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1030-handstand-wall-runs/?p=161793

Coach Sommer
Bipocni said:

Actually, I've been meaning to ask you about that. How many years had your athletes already been training for before you started them on this exercise and/or they were capable of the full 10 minutes unbroken?

 

I started them on the full 10 minutes unbroken.   :icon_twisted:

 

They were advanced beginner/intermediate level athletes when I first discovered HS Wall Runs.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vannybute

what are cast walks and wall walks?

Awesssss

At your level (at my level more likely), I'm more concerned of building strength, then at some progression develop high reps.

 

I don't think high reps of push can do much, high reps of rows or PE1/RC can be good fo shoulder health.

 

Hespu, PPP, headstand leg lifts, SLS, Dips, Hanging leg lifts,

Bipocni
GenericGymnast said:

what are cast walks and wall walks?

Cast wall walk is where you go from a plank to a stomach to wall handstand without losing bodyline. Basically just walking in and out from the wall.

Handstand wall walks, wall runs or shoulder tappers are a stomach to wall handstand with continuous alternating shoulder taps. There should be a video for them on the GB YouTube channel.

Both are excellent exercises, although personally I haven't spent much time training cast wall walks specifically. I just use them to get into and out of my wall runs.

vannybute

so these are actually cast wall walks? (the title says handsatnd wall wlk)
Cole Dano

It's not unusual for an exercise to have different names in different circles.

 

The Cast part of the name comes from Horizontal Bar and Uneven Bars. A cast handstand is when a gymnast swings from support up to handstand, the cast wall walks help build strength in that range of motion.