This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Seiza - Heels together?

Started by Murray Truelove, March 3, 2015 · 39 Replies · 2,538 Views

Cole Dano
dritar said:

Does this also apply to curled seiza? It's the only one that I can't get heels together (if I do the stretch becomes only on the big toes/ball of feet).

 

A little gap is acceptable in order to even out the stretch. The main point in the heels together instruction is as Alex mentioned, the ankles will roll to avoid stretching. If your alignment is correct a small gap is acceptable, no heels rolling out.

Mats Trane

With time the gap will become narrower. In the beginning I felt getting the heels together was impossible but it has improved nicely :)

~Atticus

I'm actually using a yoga strap to "force" my heels together. I'm assuming this is okay.

Nick Roy
~Atticus said:

I'm actually using a yoga strap to "force" my heels together. I'm assuming this is okay.

It is ok. The stretch position is what matters. When the front of the foot opens up and the ankle is flat to the ground, that's when you can "ween" off of it and focus on heels together from just your strength.

I'm exceptionally tight here as well. A strap gave me the deepest stretch I've felt yet. I plan to use it as long as needed. My ankles want to sickle out and I'm not going to let it

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

With the elevated knee seiza, I have the same issue as others in terms of the ankle rolling out (I self-adjusted by putting a yoga block between my butt and ankles in order to do the stretch while keeping my ankles together), but my question is unique to that point.

 

I sometimes feel this stretch in the toes and not in the front of the ankle. I know how it should feel and look, but I'm wondering as to whether there are any cues I can work on to fix this. I know the stretch should be in the front of the ankle (an 'anti-shin split' stretch, so to speak), but I think I maybe don't have enough mobility in the ankle. The further issue of keeping my heels together also complicates this, as while I'm trying to raise my knees, I also have to keep my glutes somewhat floating or elevated in order to keep my heels together. All of this while also hoping to focus the stretch on the ankle. 

 

OH! and no fidgeting, of course. Because if the body is fidgeting, then my mind is fidgeting? Or something to that effect. 

 

I hope my explanation was clear enough. I've figured out the cues for pretty much ever other stretches in all of the series (and am slowly progressing on them; read: slowly), but this stretch is still troubling me.

ausswe

I forced my heels together but like someone mentioned all the pressure went to the big toe and now I have tendon damage in my foot. The point is to stretch. If you feel a stretch without heels together then it is working.

Coach Sommer

Why were you supporting yourself on your big toe?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

JonathanSilverman
ausswe said:

I forced my heels together but like someone mentioned all the pressure went to the big toe and now I have tendon damage in my foot. The point is to stretch. If you feel a stretch without heels together then it is working.

What kind of seiza are you talking about?  The regular one or the one with the curled toes?  

 

In my experience,  I don't see how you could have put pressure on your toes on the regular seiza, the pressure in on the top of the arch.  

 

As for the curled seiza,  I can see how you put pressure on your toes, but if your toe flexibility isn't there,  don't put all your weight on it when you sit upright and back into the stretch.  Change that angle gradually with each weekly practice session.   Just my two cents on the seizas.  

 

Feel better!! 

JukkaL

Is it ok to elevate knees in the curled seiza position at first?

ausswe

i was trying to support myself across the whole ball of the foot but that just isnt possible with heels together for me at this time.

RF_Guy

Very useful thread! All my questions and excuses. Were answered. I think it deserves to be a sticky.

I think 99% of people here myself included will have to start from yoga belt on ankles and hips in the air and first work on being able to lower hips for Rx'd duration before even attempting any ankles elevation. I remember how brutal this stretch is from yoga days. Be prepared to spend months or in my case years to achieve final position.

Christian Traynor

Awesome!  Thanks for the refinement coach.  Like this I was able to perform the stretch and after a few weeks my heels are now touching in the stretch!  

 

Looking forward to meeting you in Stroud!

crabtree

Beside the problem with the heels my biggest issue with squatted seiza is cramps in my toes. Usually I have stop after ten seconds because of the pain. Anybody with a similar problem here? I do not experience cramps in other occasions.

Jon Douglas
crabtree said:

Beside the problem with the heels my biggest issue with squatted seiza is cramps in my toes. Usually I have stop after ten seconds because of the pain. Anybody with a similar problem here? I do not experience cramps in other occasions.

 

I get a little of this; it's pretty much completely disappeared now.Performing it on a softer matt or cushion eased the adjustment process as compared to the carpet I started on :)

crabtree
Jon Douglas said:

I get a little of this; it's pretty much completely disappeared now. Performing it on a softer matt or cushion eased the adjustment process as compared to the carpet I started on :)

Thanks Jon, I will try a softer matt and be patient