This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rushing through first PEs because of neck problems

Started by clincher, March 2, 2015 · 7 Replies · 222 Views

clincher

Before getting H1 I was doing HS training using a wall, my usual HS work was doing 5-7 sets of 30s (chest to wall), I even posted a form check thread: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19330-chest-to-wall-hs-form-check/

 

What I'm trying to say is, I'm used to being upside down and my form on the wall isn't terrible. Which brings me to H1 first PEs. I can do the strength work without any problems but the mobility work is tough and I really need to focus on it. I was taking it slow, doing the exercises at mastery level and just improving my ROM in the iM work, but my neck started to bother me. Got kinda scared about staying at this pace and decided I had "passed" PE1 mastery and I'll keep the mobility work in my warmup, passed PE2 mastery and decided to do the same thing about the mobility work and figured I was done with neck stuff but apparently PE3 also uses the neck as support... I really don't wanna keep piling up mobility work that I certainly can't do at mastery level but I don't want to continue to strain my neck.

 

What can I do to get the best of both worlds? I imagine the first PEs are designed to get people to get used to the feeling of being upside down and keeping a hollow body while doing them so it's not a problem. iM drills are gold though so I don't wanna skip them.

 

Any advice would be appreciated.

howens

I believe people in the past have placed the shoulders on chairs or something similar, placed their head between and did a "shoulder" stand. Not sure if that makes sense or if thats a good substitute, just an idea.

Jeremy Huston

Based on the details of your pain, I would either:

1. Go back to week 1 of PE1 and slowly work through the template to let the neck get stronger.

2. Substitute PE1 with howen's shoulder stand, feet-elevated bridges, or chest-to-wall handstands

 

The real question is the nature of your pain.  If it's just weakness, then take it slow and get stronger.  If it's something wrong (like slipped disks), then it's not worth the risk.  If you don't know, you'll need to get it looked at by a medical professional.

thecolin

What kind of activation cues are you using for the tripod/headstand?

yamad

I agree with Jeremy. Obviously no one but you knows the kind of neck discomfort/pain you are having, so stop/scale/talk to a medical pro if you are worried about it.

 

However, as a fellow traveler, I also experienced relatively mild soreness in my neck while building up work capacity in PE1 and PE2. It went away as I got stronger. I would say I had neck soreness I was a little worried about only two or three times, and I reduced volume for a while to deal with it. That said, I'm not as far along in the HS strength work as you are, so doing the PEs from the start was non-negotiable for me.

clincher
howens said:

I believe people in the past have placed the shoulders on chairs or something similar, placed their head between and did a "shoulder" stand. Not sure if that makes sense or if thats a good substitute, just an idea.

Oh, that's an interesting idea. I might have to get creative as chairs would be too tall for me in that position.

 

Jeremy Huston said:

Based on the details of your pain, I would either:

1. Go back to week 1 of PE1 and slowly work through the template to let the neck get stronger.

2. Substitute PE1 with howen's shoulder stand, feet-elevated bridges, or chest-to-wall handstands

 

The real question is the nature of your pain.  If it's just weakness, then take it slow and get stronger.  If it's something wrong (like slipped disks), then it's not worth the risk.  If you don't know, you'll need to get it looked at by a medical professional.

It was more like intense discomfort than pain, and not really during the PEs but rather a bit later or after waking up the next day. I'm not exactly one to be brave about doing stuff that might be hurting me, *especially* my neck, which is why I got scared. It hasn't quite escalated to pain, but the thing is, I don't want it to.

 

Doing wall-assisted HS work or howen's shoulder stands while mastering mobility could be a nice solution.

 

thecolin said:

What kind of activation cues are you using for the tripod/headstand?

Not sure what you mean by this, sorry.

 

yamad said:

I agree with Jeremy. Obviously no one but you knows the kind of neck discomfort/pain you are having, so stop/scale/talk to a medical pro if you are worried about it.

 

However, as a fellow traveler, I also experienced relatively mild soreness in my neck while building up work capacity in PE1 and PE2. It went away as I got stronger. I would say I had neck soreness I was a little worried about only two or three times, and I reduced volume for a while to deal with it. That said, I'm not as far along in the HS strength work as you are, so doing the PEs from the start was non-negotiable for me.

Interesting that it got better with time... I don't think I'm brave enough to tough it out.

 

I know a neck can be strengthened but doing so through these PEs seems very dangerous to me, and I'm not even heavy, I'm pretty light for my height. Makes me wonder how people who weigh 180+ lbs went about this stuff and not freak out, hah (or maybe I'm just too panicky about my neck).

 

I'll visit a physician just to make sure nothing's wrong with my neck (I doubt it as it was just discomfort and I didn't want it to escalate to pain) and maybe try using something to use my shoulders are support. That could get overly complicated for PE3 but I'll try to figure something out.

 

PEs still scare me!

Micawberian

You say intense discomfort but not pain, afterwards and the next day. With im1 and tripod there is a lot of work going on in the upper back and neck, seems like you've pushed too far too soon and/or you've got some form issues to sort out.

Don't forget that PE's can be scaled down even further. You can start with your shins on the ground and head close to the body, then you can move the head out further from the legs, then you can progress to only toes on the ground, then move the head out, then one leg up at a time.

Do visit a doctor if you want, but probably you need to be more reasonable with the work load, effort, and work on your fear by doing easier progressions. Getting over your fear of headstands is pretty important, IMO the fear could continue into movements like headstand pushups.

Jeremy Huston
clincher said:

 

I know a neck can be strengthened but doing so through these PEs seems very dangerous to me, and I'm not even heavy, I'm pretty light for my height. Makes me wonder how people who weigh 180+ lbs went about this stuff and not freak out, hah (or maybe I'm just too panicky about my neck).

 

I was one of those 180+ lbs people (weight hovers right around 180).  I remember once (pre-GB) doing a headstand and getting a sharp spasm in my neck because I relaxed since it was easy.  That was a good (scary) reminder to me to always maintain a strong neck.  I made it through PE1-3 with no problems.  I keep PE3 in my warmup to maintain my strong neck.