Rotator Cuff Pain & My Routine

Started by quad6, August 1, 2009 · 6 Replies · 3,691 Views

quad6

My goal is to build some foundational strength and conditioning in my upper body. I've been doing the following routine:

Greasing the Groove 5 days a week

5 sets throughout the day of : 2chinups, 5incline pushups, 2 negative pullups, 5 negative dips

Static & Lower Body Work: 3 days a week

Planche progression, L-Sit, Some V-ups, Leg Work

Obviously I'm quite weak, but I find that training often but never close to failure seems to be working. I'm definitely improving. When I drop back to doing the upper body stuff 2-3x a week, like in a traditional strength routine, progress seems to hault.

However, I've got some pain in what I think is my rear rotator cuff (see pic)

1. I think it was due to me trying rings at the park but Could it be that my routine is emphasizing the front of my upper body too much? do I need more horizontal pulling or am I simply doing too much volume?

2. I'm staying away from dips and pushups but would chin-ups be ok? what upper body moves can you do without working the rotator too much?

Thanks.

ShoulderBackLargeInjury.jpg

braindx

1. That would be my guess coupled with posture problems.

2. Anything that uses the shoulder uses RC although if your muscles are stronger (and not imbalanced) generally the prime movers will take over for them.

quad6

Thanks,

I do probably have some postural issues. I'm 6'2 and my shoulders are a bit dropped/hunched forward. My shoulders & chest have always been very weak & very quick to fatigue compared to other muscles groups. I make super slow progress on pushups (was the same with bench press). My back, lower body and core responds much better.

I've been doing Coach Sommer's "Wall Extensions" and "Shoulder Dislocates" 3x week. I figured that combined with body-weight stuff like pushups and pull-ups/chin-ups etc, my posture and shoulder strength and mobility would improve.

I searched this forum and found some rotator cuff exercises, I'll add a few.

http://www.physioroom.com/experts/askth ... 050225.php

braindx
niftyvt said:
Ido Portal has several great prehab routines for shoulders, check em out. http://idoportal.blogspot.com/ :mrgreen:

Ahaha, I was about to suggest that after seeing it.

Definitely incorporate these exercises with teh other aforementioned stuff

quad6

Thanks, I'll include some of that.

And I'm going to do a bit more horizontal pulling.

ASForum
niftyvt said:
Ido Portal has several great prehab routines for shoulders, check em out. http://idoportal.blogspot.com/ :mrgreen:

I gotta check these out too. Nice. Thanks for posting.