This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic band pulls - Bungee?

Started by Mark Collins, February 22, 2015 · 56 Replies · 5,425 Views

Mark Collins

For us international students what is an appropriate band to use? I have access to all theratubing which at the thicker diameter is quite strong. Or would a light power band that his used in Crossfit for pull ups be more appropriate?

I tried both yesterday and the exercises were both difficult, but felt great. It felt like the stronger band helped the abdominals and erector spinae, but made the traps really work hard. Is the intent more to work the upper traps and therefore use a stronger band?

The first workout was very tough for me and exposed many deficiencies in my thoracic spine and shoulders. Afterwards my upper back and shoulders felt great, which is how they have felt after the seminars.

After looking through the material I am excited about how much progress can be made and how much easier foundation and handstand will be.

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to use bungee straps, and not therabands or theratubes, as the tension of the bungees remains consistent over a much larger range of motion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins

Thanks Coach. I didn't realise bungee cords in Australia were the same. We have some major translation differences in Australia. We wear our thongs on our feet!

Richard Sassoon

Coach, do you mean like these ones? Any recommendation on length?

Stephen Hepner
Richard Sassoon said:

Any recommendation on length?

Or diameter?  Is 1/4" too small?  And would you just knot the ends to make it easier to hold onto?

 

stephen

Coach Sommer

Yes, those are bungee cords - although the hooks on the ends should make gripping them interesting. ;)

Which diameter is appropriate will entirely depend upon your strength levels. I generally have three different strengths of bungees available for the athletes to choose from.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

JohnnyDLS

Coach,

 

Can you please provide a Amazon link to a set of example Bungee straps as reference?

 

These are robber tubing and you said they are not recommended  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXFNQZM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2NTCEIKFROWNB&coliid=I10J2UZ2HH4XQP&psc=1

 

All the others I find are not designed for physical trainning so I am assuming this are not going to work without some customizing  http://www.amazon.com/Highland-90084-Bungee-Cord-Assortment/dp/B000E7SY16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424971596&sr=8-1&keywords=Bungee+straps

 

What are the specs on the ones you used on the video and the others you used by your athletes?

 

Thanks

 

Johnny

Sam Andersen

I just purchased a 50 for roll of 1/4" bungee from amazon. I also purchased some hog clips. I plan on cutting pvc pipe for handles. The hog clips will be used to tie off the end. Doing it this way I can customize the length. If I desire I can use multiple lengths of the bungee for more resistance.

Sam Andersen

That was supposed to read 50 foot roll. The roll was 20 dollars. But 50 feet is a bit more than someone would need.

Stephen Majerle

I'm using Sportcord bungees and they work great. I use the lightest resistance (red) for the supine pulls, and heaviest resistance (black) for the prone pulls.

www.sportcord.com.

Richard Sassoon
Stephen M said:

I'm using Sportcord bungees and they work great. I use the lightest resistance (red) for the supine pulls, and heaviest resistance (black) for the prone pulls.

www.sportcord.com.

Hei, those seem good but do they really stretch enough? I saw that they only stretch up to 10' (304 cm), when we need about 400cm....

Stephen Majerle

I'm 6 feet tall and they stretch enough for me. I've only done two workouts with them, so can't comment on durability, but they feel high quality to me. I found the resistance to be pretty strong on all but the red one.

Richard Sassoon

Good to know! I will probably get those then and hopefully their durability won't be an issue :)

NameLikeNoOther

Coach, which thickness range would you recommend based on the Force ratings of these shock cords?  This is the Cord that is easily available to me.  Thanks

 

http://novabraid.com/pdfs/LR-P20113-NovaShock.pdf

ausswe

I would like to know what cords coAch uses in the follow along video and also what 3 different strengths he uses as he said above

JaredL

There doesn't seem to be a commercial option available, not that I've found from looking so far. I figure a low pulley in a gym would suffice.

Cole Dano
ausswe said:

I would like to know what cords coAch uses in the follow along video and also what 3 different strengths he uses as he said above

 

The bands used were custom made.

NameLikeNoOther

I am in the process of building mine now.  Bulk Shock Cord is cheap, CDN$0.25 to CDN$0.80 per foot depending on thickness.

 

I have 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2" Shock Cord on order.  I am getting 6' long pieces and Hog Clips to form eye loops on the ends, then I am going to use handles (like these http://www.fitnesstown.ca/All-Departments/Accessories/Tubing-Bands/GoFit-Power-Handles/Product.aspx?ProductID=1108&DeptID=26&&) attached with quick links.  If it works out I will post some pictures.

~Atticus

I think I'm going to try the sportcord handles, and get regular bungee cords at REI and attach the sportcord handles to the bungee cords.

greekdawg

Any updates on where to get a good cord from a sporting good store? I have bought and returned 2 cords now because they are too thick.... including the Go Fit Power Cords

 

I need a thinner diameter cord that works with the amount of stretch we need.

 

Kind of frustrating that I can not fully utilize the stretch TB series, as I have never even done these 2 exercises due to lack of equipment.  

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance 

greekdawg

Also, Coach what length of cord do you suggest?

NameLikeNoOther
greekdawg said:

Any updates on where to get a good cord from a sporting good store? I have bought and returned 2 cords now because they are too thick.... including the Go Fit Power Cords

 

I need a thinner diameter cord that works with the amount of stretch we need.

 

Kind of frustrating that I can not fully utilize the stretch TB series, as I have never even done these 2 exercises due to lack of equipment.  

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance 

Go to an Auto, Marine or Rigging Store and get what is called Shock Cord it is available in many thicknesses and comes off of a roll.  I prefer the thinner cord as well because I am unable to keep my lower back pressed against the floor with the thicker cord when I am fully extended.  I use the Go-Fit Ankle band attachments (got the handles first then realized you need a different hand angle)

~Atticus
greekdawg said:

Any updates on where to get a good cord from a sporting good store? I have bought and returned 2 cords now because they are too thick.... including the Go Fit Power Cords

 

I need a thinner diameter cord that works with the amount of stretch we need.

 

Kind of frustrating that I can not fully utilize the stretch TB series, as I have never even done these 2 exercises due to lack of equipment.  

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance 

 

Try this store for the bungee cords (I ordered 9mm based on somebody's recommendation), and this store for the handles.

 

12' should be fine -- again, based on a few recommendations by different folks.

NameLikeNoOther

Here is my homemade version.

post-13604-0-90657500-1432256044_thumb.j

post-13604-0-81953900-1432256118_thumb.j