This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New Stretch Course!

Started by Joseph Morris, February 20, 2015 · 36 Replies · 2,735 Views

Joseph Morris

So I saw that the new stretch courses are available for purchase. I'm excited, as shoulder mobility has me stuck with HS/PE2, lack of compression has me stuck in MN/PE2, and lack of hamstring mobility has me stuck with MN/PE2>iM. I do have a couple of questions: 

 

(1) Will there be any ankle mobility work? I've been fine with all of the SLS progressions so far, but dorsiflexion is a huge issue for me and looking ahead at SLS/SE1 (Hawaiian squat), I lack the dorsiflexion in my left ankle to achieve SE1. So far the SLS progression has not really changed that. 

 

(2) How does this integrate with F1/H1 training? Is the training schedule 45 min per stretch course per week? Per day? 2+ hours for each stretch workout might not be doable for me, at least not without stopping F1/H1 for awhile, or doing the stretch courses on anything more than a weekly basis. 

 

Bottom line is that I'm very interested, but the cost is a little prohibitive for me and I'm trying to get some sense of the time investment before I invest the $$. Hoping someone can clarify a bit about the course structure for me. 

 

To be clear: I'm not asking anyone to tell me the progressions or how they work. I understand that's pay-to-get-it information; I'm just trying to understand the course/workout structure so I can figure out if it will fit with my schedule. 

tom040287

I too would also like to know how this would fit into a schedule alongside foundation and roughly how much an investment in time would be required, the 45min mention on the sale page is a bit vague. I understand you get what you put in, and can definitely see how the stretch series will be very beneficial to me but, I don't want to have the stress of trying to cram it all in along with work and life etc

Sensei JP

If you follow the Follow-Along video, it's roughly 45min for each element.  Can be done on a separate day or AFTER a Foundation/HS workout (Coach's emphasis).  It's one time a week for each element.  You can't really rush it, make it less time, as there are lots of timed holds.

 

Basically, you would need to find three 45min blocks each week to do it.  You could do it on off-days, after the workout, or even I suppose all three on one dedicated stretching day.  I currently do a 20min stretch W/F and a longer stretch on Sunday, so I'll just swap the Stretch series in there.

 

Just for the record, I did the Bridge/Thoracis mobility series today, and I've never felt anything like it before.  It almost felt like my shoulders were trying to float away when I was done.  I suppose the real test will be seeing how I feel when I wake up tomorrow.

Mark Collins

I have just looked through the stretch series and it will really make Foundation and H1 so much easier. Even though the workouts are 40-45 mins i am sure you would still benefit from spreading these exercises out over the course of the week.

This series has been put together so well as it covers the whole body. As a physiotherapist I would highly recommend these to anyone that has limited mobility, which is everyone. In terms of musculoskeletal health you will move better and be in less pain.

Joseph Morris

Thanks everyone for clarifying about the scheduling! Sounding pretty good. Does it do anything for ankle mobility?

Sven Ravnstag

Mark, that review has taken my excitement level from Infinite to Infinte^2. Thanks for sharing the details!

Joseph Morris

Yeah my hype level is getting pretty high.

Coach Sommer
Joseph Morris said:

Thanks everyone for clarifying about the scheduling! Sounding pretty good. Does it do anything for ankle mobility?

There is more ankle mobility in the beginning of the Front Split Series than you probably ever wanted to go thru in your entire life. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joseph Morris
Coach Sommer said:

There is more ankle mobility in the beginning of the Front Split Series than you probably ever wanted to go thru in your entire life. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Thanks, Coach! That's been a limiter for me in lifting and it looks like it will be one for GST/F1 in a few PEs, so I'm really stoked to hear that. I've been really bad about improving it on my own. Bendy ankles here I come!

dynamo

...and one more thing.  Tight hip flexors are many an athletes nemesis.  Is the Thoracic Bridge the big stick to deal with these?

pghgymnastics

Is this the entire stretch program or is there more to come? 

Jason Dupree

Hip flexors are in the front split course :) There is some spinal twisting, but mostly for thoracic. Basically, these three courses hit everything but deep lumbar rotation (which is hit in manna progressions) wrist mobility (in Handstand one) and some areas of the neck and face.

Cory Fair
Jason Dupree said:

Hip flexors are in the front split course :) There is some spinal twisting, but mostly for thoracic. Basically, these three courses hit everything but deep lumbar rotation (which is hit in manna progressions) wrist mobility (in Handstand one) and some areas of the neck and face.

Facial stretches and contortions are a natural occurrence during some of the last few front split series progressions. Consider it bonus material.  ;)

dynamo

I may recommend these Stretch Courses to people from time to time so I'm wondering is it important to combine them w/ a strength training program like Foundations or can they be recommended as stand alone courses for everyday people that just feel some pains and tightness from living a couch potato to desk jockey lifestyle?  I understand the merits of doing both, I just want to make sure I present the program in the correct context to others.

Sven Ravnstag

My guess is that anything that promotes flexibility in the hips, shoulders, and thoracic extension is a must for everyone. And if people don't do any other strength training, I suspect the stretching programs will feel a lot like work (just look at the thoracic bridge example photo)!

Warlock

Argh, I guess I'll have to break open my piggy bank and purchase at least the front splits one. So hyped for this, really makes me hate my countries' economy :P

Jon Douglas
Joseph Morris said:

Thanks everyone for clarifying about the scheduling! Sounding pretty good. Does it do anything for ankle mobility?

Holy crap yes it does.

Just to clarify I *have* front splits already, but working the front split series yesterday, my ankles, calves and hamstrings are thoroughly aware they are not going to do it again today!

Joseph Morris

Just took my first shot at TBs -- wow do my shoulders feel warm and bendy! Definitely looking forward to seeing how this affects things over the next few months.

Coremus

Which of the 3 stretch series is the most appropriate to accompany foundation 1?

Destiny
Coremus said:

Which of the 3 stretch series is the most appropriate to accompany foundation 1?

If you are only going to get one I say just choose depending on your current sticking points because in the end flexibility in all these areas will be necessary for many foundation exercises. You cannot complete Foundation without flexibility in all these areas.

Jon Douglas

If I had to pick just one, I personally would say thoracic bridging would be best off coming first. Only because of how critical shoulder and t-spine mobility are for steady F and H progress, and despite being comfortable with just about all the F/H upper body mobility, I am already getting stiff and sore in a few places after doing the bridging series this morning. Unexpected and merciless :) in a good way. Your milage may vary, some people have near pathological tightness in the hips and hammies that should be addressed way earlier than trying to build a perfect bridge.

But doing all three is the way to go when possible, of course. No physical ability exists in isolation, and to get all the way up you'll need to develop it all :)

Randal Jackson

Just bought the Stretch series and excited to get started! However, I'm a bit confused on how to proceed. Do you just go through each exercise and coupled mobility until you get to one you can't complete? In other words, with F1 and H1 we know which exercise to start with and what we have to complete in order to move on to the next in the progression, but I'm confused on how to go about the Stretch series. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Keegan

What would be the recommendation regarding how to schedule these stretching workouts within a given week? I am going to do all 3, but want to give sufficient time for recovery and suspect there will be some carryover soreness between at least the Middle Split and Front Split sessions.

Did the Middle Split one today and it felt great (and by that I mean it was intense)! Expecting to be sore either today or tomorrow.

ausswe

I haven't checked but surely here is some inter grate stretching option in the workout planner?