Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hypertrophy training

Nigel Leeming

Nigel Leeming

I am trying to improve my jumping ability. To this end, I am going through the following sequence

Squats & deadlift hypertrophy = 6 sets of up to 12 reps each for 4 weeks

Squats & deadlift strength = 3 sets of up to 6 reps for 4 weeks

Box jumps / plyometrics for 4 weeks

I am still in the hypertropy stage and have been taking 30 minutes for squats. Yesterday someone suggested I should be lifting less weight and taking shorter rests.

For reference I am on 55kg on squats and 60kg on deadlift at a bodyweight of 60kg.

Mel Siff in Supertraining recommends 2 to 5 minutes rest between sets, which is what I am following.

Baechle & Earle in essentials of strength and conditioning recommends 60 to 90 seconds between sets.

I have found a paper comparing 2 minutes to 5 minutes rest for hypertrophy, which concludes no difference between these rest times, but I cannot find anything comparing 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

The effect of training hypertrophy with short rests and lighter weights would certainly take less time, but would it be more effective?

• Upvote 1

It totally depends on what energy system you use.

ATP-PC, can produce the greatest force, lasts only a few seconds, and takes 2-5 minutes to replenish. If the weight you are using is high enough that your body resorts to this system, take 2-5 minutes to rest. This is "strength training"

Anaerobic Glycolysis, moderate force, lasts up to two minutes or so, replenished in 30 to 60 seconds. If the weight you lift is heavy enough to use this system, but not so heavy to use the ATP-PC, only rest 30 to 60 seconds. This is "hypertrophy training".

Basically the heavier the weight and less times you can lift it, the longer the rest time. training effect isn't determined by sets reps or weight, but by the effect those things have on your body.

The reason there was no difference between 2 and 5 minutes for hypertrophy is that both are too much rest for a workout that would induce the most hypertrophy.

• Upvote 1

It's also based on your stage of training with barbells.

If this is you're a beginner or you have been away from training for a long time then rest times can and most likely should be short (1 to 2 minutes) because you aren't technically lifting at the top end of strength capabilities. Right now its mainly CNS working to familiarize itself with the movement.

If you're able to do your sets with short rests do it. If you fail the same sets 2 or 3 workouts in a row, all other things being equal, then add in longer breaks.

Man, you're still the king of the forum!? I pay my respects.

have you considered oly lifting instead of deadlift + squat? If I recall correclly, coach has spoken highly of the verticals that oly lifters possess. Plus, with oly lifting you'll be getting a healthy dose of front & back squats.

Nigel Leeming

Thank you so much for the replies. I had been considering the energy system being the differentiator between what Siff recommends and Baechle & Earle recommend, but it was all still floating around unformed in my head so thanks for crystalising that Jason. Very helpful.

HTomas, I think I've got past the CNS bit now. I usually only lift weights in winter because I can't get out climbing as much. So each winter I start again and see quick gains which soon tail off to slow gains. I'm in the slow gain bit now.

Micawberian, thank you, but only because the latest challenge hasn't finished yet. I'm still working my weighted dislocated, but have a way to go to catch up with the new kings to be. My goal is oly lifting, but I'm still learning the techniques, and finding getting the timing right quite difficult. It will come though, and my intention is to move to oly lifting when I get to the power part. I think I'll try and go around another cycle of hypertrophy, strength and power when it's all done.

Connor Davies

If you're trying to increase your jumping ability, I would say the ability to lift more weight is going to pay off more than having bigger muscles. According to the vertical jump bible, you will see correlation between squat numbers and jump height all the way up to at least 2x bodyweight back squat.

It's generally easier to put more weight on the bar if you're lifting for less reps.

Remember a jump is largely about efficiency. Lifting heavier weights will prime the nervous system more than lifting for higher reps, so should correlate to your jump better.

• Upvote 1