I started very late in life (47) and have been attending an adult gymnastics class for about two years. I must say that this sport is incredibly frustrating (and rewarding) in that I will be able to do a skill, e.g back handspring, front tuck, back tuck, etc; and then I will just totally lose it due to a bad habit. For me, usually twisting one way or the other. Then, the more that I try and think about not twisting, and staying straight, the more I start twisting. For example, below is an example of a back handspring I was doing pretty well last year, started progressing to the floor, and then started twisting. Went back to the trampoline to straighten it out. Now, I can't even do it on the trampoline. I'm back to jumping backwards drilling on foam pads. The same happened with a back tuck, I got it down very well, then started working on Arabians, which incorporates a kind of twist, and now I am twisting like crazy on my formerly solid back tuck. I'm doing this half back tuck/half arabian abortion into a foam put. I will also twist on my front tucks, land them perfectly straight for a couple of months, and then start twisting again. . While I am so frustrated on these skills, I will start nailing perfect handstands or roundoffs because I am not thinking so much about them, and just do them.
How do you get pass these mental blocks? Part of it is just fear, and wiping out at my age hurts more than it would if I were a kid; but if I am in this funk, I will screw it up with a spotter or harness. Once I get into these weird funks, I almost lose the skill entirely. Is there a good way to stay outside of your head. Think of something else. Any good advice. . like some of the tricks from "Inner Game of Tennis," Or, am I just a crusty old man, and accept my slide into decrepitude.