This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

elbow pain when hyperextesion

Started by Amit Rogovin, January 30, 2015 · 3 Replies · 96 Views

Amit Rogovin

hello, 

 

before 6 months i injure my bicep tendon during a training of a planche progression from the foundations series, right after it happened i start my rehab and did a lot of  planche  leans, rings support and german hang training,  i learned to be more patient and give my body and connective tissues the time its need to adapt 

 

today my bicep feel a lot better and i'm ready to get back in training but i'm really afraid from another injury:

 

my left elbow (the same hand with the last injury) is little heart when i hyper extend it in movements like the , all the shoulder extension stretches (seated, standing, german hang) and in the bottom of the push up position, handstand push up but not in dips

 

 the biggest pain occur in the extension part of shoulder dislocations (in the time i start to take my arm back forward)

 

any suggestions? 

 

thanks, amit

Krel
Amit Rogovin said:

my left elbow (the same hand with the last injury) is little heart when i hyper extend it in movements like the , all the shoulder extension stretches (seated, standing, german hang) and in the bottom of the push up position, handstand push up but not in dips

 

 the biggest pain occur in the extension part of shoulder dislocations (in the time i start to take my arm back forward)

 

any suggestions?

 

• I strongly recommend NOT to do supinated german hang if you are not done with Foundation Series. The probability that you are not ready yet to benefit from this exercise - which lead to back lever and which puts a lot of pressure on distal (elbow joint) and proximal (shoulder joint) biceps tendon - is very high

• Don't train through the pain

• Some rest followed by going back to easier variations will help you

• It is important to find a happy medium between hard work, progressivity and precision

Amit Rogovin

thank you krel, any ides how to solve the elbow problem in order to progress in dislocation exersce without pain?

Krel

• General tips :

   * Take some rest avoiding the exercises that cause the pain

   * When you will do these exercises again don't rush and give your body the necessary time to build connective tissue (decreasing the volume, the weight used, the wideness of your grip)

   * Eat well, drink well, sleep well

 

• Specific tips :

     Focus on your form

Mark Collins said:

1. These iM's build strength through the range of shoulder flexion and scapula elevation. So you should feel the trapezius and deltoids working a lot. These movements get you use to activating the upper traps and flexing the shoulders without spinal movement. Think of this as the first part of the dislocate.

2. The fact that you were in so much pain after doing the disclocates indicates you were too narrow and heavy. Also you may have not been activating the upper traps and rear delts/rhomboids/mid traps at the back of the movement. Sometimes people are too lax in the shoulders and spine and load this puts too much strain on the connective tissue.

In my mind this is how I do the dislocates.

1. Contract the abs, gluteus and quads to put myself in a slight hollow.

2. Lift the stick/bar overhead and elevate the scapula as much as possible so I feel my upper traps contract hard. At this pint I think of reaching the stick up to the ceiling.

3. As I move to the transition I focus on keeping the abs tight and not letting my chest lift. This keeps the spine still so I am only moving the shoulders.

4. I then push the the stick backward as I contract the rear delts and squeeze the scapula back.

5. As the stick goes back I think of making a big circle. The more I contract the mid traps and rhomboids the bigger the circle. At this point my chest wants to lift so I focus on abs tight..

6. Rising from the back up is the process in reverse.

When I do these well my shoulders and rear back feel tired but more mobile.

Over the months of doing the dislocates the better my shoulders feel. Be patient and keep at these as they are one of the best exercises for the shoulders. I initially was like you and did not understand how good these were. Many of my patients now do these and have also benefited from them.