My injury (Nerve impingement)

Started by Roddy Cardona Valderrama, January 18, 2015 · 1 Replies · 2,189 Views

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

On december 1st i was doing some handstand work when i felt a tiny pinch in the middle of my back on the left side.  At the moment i didnt think much of it i continued to train, sure enough by the end of the day my back was super tight and was spasming a bit. I decided to take the following day off, except for some waited shoulder dislocates because i felt like i had pretty much recovered.  Then comes the following day December 3rd i felt great i thought i was fine and what i had experienced on the monday was just a mild strain that had now passed, i trained handstand again for about 2 hours.  By the end of the day wed my back/ upper neck/shoulder area completely seized up on me i could barely move my neck never mind moving my left arm.  6 weeks later i have recovered full range of movement in left arm but iam dealing with a pinched nerve that has pretty much cause me to lose about 90 percent of the strength on that side.  I also wasnt able to flex my left pec/tricep/lat fully, now as i continue through my rehab iam starting to get some of the ability to flex these areas and strength.  In the mean time instead of being depressed i continue to train my legs and abs following foundation protocol and working on other goals such as my pancake and splits which are staring to develop quite nicely.  This injury was completely avoidable but i decided not to listen to my body.  In my mind as soon as it happened i could imagine coach shaking his head in disapproval. I guess sometimes these lessons are sometimes learned the hard way, but man its rough watching everyone doing the handstand challenge.  I cant wait till i heal so i can start that challenge all the drills look every exciting.  Hopefully i can be ready to train upper body in the next month or 2 so i can be ready to participate fully in denver come june.

kashmir

Sorry to hear about your situation, I like your attitude and that you keep on working out while allowing your pinched nerve to recover.

 

A few days ago I did som russian dips and the day after it did not feel good in my elbow. When I am taking a deep breath I feel a dull pain in my left elbow.. Reading your situation I have decided to take a week off of arm strength training and not to attempt russian dips in a while..

 

Hope you recover soon!