This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My first form checks

Started by Timothy Rees, January 8, 2015 · 10 Replies · 246 Views

Timothy Rees
Hey guys,

so I am super excited about working on the foundation program. It's been 3 months of hard work and I'm now close to completing almost all of the PE1 exercises. I really want to achieve true mastery of these beginning exercises to build a strong base for the following progressions. I would very highly appreciate it, if you could look at my video and critique the forms I am demonstrating. Please be as precise and critical as you can, so I can feel confident in my form, when I will test for mastery soon. :) I apologize if the video is a little long and completely understand it, if you don't have the time or the nerves.

By the way, though I haven't done much posting, I have done a lot of reading on the forum and I must say how impressed I am about how polite, helpful and nice everybody around here is. I'm very happy to become a part of this awesome community. :)


 

Edit: My apologies, video should be unlisted now. :)

HB_Ron

Video is private man. :)

HB_Ron

FL/PE1- You're lifting your upper back too much. Get it a bit lower(only shoulder blades should be off the ground) and Relax ;)

FL/ME1-You're flexing your feet, in the course video the toes are pointed. You should get used to this for future elements that require planter flexion.

 

sPL/PE1-You're raising your middle back too much. This exercise must be focused on the upper back. Look for a topic I posted with the same problem. I think Keegan gave me the best answer .

sPL/ME1-Great technique ,IMO, might be even better than mine ;)

 

SL/PE1- Do the concentric part(the beginning position) slowly and controlled. Try to stop your body from shaking so much. I think the problem is that you aren't breathing correctly. In addition, shoulders should "cover" the ears.

SL/ME1- Looking good. Maybe you can do them slower and try creating a bigger circle/radius.

 

MN/PE1- Point toes. Good ROM.

MN/ME1-I'm not sure if you performed it right because of the angle. Let someone else criticize you on this one.

 

SLS/PE1- Watch the course video again. I think you need to just throw your hands backwards.

 

Watch the demonstration videos again and compare your form. I hope this helps.

Timothy Rees

Thank you very much for your feedback HB_Ron, I appreciate it! I agree with all the points you made and will work on them! :) 

Keegan

Also, the Xiaopengs are Abduction and Adduction at the shoulder joint, not Flexion and Extension/Adduction. In other words, stand with your back against a wall, now turn your palm up and raise your arm overhead while sliding it against the wall, then turn your palm down and slide your arm back down against the wall; that Abduction and Adduction of the shoulder and is what your arm should be doing at the shoulder joint.

Now, raise your arm overhead by bringing it forward off the wall (or stand sideways to the wall and slide your arm up the wall to overhead). This is Flexion, what you were doing in the video, and incorrect.

Watch the video again and pay attention to see what I mean. The arc is then created by twisting at the trunk torso. For instance if holding the DB in your right hand with feet facing forward:

-turn to the left so that your shoulders are now perpendicular to the line of your feet (they would be making a + if you were looking at yourself from above)

-turn your palm up

-Abduct your arm

-now your shoulders all the way to your right till your shoulders are again perpendicular to your feet but you are now facing the other way

-turn your palm down

-Adduct your arm

The sum total of movements will cause what looks like a half circle of your arm

vinca_minor

Holy crap.   I've watched that video about 7 times and never noticed that.

emilianop
Keegan said:

Also, the Xiaopengs are Abduction and Adduction at the shoulder joint, not Flexion and Extension/Adduction. In other words, stand with your back against a wall, now turn your palm up and raise your arm overhead while sliding it against the wall, then turn your palm down and slide your arm back down against the wall; that Abduction and Adduction of the shoulder and is what your arm should be doing at the shoulder joint.

Now, raise your arm overhead by bringing it forward off the wall (or stand sideways to the wall and slide your arm up the wall to overhead). This is Flexion, what you were doing in the video, and incorrect.

Watch the video again and pay attention to see what I mean. The arc is then created by twisting at the trunk torso. For instance if holding the DB in your right hand with feet facing forward:

-turn to the left so that your shoulders are now perpendicular to the line of your feet (they would be making a + if you were looking at yourself from above)

-turn your palm up

-Abduct your arm

-now your shoulders all the way to your right till your shoulders are again perpendicular to your feet but you are now facing the other way

-turn your palm down

-Adduct your arm

The sum total of movements will cause what looks like a half circle of your arm

 

I thought that this is how you're supposed to start with, then optimally trying and reducing the twist of the torso as much as possible (basically making the movement closer to what dislocates do)?

Or are we saying that the max possible twisting of the torso is always to prefer in order to isolate add/abduction and avoid flextion/extension?

Keegan

I'm saying that this is what the athlete in the demo video is doing, so this is what we should be doing if we want to master this iM. I honestly don't know if there is a longer term goal for these other than just adding weight, but I seem to recall reading Coach or one of the other mods saying that this shouldn't be a dislocate type movement. I don't have the time right now to go searching for that thread/post, but I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow when I have more time.

emilianop
Keegan said:

I'm saying that this is what the athlete in the demo video is doing, so this is what we should be doing if we want to master this iM. I honestly don't know if there is a longer term goal for these other than just adding weight, but I seem to recall reading Coach or one of the other mods saying that this shouldn't be a dislocate type movement. I don't have the time right now to go searching for that thread/post, but I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow when I have more time.

 

I though this was a good indication of how to do them:

 

On forward Xiaopengs the most common error is failing to rotate the arm completely at the top of the movement prior to the descent so that you are as close to HS as possible with the palm of the hand pointing toward the floor.

 

On backward Xiaopengs the most common error is allowing the hand to roll sideways prematurely.  This makes the iM much easier and also much less productive.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10953-xiaopeng-and-stiff-leg-windmill-weight/?p=106279

To me "close to HS as possible" means aiming for flexion, not abduction... might be wrong of course. :)

Keegan

From reading another thread it seems like while Abduction and Adduction are mostly what the course video consists of, the long term goal is indeed to progress to more of a flexion and extension type movement.

Also, you can reach a HS position via flexion or abduction, the only difference is what "plane" of movement you follow to get there.

emilianop

Yep, that would be more in line with how I picture the movement in my mind.

 

(and I say "picture it" because my execution is quite crappy  :) )