This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on HS/PE2 and iM

Started by Hanlim Lee, January 3, 2015 · 7 Replies · 466 Views

Hanlim Lee

Hi, I'v been enjoying handstand sequence these days.

 

I have three question. one on PE2 and two on  iM

 

 

#1

 

when doing headstand, I suppose to make tripod with hands and head.

 

where should I put more weight? head ? or hands?

 

recently I've been putting too much weight on my neck, making it stiff. lol

 

in the demo video, the athlete lean slightly putting more weight on the hands, and consequently 

 

on frontal deltoids? 

 

Did I observe correctly? 

 

 

#2

 

I think I am too stiff to perform iM2 in full ROM. lol

 

Now I can only lift my arms 45 degree from my back and it doesn't get better now. 

 

just keep performing this will give me full ROM?

 

or should I massage my stiff pecs and biceps?

 

 

 

#3

 

in the demo video, shoulder head incredibly rolls into the front side of the body.

 

does this mean I should protract my shoulder when I lift the bar up?

 

Is it anatomically possible to protract and lift the arms backward at the same time? I mean ... really? 

 

 

Duff

1. Weight should be evenly distributed between hands and the head.

 

2. I'm probably not the best one to give advice as it took me one year to master it, but my progress really sped up once I started doing it more often, almost every day and trying to get the hands closer in, but also paying close attention not to overwork. Specific stretches can be very beneficial, so do try them out.

 

3. From what I know, rolling the shoulder forward in this position decreases the space between the acromion and the humerus, causing the muscles and tendons to rub on one another, leading to inflammation and shoulder pain. I would advise you to retract in any movement where the arms go behind the body(edit: at least for pulling movements).

Alessandro Pantanella

2 agree do specific stretching and mobility exercises otherwise it will take you long time to gain the appropriate ROM. Kit Laughlin has a great shoulder mobility program or you could look into mobilitywod.com

NicolaO

Hello, Hanlim

 

I know this is an old post, but I was curious to know how your flexibility progressed, since I am in a similar situation :)

 

--

Nick

sarahlynnclimbs

I also observed the athlete leaning at an angle in the demo video. It also looks like he is more toward his forehead rather than the top of his head. Should this really be what you're supposed to do? I have a hard time keeping my neck straight and not crunching it when I try it from my forehead. I'm more comfortable from the top of my head. Is this ok? 

 

Sarah 

sarahlynnclimbs

Thanks NicolaO, 

 

I also think it would be nice to add that to the description. It would also be nice to get a more definitive answer from one of the experts rather than speculative suggestions from fellow customers on the threads you shared. Those are still helpful though. Thanks again for sharing :)

-Sarah 

NicolaO said:

Sarah, I think this has already been answered:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19971-hspe2-im/?hl=forehead#entry183244

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19899-head-position-while-in-a-headstand-hspe1/?hl=forehead

 

It would be nice though if some of these points were added to the exercise description, too.

 

I feel that after finishing HS/PE1, HS/PE2 does not feel much harder.

HS/PE2>iM though feels quite difficult for many people.

 

Coach Sommer

- weight should be equally distributed between the head and hands.

- for shoulder extenson work the scaps should be retracted, not protracted.

- start wide and lift to horizontal and then gradually decrease the width of the grip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer