This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Head position while in a headstand HS/PE1

Started by Stefan Morariu, March 21, 2015 · 4 Replies · 209 Views

Stefan Morariu

Hi everybody :lol:,

 

where do I exactly place the weight off my head? On my forehead or more on the upper part of my head? In the course video it seems to be the forehead, here I have a discomfort/slight pain in my neck wich also lasts for a while. I also dont feel that stable in this position. If i place the weigth more onto the top of my head and straighten my neck I experience no discomfort/pain and feel more stable. Like this I can also perform a full headstand but with the weight onto my forehead like I assume it is in the course videos, I struggle even with the Tripod due to discomfort /slight neck pain.

 

Also there are many videos out there where they place the weight onto the top of the head. Does it really matter that much?

 

I want to be doing every exercise perfectly. But im not sure about this one.  Please help me out.

 

Thanks, Stefan

gbsj

The gymnast in the video shows on his forehead as you describe. I find it more comfortable and am able to hold for time on the top of my head as you describe.

 

The yoga school of thought is to place thumb on forehead and then reach with middle finger to top of head and that is a place to start. 

 

The forehead balance seems more in line with handstand but the top of head minimizes strain on the neck. 

 

I am in this for the long haul so I perform as close as possible to the gymnast while minimizing risk of injury.

Bipocni

Personally I do them on the top of my head, because it gives me a more stable base of support and diffuses the pressure well.

You need to be careful with this tho. Far too often I've found myself resting almost on top of my cervical spine, rather than closer to my forehead. Be vigilant to make sure you're not compromising spinal health.

Jon Douglas

As long as you aren't putting an arch in your spine and especially in your neck, you should be able to find a comfortable spot with a bit of trial and error. You may be like me and have a weird shaped head, which will mean you need a slightly different position to other people. A quick fix for this is to try pushing up in a free hespu--- if you struggle to bring your shoulder strength to bear, tou are probably not straight up and down :)

Stefan Morariu

Yes I arched my neck  quite a bit which I think is what the athlete in the video does. First his spine is straight but the moment he lifts his knees of the ground his neck is arching?

 

Anyways I will now try  to find a good spot more towards the top of my head, where I feel more comfortable. Im glad this seems to be acceptable.

 

The free hespu sounds good but I still have a long way to go :). When Im there I may try that one out.

 

Thanks for all the answers!