Any hypermobility sufferers?

Started by Jheard89, January 1, 2015 · 4 Replies · 3,345 Views

Jheard89

I've recently been diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome, which explains the more of less constant pain/discomfort I've been experiencing for the last two years. Due to this pain it has been two years since I've had to stop bodybuilding and i haven't been able to train since.

I now realise that heavy compound lifts just aren't suitable for me and that what I require is stability, balance and control... hence my attraction to gymnastic/calisthenic type training.

I was wondering if there was anyone here who has managed to successfully train using gymnastic protocols despite having hypermobility and if you might be able to share with me some of your experiences?

Mainly, what has worked for you, what hasn't, how have you adapted standard training philosophies to suit your needs? Also just looking for some inspiration for what can be achieved, as my condition has got me pretty depressed. I understand many gymnasts are able to take advantage of the increased mobility however all I'm experiencing at present are negative side effects.

Cole Dano

Do you know what the specific syndrome is?

 

Have you looked here at all?

 

http://hypermobility.org/

Jheard89

No I don't know specifically yet, I'm waiting to be referred to see a specialist. Main symptoms are chronic fatigue, IBS, skin elasticity, easy bruising and hypermobility in pretty much all major joints.

Yea I've had a look at the forum thanks but the general level of fitness knowledge is pretty much what you'd expect from any non-fitness related forum.

I was hoping there might be some members here with greater depths and breadths of knowledge.

jules

I've seen people with hypermobility before, but never with the symptoms you describe. 

I suggest waiting to talk with the specialist and see if you can get them to explain the physiological mechanism behind the

syndrome. 

 

My gut tells me that stability exercises are exactly what you need just to maintain normal function over the long run - but like 

I said, take a list of questions to the specialist and take it from there.

Cole Dano

Your symptoms are the real deal and you'll need to take your condition seriously.

 

First talk to the right medical professionals and then get back to us.

 

Good luck with learning to properly manage this.