Crossfiter

Started by Travis Cornwell, December 28, 2014 · 10 Replies · 3,075 Views

Travis Cornwell

I am a 2.5 year Crossfiter. Heard about this program on rob wolfs podcast. I heard a few recommendation's such as put your weight lifting on maintenance while doing this program, which is fine ill do whatever but i cant find anything that tells you how to proceed if you are going to still lift weights or still do crossfit say twice a week? Ive heard coach talking about his students lifting weights on the podcasts so...where is your lifting program?

jefferson curls and weighted shoulder dislocates does all of that come later?

Seemed like Rob implemented it immediately.

Salivanth

Jefferson Curls and weighted dislocates are not lifts in the sense you are probably thinking. They are mobility exercises, not strength exercises, and are included in Foundation's integrated mobility. Jefferson Curls are included early in F1, while dislocates and pre-requisite dislocate exercises are in H1.

Someone else should be able to help you with the integration of your existing programming.

Joshua Slocum

Jefferson curls, weighted dislocates, and other mobility work with weights are part of the Foundation and Handstand courses. 

 

There isn't yet any "official" programming for integrating F1/H1 with crossfit or weightlifting. 

Chris Garay

Hey Travis,

 

Are you referring to Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman, CrossFit, etc.? I specifically ask so that we can help make better recommendations for how to combine your weight training with the GB Foundations and Handstand courses.

 

For instance, depending on one's athletic background, recovery ability, and ultimate end goal, something like 3 days of GST and 1 day of OL each week might work well.

 

Best,

Chris

Travis Cornwell

Well i normally w.o. 5 days a week and seem to recover just fine with that.my goal is to be in optimal shape. Just recently i accomplished the lift 5 times your body weight between dead lift back squat and bench.however to proceed any farther would be foolish i feel.Im 35 and have a 3yr.old and 2yr. Old. Both girls. Ive been monkey ing around with them doing there gymnastics drills and dance moves and thought how much i would enjoy pursuing gymnastics with them. So you can probably imagine how excited i was when i found this and realized i wouldn't have to try to figure out all of this the hard way! I know i should probably just let go of the weights but its all i know and have done my whole life! I worked hard to get where i am and (feel )like i would be losing it all. Coach talked about students doing deadlifts and cleans in a podcasts i listened to so i assumed you'll have some sort of lifting involed in your program? No? Fyi.I recently scrolled through all the exercises and mobility drills so i see what f1 and h1 one involves.

Joshua Slocum

There's no powerlifting or olympic lifts in the Foundation or Handstand programs. There's some weighted mobility work but that's it. If you want to continue integrating some weightlifting along with GB training, there are ways to do that, but I am not familiar with the recommended programming. Hopefully someone with more experience in that area can comment. 

Chris Garay

Hi Travis,

Thanks for the explanation. As Joshua said, there's no powerlifting in the Foundation and Handstand courses, so keep in mind that any extra training should be viewed as purely supplemental to your primary goal of Gymnastics Strength Training.

With that in mind, the slow lifts (squat, bench, and dead) require a bit more time under tension than the Olympic lifts, and you should be mindful of the extra volume when adding them into your GST work. Generally speaking, deadlift strength can be maintained with very infrequent training (maybe even just one set every 2 week even), especially if you are training Foundation elements. Back squat might require a bit more frequency (although one or two sets each week would probably be enough). Bench press would be similar (you'll be training so many Pushups and Dips in Foundation that I wouldn't be surprised if your bench press improves without much specific training at all).

Lastly, you could consider adding in DL, BP, and BS as additional elements on a 5-rep mastery template each. Pick a weight that is perhaps your current 5RM, and start on Week 1 with 3x1. Over twelve weeks you will keep the weight the same but increase the volume up to 5x5. Then add weight and repeat. Just a thought!

Best,

Chris

Travis Cornwell

K sounds good. That is actually pretty close to what i was doing minus the dead lift idea good to know.( many Pushups and Dips in Foundation?) I'm not sure about that. Does that come later cause right now I'm only doing PE's and mobility.Am I missing something?

Chris Garay

Hi Travis,

 

I am assuming that you have purchased Foundation One, in which case you should be working on progressions towards a Hollow Back Press, which include various pushups and dip variations.

 

Best,

Chris

Travis Cornwell

o.k. Sorry for some of these questions. I think I have this figured out it just seems to simple and I feel like I'm missing a few things. I have foundations 1 and hand stand as recomended. Iwas wondering if i should purchase the stretch one soon?Do you know anything about it?If i click on it it just says you dont have rights. Is there anywhere to see what its about?

I also just recently started having a small pop in my right shoulder when i rotate my arm behind my back.It dont hurt but I was wondering if there are any stretches or a certain muscle group in the shoulder I should work more. All I have Done in the past is basically the over head press and clean and jerk.Maybe the front deltoid is to tight and strong and causing this poping?Is there any other place I should be asking these questions? Thanks for all your help!

Chris Garay

Hi Travis,

 

Stretch One has not been released yet. You would have to attend a seminar in-person (highly recommended!) in order to learn some of that material.

 

Regarding your shoulder, I would recommend searching the forums for topics related to shoulder prehab. Without being able to assess your shoulder in-person, I would guess that your anterior musculature (pecs, delts, etc.) are tight, and that your posterior musculature (mid traps, external rotators, etc.) are weak. Be very careful if you experience any sort of pain in the shoulder. Seek out a trained professional, rest your shoulder, and do not push through pain. Good luck!

 

Best,

Chris