This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General training advice

Started by Joshua Slocum, December 19, 2014 · 15 Replies · 1,777 Views

Joshua Slocum

I figured it would be helpful to have a thread for accumulating general training advice and tips. Here are some things that I have found to be useful:

To keep track of time in holds, use a metronome set to beep every second. [if you have a smartphone, you can download a metronome app]

Take videos of your work sets! Take them frequently! Having feedback is crucial for developing good form. It's very common to *feel* like you're doing an exercise right, only to find out that something is not right once you take a video. I use a smart phone and a tripod with a phone-attachment (like one of these). If you've been stuck on an exercise for a while, comparing old videos to new ones can be helpful: has your form changed at all?

Even if you don't want to video anything else, make sure to video your attempts at mastering an exercise. Mastery requires good form in *every set* - failing to meet this standard may result in stalled progress later on.

If possible, find someone to work out with! Having someone else around who is familiar with the program is helpful for many reasons. They can offer encouragement, point out issues with your form, and help you debug any movements that you just don't quite get.

Ideally you'd have a GB trainer or coach who could critique your workouts in person every once in a while. [is there currently a good way for people to look up GB trainers in their area?]. The gold-standard is of course attending a seminar and working with Coach Sommer. Seminars are also handy because you'll learn a lot about the philosophy and theory behind the program.

Keep a daily workout journal. Each day, make a note of how each exercise went. Did you achieve your target sets/reps? Did you have to add in extra rest? Did you maintain good form? Did you figure something out?

On a coarser level, keep track of how each exercise feels. Was it very easy to master? Did it take a lot of effort? Construct your warmup based on these notes: exercises that you struggled to master should be revisited more frequently.

Mike Kelly

thanks for your post - i just ordered tripod for my iPhone to record some workouts :)

Gavin S

Taking videos of sets is an absolute necessity. I recommend Ubersense as an app for this.

 

Pro Metronome is a free app. A tempo of 60 will give you one second.

Alexander Egebak

Yoga mats or something similar for ABH and HBH to cushion your tailbone and your manhood.

Salivanth

Great spreadsheet, wanarma, but some of the rep schemes are off.

HBP: PE3-PE6 all say 15 reps, when it should be 10 for PE3-PE4 and 5 for PE5-PE6. 

 

RC: PE2 should be 15 reps, PE5 should be 5 reps, PE6 should be 60 seconds.

All other elements are good as far as I can tell, but HBP and RC need to be gone through again.

wamarler
Salivanth said:

Great spreadsheet, wanarma, but some of the rep schemes are off.

HBP: PE3-PE6 all say 15 reps, when it should be 10 for PE3-PE4 and 5 for PE5-PE6. 

RC: PE2 should be 15 reps, PE5 should be 5 reps, PE6 should be 60 seconds.

All other elements are good as far as I can tell, but HBP and RC need to be gone through again.

This is exactly the kind of thing I need help spotting ... after a while all the numbers blur together :). Thanks!

NoHiddenCosts

I think this post is worth a sticky! Everyone should read this before beginning Foundation.

Alexander Egebak
NoHiddenCosts said:

I think this post is worth a sticky! Everyone should read this before beginning Foundation.

This is just content for the upcoming wiki which essentially is a compilation of existing stickied topics and topics that should be stickied.

NoHiddenCosts

Ohhh, I thought this sub forum was the "wiki" itself.

Alexander Egebak
NoHiddenCosts said:

Ohhh, I thought this sub forum was the "wiki" itself.

As I understood all this content is going to be review by Coach to make sure it is accurate. Just like the translation forum

Salivanth
wamarler said:

I use a Google spreadsheet for this purpose that auto-updates my week's workout, and translates technique codes into names (e.g. "HBP/PE1" --> "Incline Pushup"). Here's a template of it that anyone with the link (e.g. people who read the wiki/forum) can copy if they want to use it themselves.

 

Feedback is appreciated. 

Hey Wamarler. I'm using this sheet and really liking it. However, the Side Lever PE's have just been totally overhauled. If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to update the sheet?

wamarler
Salivanth said:

Hey Wamarler. I'm using this sheet and really liking it. However, the Side Lever PE's have just been totally overhauled. If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to update the sheet?

I just got the note about the overhaul myself ... yep, will update the spreadsheet to match!

Salivanth
wamarler said:

I just got the note about the overhaul myself ... yep, will update the spreadsheet to match!

Wow, that was fast. You're a badass, mate. Thanks for all the hard work you put in!

wamarler

The spreadsheet is now updated.

 

I struggled a little with how to present the new SL/PE1. On the one hand, mastery in the coursework is 30r. On the other hand, making a 30r schedule on the Lookup Data tab requires people who already copied the spreadsheet to adjust some formulas, and Coach said in another post that "15r each side is brutal enough." So using 15r in the spreadsheet was an option.

 

Ultimately I decided to write the spreadsheet to match the course docs, and to take up the inconsistency in how reps are to be counted elsewhere. 

Rayne-William

Become very familiar with the difference between external rotation and internal rotation of your upper arm.

 

As a hint: External rotation brings your elbow closer to your sides. Internal rotation takes your elbow further away from your sides.

 

The rotation of your upper arms can be the key in attaining mastery for a large number of elements, whether preparatory or specific, in the Foundation course.

 

For sake of information: Your lower arm/forearm can be internally or externally rotated regardless of whether your upper arm is externally or internally rotated.

Kai Ewert

Instead of a metronome, I prefer a playlist of two audiofiles, one that is a 60 bpm metronome for 59 s, and a second that is a bell for 1 s. The bell can eliminate the need for counting, and because this will run in the music app, I can do other things on my (i)phone while the metronome keeps going. 

If someone can help me figure out how to upload files, I can share the two mp3 files I use.