This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1 Hinge Rows

Started by Joshua Slocum, December 19, 2014 · 17 Replies · 1,652 Views

Joshua Slocum

The key to this exercise is learning to isolate the hips. If the hips rise or drop too much during the exercise, it will be more difficult than it needs to be. 

 

- make sure the elbows come all the way down to shoulder height

- make sure the elbows are pulled behind the shoulders at the top

adara9

Here is Coach's suggested regression (in https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15797-rcpe1/ - sorry, I don't know how to link directly to the post). I have needed to start the hinged chin hold with bent legs, later progressing to straight, myself.

 

Coach Sommer said:

Start with a hinged chin hold (build to 5x60s), then progress onto negative hinge row and then move on to to regular hinge rows.

Continue working RC/PE1>iM at a minimum during this process.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

 

MattiasF

- Make sure to turn the arms "outwards" during the ascent, not "inwards" (see course video).

This made all the difference for me, I was stuck for a long time before my friend pointed this out, and was then able to master it fairly quickly.

adara9

Isn't he turning his hands "inwards" in the course video? I did notice the gal in the initial assessment video did basically the opposite with her hands.

john_c

I have had problems with this exercise since I started. Mainly due to elbow tendinitis, and also because it has challenged my hip and shoulder mobility. I can do rows just fine and I did skip forward to PE2 but felt like I was cheating, so I have now gone back and starting where I can perform  a version with good ROM and pain free. I tried Coach's recommendations above but found even hanging was hurting my elbows. 

For the past four weeks I have been doing this exercise as per the video but seated at a slight height and have been able to concentrate on correct positioning of my hips and shoulders. I start in the upright position trying to calibrate myself into the correct alignment first. I am now up to 4x12r and I am pretty happy with it, as I still feel I am getting a good pulling workout as my biceps are tired without any elbow pain.

hopefully I'll be able to do it properly soon and finally get rid of this tendinitis. 

Luzian

Indeed, if you compare the course video and the assessment video they are rotating their arms in the opposite direction. I would be grateful is someone could clarify this. Which one is the way to do it? Or does not matter?

Giovanni Garcea

Actually in the asssessment video, there are a few reps towards the end of the set in which she doesn't rotate the hands at all...

MattiasF

For me personally, I got more focus on biceps when doing it according to the course video, but I don't know whether it matters. When in doubt follow the course video.

Awesssss

I had skipped this one too, beause I never had access to rings. However, I have a pair of TRX now in my new gym. 

 

What an exercise I've been misssing! I feel this a lot in my rotator cuffs, my shoulders. Don't feel like my pulling strength is being challenged, but mobility wise, definetly! Love working on weaknesses! :)

MattiasF

Many thanks Zach, for taking the time to making both of these things perfectly clear, and apologies for my confusion regarding the rotation.

I'm going to revisit this one to make sure I have the angles in line. Tried it this morning and it felt more focused on the shoulder rotation, I love how you can learn new things about an exercise even after spending many months on it.

Awesssss

I'm having a hard time with hinging. Can never really get it everytime. Still very unfamiliar. Any tips?

Joshua Slocum

It may help to think of letting your hips drop slightly just before you start pulling with your arms. Alternatively, thing of sitting up into almost an "L" as you're pulling.

thecolin

I maintain that this move would be more clear to many people if it was called an assisted sit up.  :P

Awesssss
Joshua Slocum said:

It may help to think of letting your hips drop slightly just before you start pulling with your arms. Alternatively, thing of sitting up into almost an "L" as you're pulling.

This helped me, thanks!

 

Now that my CNS gotten used to it, it easier to get in more reps. However, today I felt it in my triceps. Where are you suppose to feel it? :S

kingzlo
thecolin said:

I maintain that this move would be more clear to many people if it was called an assisted sit up.  :P

Looking back at the original video, I'm thinking what your saying may help.  For all the while my hips (legs) were moving up and and down throughout the movement, putting more unnecessary pressure (with my arms taking the load) during my movement (seeMyFormVideo).  

thecolin

That's my thought behind the suggestion. I suspect a lot of people are attempting to do this like more of a traditional rowing movement.

Cole Dano

I've described it that way before, it's good way to think if you're having problems with the hip hinging.

Jon Douglas

I found that came pretty naturally as long as I made the effort to keep my legs straight and feet pressed against the ground, which kept my hips low.