realistic goals for the olders?

Started by LOST, July 13, 2009 · 11 Replies · 3,907 Views

LOST

Hi all, Im new here, and this is my first post.

Im soon 30 years old, and I intend to start to train mostly by bodyweight. I bought the book and dvds today, and I have allready started the first step on the planche, and I think I have great progression so far.

But I wonder, since I am a bit old I guess it isnt so easy to build up strength as younger people, so what would be realsitic goals? would it be a realistic that I would one day be able to do a straddle planche pushup, or any of the other advance moves? (lets say I train 3-4 times a week, for about 5 years)

Im have not trained much strength last 10-15 years. Im 6,1 about 170lb, and I think I have a very healthy diet.

sorry my english. Im from norway, so english isnt my first language. Hope you are able to understand me.

Joshua Naterman

30 is plenty young! You'll be fine. If you really stay consistent you will make it at least to straddle planche. Make sure you train your straight arm and bent-arm strength equally, and you'll do great! Welcome to the wonderful world of gymnastics training :D

Rolf Nilsen

Have no worries. You are not even 30 yet so the sky is the limit. It is all how much you dedicate yourself to reaching the goals you set yourself. At 30 you will not go to the olympics, but gaining strength and learning skills dont stop at age 18.

If you can, it is very worthwhile to go to any gymnastic classes doing basic strength and conditioning.

Hvor i Norge holder du til forresten? Selv bor jeg utenfor Molde og begynte med dette for bare 2 år siden.

JL

The question is how much can you accomplish in 8-12 years, I think. I thought I've read about many weightlifters peaking in their 30's, but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing many things are possible if you think you have about 8 years before you start to decline. I'm 30 going on 31, well see what is possible. Unfortunately, I'm coming off of a long break (2 yrs) from any real physical activity. It was hard just to get competent at pullups, again. I have run into injury problems, but most are passing now, and I've made good leaps in lower body and upper body flexibility. Everyday something is improving. My pike pushups are getting much better in quality and quantity. I set a PR in my planche leans just 2 hrs. ago. Straddle split progress has moved forward. Shoulder flexibility is improving. There are many aspects I could let get me down, like my pistol progress (messed up due to injury of groin/hip flexor), dip strength ( getting bored and burned out due to no progress), and L-sit progress (also messed up due to hip flexor injury), however, I have a lot to keep me positive and focused.

Blairbob

the older you are, the more I think you have to be in tune with recovery programming.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, this is true. Older bodies are not as durable :P We can still hang with the young'ins though :P!

LOST

Thanks for the answers :)

Its probalby true I guess, as you said, that though Im soon 30 y.o. I could still have a nice progression.

I think I have a nice progression on the first step on the planche. When I started I was able to do only a few sec, but now, after just a few weeks Im able to about 60s I guess (tested about 50s on last test), and I can balance on different possisions without much trouble if I want to (leaning forward or backward)

I probalby need a bit more recoverytime as Blairbob mentioned. I guess I try mo/we/fr.

btw. I recieved my book and DVDs today. I have looked through the book, and read some, and I think it is very very good and informative. Gonna watch a DVD now :)

Hei T2T. Kult at det er flere norske her :) Jeg bor (og kommer fra) Trondheim. Er du gammel da, og hvordan har din fremgang vært iløpet av de to årene?

Razz

Im not bothered to find the study atm but there has been studies showing 'old' people improve in strength just as easy as 'young' people so go for it :D

giv den gas!! :twisted:

LOST

I wanna focus on the planche for a while, but there is something I dont understand. When I read an article of Coach Sommer I got the impression to train the planche either 3 or 4 days a week. But when I read on the WODs (week for week) on leg exercises for a practical example I saw that for legs (squats etc) you only train 1 day a week, which might imply that I should train on the planche too only 1 day a week (??)

how often would you recommand me to train on planche (1-4 days a week) if my main/only focus is on the planche (for, lets say 6-8 weeks)?

Razz

Well i would say at least 3 times a week if its your main goal, 5 times even better IF you can handle that frequency.. And then it's probably a good idea to not do the same planche exercise 5 days a week but instead switch it up a bit :)

LOST

So static holds require less restitution than dynamic (strength) exercises? ..cuz it wouldnt be a good idea to do (heavy 3x5) SLS 4-5 days a week, right?

I started to do SLS yesterday, and I think I would have my focus on planche and SLS (also) for some time.

How many days a week would you recommend me to do SLS?

Joshua Naterman

3x5 no, but 1x5 would be fine. Increasing your frequency can really help your strength gains, but if you increase frequency you need to decrease volume accordingly.

And yes, static holds require the least amount of recovery. There is very little movement of actin/myosin bridges, so there's very little damage being done. Dynamic exercises require more recovery because a) they consume more atp, and b) they cause more intramuscular damage, due to the constant formation and breaking of actin/myosin bridges. There's more to it, but that's the basics.