Weight training and GST Question

Started by Yancey Clarke, December 16, 2014 · 3 Replies · 2,211 Views

Yancey Clarke

If you are honestly  working on the foundation series, handstand series and rings, is it redundant to also lift weights? ( squats, clean and press, deadlift chest press etc etc...) (compound lifts) Can GST simply replace weight lifting for a martial artist?

 

My situation is that I am an instructor in a reality based martial art that is physically demanding and I am concerned that in conjunction with my running, cycling, Gst, MA training, tumbling,hiking etc etc, that also lifting weights will be over-training. I have had over-training injuries in the past and do not want to repeat that again. Before I joined GB I was primarily working on gymnastic skills (without a great resource) and lifting weights as a foundation for my strength training. 

 

 

Yancey 

Joshua Slocum

Yes, it is redundant. You already have a strength-training program: adding in another one will just overtax your body and make you progress slower.

Coach Sommer

For the time being, I would make GST your primary focus and then do few light maintainence sets of olympic lifting at the end of your workout.  If you are feeling too tired from the day's GST, then simply skip the olympic lifting for that day.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yancey Clarke

I appreciate the responses.

 

I will do as you recommend. 

 

Thanks:)

 

Yancey