This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM questions

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, December 10, 2014 · 3 Replies · 101 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi!

Unluckily I do not see any progress on mobility exercise HS/PE1>iM. I'm so depressed. So I'd like to clarify myself some stuffs!

If I understood well, I have to overcome my back line with my arms locked at shoulder width apart, without arching my back. If this is correct:

1. Can I start practicing with a wider grip that lets me to overpass my back line and then narrow my grip more and more?

2. At shoulder width apart I have much more problems about leaning forward than with a wider grip! Is it normal??

3. Why do I have to practice this exercise with a weighted bar? What are the benefits compared to a Light bar? Is it good If I start with a light bar and then moving on a heavier one, or is it better if I start practicing just from the beginning with a weighted bar? Unluckily I have only a 10kg bar, I think it is too heavy for a beginner like me...[emoji53]

Thank you!

Rayne-William

1. Just use a shoulder width hand spacing. Sit up straight with a neutral pelvic tilt with the bar over your head and as you lean forward, at the hips, elevate and retract scapula.

 

2. It may be normal if more people have problems maintaining a neutral pelvic tilt.  Personally speaking, I didn't have a problem with this particular integrated mobility element.

 

3. Sure use a lighter bar and work up to a heavier one. The mastery standard is 5lb(2.27kg) - 10lb(4.54kg)

 

 

-Just for the sake of information: 1kg = 2.2lb,  2.54cm/25.4mm = 1 inch

TANSTAAFL

What he said.

 

Start at shoulder width regardless of ROM (Check here for why).  3-5lbs on the bar minimum or you won't recruit the right muscles. Just tape some crap to a broom stick like the rest of us ;).

Jeremy Huston
mauler said:

3. Why do I have to practice this exercise with a weighted bar? What are the benefits compared to a Light bar? Is it good If I start with a light bar and then moving on a heavier one, or is it better if I start practicing just from the beginning with a weighted bar? Unluckily I have only a 10kg bar, I think it is too heavy for a beginner like me...[emoji53]

Thank you!

The weighted bar helps to activate the correct musculature.  You want to get the right weight on this.  Too little weight -- like an empty PVC -- won't achieve correct activation, so you won't get any results.  Too much weight (10kg) and you won't have the strength to pull any additional ROM.

 

I recommend putting some small weight plates (1-2 kg / 2.5-5 lbs) on a broomstick/PVC to work these IMs.  I use a broomstick with weights from a dumbell set like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511