Front lever / back lever

Started by jawbkk, July 12, 2009 · 9 Replies · 5,117 Views

jawbkk

What is the best way to start practicing these? Fixed bar or rings?

Also, is it possible to start practicing them on rings and what is the best way of going into the FL or BL position? From an inverted hang?

I can do quite a few skin the cats, 15 pull-ups and lots and lots of dips and 4 sets of 15s L-sits. (to give you an idea of my basic strength)

matthew.percussion

For the back lever you definitely want to start on rings. Whenever I do them on a bar by arms are to close together and I end up getting extra support from my lats pressing onto my arms.

Just a though. Aside from that it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blairbob

I prefer rings, but it can be done on a bar. Sometimes, I have boys work them here because of only a certain amount of rings. Done from the inverted hang typically, but you can get into them other ways.

cccp21
Blairbob said:
I prefer rings, but it can be done on a bar. Sometimes, I have boys work them here because of only a certain amount of rings. Done from the inverted hang typically, but you can get into them other ways.

**********Has band assisted Fl/BL been done?

Brandon Green

Blairbob

I have done FL on a bicycle tube before and tried to do BL on them but couldn't move around the tube without nearly hanging myself.

I don't have bands for the boys and don't think there is much to be gained spotting these positions versus altering the progression. Sometimes, I do depending.

cccp21
Blairbob said:
I have done FL on a bicycle tube before and tried to do BL on them but couldn't move around the tube without nearly hanging myself.

I don't have bands for the boys and don't think there is much to be gained spotting these positions versus altering the progression. Sometimes, I do depending.

Ever used an ab-wheel to assist core conditioning?

Brandon Green

cccp21
Blairbob said:
I have done FL on a bicycle tube before and tried to do BL on them but couldn't move around the tube without nearly hanging myself.

I don't have bands for the boys and don't think there is much to be gained spotting these positions versus altering the progression. Sometimes, I do depending.

In addition have you or anyone else used straight arm lat pulldowns or pullovers to assist front lever?

Brandon

Blairbob

1st question, yes they are fun.

2nd question-no.

cccp21
Blairbob said:
1st question, yes they are fun.

2nd question-no.

Which reminds me what are the most effective barbell/dumbell cable exrcices that assist gymnastics?

From my own list i have preacher curls,back squat.clean,jerk,snatch,bulgarian squat,straight arm pulldown

(both in front and to side),dead lift,back raises,good mornings,ab-wheel,overhead squat,cambered bar bench press

dumbell presses of all kinds,side bends ad heel raises and pullovers. Any others?

Brandon Green

Razz

Hmm i gotta admit that seems way overkill, if you wanna be strong in gymnastics then do gymnastics. Maybe deadlift wouldn't be bad to assist lower back and leg strength. Besides that squats are also used by Chinas gymnasts.. Gymnastics should still be your main focus and not weights, I mean why do lat pulldowns when you can do pullups? :D