Hey all, I've been browsing this forum and thinking about starting Foundation One for a while now but I've always had some questions that I could never find the right information for - so time for my first post I think (you guys seem like a helpful and knowledgeable bunch!)
I have been doing bodyweight exercises combined with a few supplementary free weight lifts for quite a while now and I am very happy with my gains. I've had no injury issues, I train carefully, make sure that I don't increase weight too quickly etc. I mainly focus on weighted chins, pullups, dips, bodyweight extensions, ab exercises, pistols and curls for finishing of the biceps. I enjoy this training.
But, I have always been aware of Coach's stance on how important it is to train the connective tissues in conjunction with muscle tissue to ensure that the two are both in sync. This really hits home and makes me feel like I should be taking my tendons and ligaments more seriously than I do (even though I have had no injury's etc, I am sure that my limited knowledge regarding the biology of these things leaves me susceptible to flaws in my training) I totally get how improved connective tissue would lead to greater strength gains. This is definitely something that I want to start looking at.
So this is where I am today. I want to start Foundation One to improve my all-around ability and tap into that connective tissue strength, BUT I feel like if I stop my other training I run the risk of losing the mass that I have worked hard to gain. (As far as I am aware Coach advocates Gymnastic training alone or not at all)
Questions:
1) Would it be possible to continue my current exercises on top of Foundation One? If so would there be any drawbacks? I just don't want to go back to being a scrawny looking wimp (even if I do in fact get stronger)
2) How is it that Gymnastic training supposedly yields superior connective tissue strength versus the kind of training that I do? I mean after all the progressions in gymnastics are all about changing leverage in order to increase resistance, is this not basically the same as simply adding a bit more weight to my weighted pullups? Both would be compound movements using the body in unity and provided you don't increase resistance too quickly are either particularly different and more efficient in terms of developing connective tissue? If so why? Any help here appreciated!
3) A slightly unrelated question but one that I am interested in. Let's say I master all the foundation programmes and all advanced gymnastic movements, how would I go about maintaining the muscle mass and body that I would have acquired? Is there some sort of gymnastic training routine that I could find somewhere after completing all foundation series? How do the top gymnasts maintain their figure and ensure that they adequately train different parts of their body in a balanced fashion? I understand how practitioners get stronger and gain muscle, they advance progressions. But what happens when you can do the top progressions easily?
Long post I know, but any help would be really appreciated!!! Thanks guys.