This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1

Started by Christopher Poese, November 30, 2014 · 9 Replies · 643 Views

Christopher Poese

I've been doing the foundation 1 for just over a month now and I've moved onto 4x12 of the RC/PE1 and I can get through the first two rounds without breaking up the reps, but the last two rounds I definitely have to break them up.  Should I go back and start over at a lower block or are breaking up the sets ok?  

 

Thanks in advance for the help, still really new and trying to figure it all out!

Salivanth

The sets are meant to be continuous. How far can you get before you have to stop? And for how long do you rest? If you can do something like 12, 12, 10, 9 uninterrupted, it may be worth staying at 4x12. (But not moving on until you can do 4x12 continuously, with no rest other than mobility in between sets) If you can't get close, I'd move back.

Christopher Poese
Salivanth said:

The sets are meant to be continuous. How far can you get before you have to stop? And for how long do you rest? If you can do something like 12, 12, 10, 9 uninterrupted, it may be worth staying at 4x12. (But not moving on until you can do 4x12 continuously, with no rest other than mobility in between sets) If you can't get close, I'd move back.

I can get through the second set through a lot of effort, but the third I have to break up to 6 and 6 and the last round sets of 4 usually.  I guess I'll just have to go back a block!  lol.  Thanks for the help!  Just wasn't sure about going straight through or not.

TANSTAAFL

Loads of ideas for breaking through plateaus, etc. Different things work for different people so pick one option and stick with it for a few micros before you judge it unworthy.

 

I would agree to go back a block and make sure you have mastered the previous microcycle before trying anything else below.

 

 

I'm trying this one right now:

Sven Ravnstag said:

I've been having great success by using the progressions recommended by the program, but splitting them up over several blocks. For example, with pushups, I start having a hard time at the 12 rep range. 4X12 was too much for me with perfect form, so I did 1X12 and 3X9reps, then 2X12/2X9, etc.

Currently I'm on 1X15 and 3X12, and the level of perceived exertion is about what 4X9 once was. I think there really is something to the volume jumps in the program. If I change anything it's taking more time to incorporate them. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18080-pushup-endurance/

Sven Ravnstag

Last week I managed 3X15 and 1X12. Getting there!

The approach also seems to be working for hinge rows, which are at 2X15 and 2X10.

Back to 2X/week with these elements. F7X3 works for about a week and a half, after which these high-rep upper body movements start regressing. Legs, arches, hollows, and tucks all feel pretty good at 3X, and I suspect that the upper body elements will do well too once I get to higher intensity/lower rep ranges.

Christopher Poese
TANSTAAFL said:

Loads of ideas for breaking through plateaus, etc. Different things work for different people so pick one option and stick with it for a few micros before you judge it unworthy.

 

I would agree to go back a block and make sure you have mastered the previous microcycle before trying anything else below.

 

 

I'm trying this one right now:

This is great!  I'll definitely have to start incorporating this into my training.  My upper body has always been weak and I'm looking forward to getting stronger.  Thanks Everyone!

 

Also, finally got deck squats without a counter balance!  Woot woot!

Matthew DellaFera

Almost 7 months on this one for me. It's taken me that long to be able to do 4-5 sets of 6 reps.  At first I could hardly do 1 rep at all.

 

On a good day I can do 10 or 11 reps, but then by the next set I'm just about dead.

 

I'm very happy with the fact that I'm making progress and this is just a sign to me that I had some MAJOR strength and mobility deficiencies....which I'm happy to be addressing.

 

For example, I couldn't even get into the full ending position at first because my shoulders/back were so insanely tight. it took me months to be able to do a real, full rep with full ROM, and now I'm working on building the strength to do more. 

 

Plugging right along!

Christopher Poese

I'm really looking forward to getting in the work and making progress!  

 

Keep up the good work Matthew!

Keegan

You could also try breaking up the micro cycles differently. Essentially the micro cycles are just "mini-peaking" blocks where the first week is designed to be a "load" or "under load", the second is either a "load" or "overload", the third is an "overload" where you are pushing yourself, and the 4th is an "under load/Deload".

If the blocks don't line up exactly with your current levels of what constitute those levels of exertion for you, then I see no reason why you couldn't simply modify the training blocks.

So, in your case if 4x12 is an overload intensity, then you could try creating a block of

4x9

5x9

4x12

4x6 (Deload)

That way you are working within your abilities for most of the weeks, fluctuating intensity so you aren't constantly running up against your physical limits, but still getting that hard overload week of intensity in periodically so your body can adapt to it.

All of the other suggestions are good too of course, just adding another potential solution.

Christopher Poese

I appreciate any suggestions, thank you!  Pulls have always been a challenge, definitely time to break through and make some progress.