Hi all, any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
I organize a once weekly adult gymnastics class for non-experienced folks, based mainly on the progressions from the 1944 U.S. Navy Gymnastics and Tumbling book and the various strength move progressions as presented via Coach Sommer on the web and in the CrossFit Journal.
I'm looking for some help or general ideas as to the best "flow" for a class around the gym, both in terms of apparatus order and strength/dynamic exercises. We meet for 1.5 hours.
We typically begin with about 15 minutes of "warm-up", consisting of joint mobility drills and some basic calisthenics. Nothing crazy at all, as my people need to save a lot of strength for the later stuff. I'm going to add about 10 minutes of stretching at the end of class, so I have about an hour to work with.
Apparati we tend to use in class includes:
Rope
High bar
Low bar
High P-bars
Low P-bars
Trampoline
Floor (rolls and cartwheels, some vaults over obstacles)
Rings
Balance beam
I've been tending towards doing the balance beam first, so that everyone is fresh and it doesn't drain too much from other things. Trampoline has tended to come towards the end, as that's when it is open and no one is doing any moves on it that are difficult enough to require placement towards the beginning of a workout.
Several of the people are still working on basics, like full dips and pull-ups.
For those of you who teach beginning kids, you might be able to help me the most. What does a typical class look like, what movements (strength vs. dynamic) do you do first and why, what apparati do you do first and why, and any other general comments on organizing a class to reap the most benefits would be appreciated. Please remember that this is rudimentary level.
Thanks!