I have to teach gymnastics to zombies. Help!

Started by Micawberian, November 5, 2014 · 5 Replies · 2,120 Views

Micawberian

Hi guys, hope your training is going well

I am taking a pedagogy class,

We are doing a little section on teaching adults. We had to draw ideas out of a basket and I pulled "gymnastics".

I am struggling to come up with an idea for a gymnastics lesson that I can teach these adults. It has to be 30 minutes long. The problem is that a lot of these people are in poor shape. Cartwheel is too risky. Forward rolls are a bad idea, because some of the people will not want to mess up their hair and get dirty on the floor ( (I say this from experience).

Anyone have some good ideas for a basic gymnastics lesson? It has to be a moving activity. Jumping activities, running, etc is all good. Obviously there are many GST options like planks and such but I would like the lesson to resemble the idea of gymnastics that the common people have.

My current ideas are either a) butterfly kick (not the full jump, just some prep) or b) learning basic twisting in a jump (180 or 360) which Idk if that's a part of gymnastics

Salivanth

What about headstands? It has a gymnastics feel, but is basic enough that just about anyone should be able to do it safely, especially with instruction.

Micawberian

Hmm hehee seems a little unlikely. if people wont do forward rolls, headstand is not much bettter

ussjkenny

I'd start them off easy. Oversplits and planche on rings. 

Blairbob

Handstands.

If you have wall space you are set.

Start off with stuff like Downward Dog with one leg raised, hopping from leg to leg, donkey kicks. Lunge to Needle Scale (Downward Dog with one leg raised vertical), Lunge leg switch HS.

 

Or if that's too much, just do Arabesques and Scales. That is more dance/ballet though.

 

Or you could do animal walk type stuff. Bear walk, crab walk, lame dog, etc.

Micawberian

Hmm handstand seems like a better idea, especially compare to cartwheel.

I'll definitely implement scales as maybe a 5 minute side lesson. That's a good idea, thanks!