Handstand 1 For Strength Athletes

Started by churchofiron, October 27, 2014 · 2 Replies · 10,776 Views

churchofiron

Hello all:

 

I am a competitive strength athlete (strongman/powerlifting). My shoulders, through the years and honestly, neglect, are sadly immoble.

 

I am also a deadlift-type athlete, meaning I have short legs and long arms (as opposed to pressers, who generally are the opposie). Pressing has always been a weakness of mine.

 

I went to a sport rehab for a while and it didn't help much. I've incorporated yoga now, which is helping a little.

 

I am looking for some fresh ideas on improving my press, plus I've secretly always wanted to do a handstand. I was wondering if this program would be appropriate for me.

 

Here's my YouTube channel if you want to see the type of stuff I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChurchOfIron

 

I am in no way questioning the program's effectiveness; I simply need to determine if it's right for me.

 

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Salivanth

I can't say what, if anything, it'll do for your overhead press, but it'll definitely increase your shoulder mobility and work towards a handstand. (And not a shoddy banana-backed handstand either, but a straight-up-and-down gymnastics handstand.)

thecolin

The handstand mobility is fantastic, along with the leg mobility from Foundation I think it's the best.

 

I think if you do start to train with H1, you might find that your power lifting is directly at odds with becoming more mobile. I believe the general recommendation is to put other serious strength work on hold while working to build up lost mobility.

 

If you're in a position to step back from your regular training for a while, I think there's something there that can help everyone. If you're set on keeping up the competitive power lifting training, I don't know how effective it will be. Perhaps it will help. but I doubt you'll be able to reap all the benefits.