This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to Gymnastics

Started by Christopher Poese, October 24, 2014 · 2 Replies · 110 Views

Christopher Poese
I've been listing to a lot of podcasts lately and a few of them have featured Coach Sommer.  I really liked what he had to say so I thought I'd sign up for the Foundation and Handstand one courses.   Not really knowing anything at all about the program, I have a few questions.

 

I'm curious about the programming, I took the intro assessment and entered all the rounds, reps, times, I was capable of doing and went to the weekly program.  The first workout seemed pretty simple.  Should I up the movements that I'm more capable in to the next block or should I stick with it and go with the lower reps/times?  I don't want to overdo it, and I have zero ego in this( I know that my bodywieght/gymnastics movements are weak), but I also want to get some work in.  Just curious how slow I should start.

 

Is this something that I do in conjunction to my regular strength/crossfit or is it stand alone?

 

Also on the deck squats, I can't do one... (sad face)  It's probably a lot of ankle, calf, hip mobility issues as I can't do one without using my hands pushing on the side on the roll forward to help me up.  Should I avoid doing these until I can actually get up out of the roll or just use my hands for now?

 

Any help is appreciated, and these are probably silly questions...

 

Salivanth

Feel free to attempt the next block. If you can achieve mastery in the element, move up. If not, start at a block that makes sense for you. (Week 1, 5, or 9 is best, to work with deload weeks) No need to be at 4x24 seconds if you can handle 4x48 seconds.

For deck squats, my solution is to roll back onto a raised surface, and steadily lower the surface til I'm doing it on the ground.