This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New To Gynastics, plenty of questions...

Started by GetFit, October 23, 2014 · 1 Replies · 145 Views

GetFit

I've been listing to a lot of podcasts lately and a few of them have featured Coach Sommer.  I really liked what he had to say so I thought I'd sign up for the Foundation and Handstand one courses.   Not really knowing anything at all about the program, I have a few questions.

 

I'm curious about the programming, I took the intro assessment and entered all the rounds, reps, times, I was capable of doing and went to the weekly program.  The first workout seemed pretty simple.  Should I up the movements that I'm more capable in to the next block or should I stick with it and go with the lower reps/times?  I don't want to overdo it, and I have zero ego in this( I know that my bodywieght/gymnastics movements are weak), but I also want to get some work in.  Just curious how slow I should start.

 

Is this something that I do in conjunction to my regular strength/crossfit or is it stand alone?

 

Also on the deck squats, I can't do one... (sad face)  It's probably a lot of ankle, calf, hip mobility issues as I can't do one without using my hands pushing on the side on the roll forward to help me up.  Should I avoid doing these until I can actually get up out of the roll or just use my hands for now?

 

Any help is appreciated, and these are probably silly questions...

Edoardo Cagnola

1- Regarding deck squats start doing them on an elevated surface and gradually work towards doing them on the floor.

2- Did you test mastery in each PE1? If you can complete the required sets/reps +iM you should test mastery for the next element of the progression in the next workout. Keep doing this until you fail to achieve mastery. That's where you should stop and start your programming.

If you have other doubts on this read the front of the course again, it's all explained there.

I hope this is helpful:)