Im tall, and deck squats are imposible. Help

Started by metzray, October 22, 2014 · 6 Replies · 2,812 Views

metzray

I'm 6'9" and there seems no way that I can tuck my legs underneath me to pull off a simple bench squat.  any advice, or preliminary work that might help.

 

 

LateStarter@46

Try doing it in reverse to get a feel for it; have a height difference between your buttocks and feet at the pre-stand up position e.g bottom on lots of mats, feet off the mats; calf stretching +++; do lots of forward rolls and try to join them up; imagine you are rolling forwards as though to dive into the floor - stretch your arms forward and downwards. Good luck!

FritsMB

In addition to stretching your calfs, you may need to stretch your quads (so you can bring your buttocks to your heels) and your hamstrings (so you can bring your chest to your quads). Lots of good instructional videos on internet.

Jurre

I had trouble with the same exercise. I then rested it because it got frustrating. In that same time i started stretching more and now I can quite do it. Whenever i'm warm I can do it no problem, when i'm cold I can get on my feet but it's a bit more of a struggle.

 

I.E. Stretch.

TANSTAAFL

I posted in another thread that there is slight chance you have weird upper/lower leg length ratio, making it impossible to do on earth. This is a very rare case though, and you shouldn't put yourself in this category until trying the stretches above and also onto mats or something else higher behind you.

Javier

Check out the mastery videos in the course Introduction. Notice how the athlete doing the demo brings her legs under her when rocking forward. Try to imitate her. Realizing how she did that helped me master this PE. It's now a piece of cake. Hope this helps.

Blairbob

 Yep bring heels under butt cheeks.

Generally it helps to start elevated though. We use panel mats in a gym setting. If you could find a really low bench that might help. Or those stair steppers stairs.