This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick Question on SLS/PE1

Started by Mark Carter, October 7, 2014 · 30 Replies · 831 Views

Grzegorz Jastrzebski

Thank you all for great input.

Jeffrey Mailly

Definitely going to take some of these suggestions and apply them to my next SLS/PE1 workout. I just attempted it today for the first time and was SHOCKED that I couldn't do any of them at all. Very humbling and shows why Coach Sommer is a genius and starting small helps. Big hurdle for me will be getting out of my own way in terms of overthinking and OCD. I hate the idea of progressing in another Element like FL while this one lags behind, but that's the way it's going to be I guess. I will push hard for full mastery of SLS/PE1 in the coming weeks. Can't wait to see where I am in a few weeks.

 

Things to try:

1.) Rolling further forward before standing

2.) Elevated surface with mats

3.) Using a counter weight

Mark Carter

Mr. Bystander, FWIW, here's my experience:

 

Regarding SLS/PE1, I *just* hit mastery this week and will be moving to SLS/PE2 next.  It was a long, difficult slog.  I started off doing them off of a lifting platform.  Then I started adding yoga mats under my feet.  Then I moved to a stretching mat, and finally on the floor. 

 

I'm all over the place in the progressions.  Part of it is my fault.  I had nearly a month off of training due to tearing a rotator cuff, and then got sick.  I also attempted to do a 5 day split incorporating some lifting.  I realized I was trying to do too much and to just go back and concentrate on this.  So I took a few steps back and have been concentrating on this.  Sounds like I might have some of the same OCD/ADD issues you claim!  Ha!

 

Next week I'll be on FL/PE1 (should move to FL/PE2 after another 3 weeks of work), SPL/PE1 (also should move to SPL/PE2 after another 3 weeks), SL/PE2, MN/PE1, HBP/PE3, RC/PE1, HS/PE2.

 

One thing I've noticed (with me) is that all progressions seem too easy at first.  But they get more difficult as I approach mastery and I wonder if I'll be able to hit mastery.  Then, when I hit mastery it's almost like an anti-climax.  I can certainly feel the different levels of fatigue in my body.  But with these slow progressions, I haven't been hurt and I recover well. 

 

Good luck!

Jeremy Huston
Mr. Bystander said:

 I hate the idea of progressing in another Element like FL while this one lags behind, but that's the way it's going to be I guess. 

This is 100% normal.  You are going to make faster progress in some areas than others -- that's just how it is.  Some elements will take off with a roaring start and then stall for a while.  Some elements will start slow and then fly through later progressions.  Some elements will be limited by strength and others by mobility.  Set your expectations right, and the journey will be a lot more enjoyable.

Jeffrey Mailly

Thanks for the reply guys. It's certainly a humbling experience to be starting off some of these Elements at the VERY beginning.

I worked out prior to this in a sort of "maintenance mode" if you could call it that. Not really much of a push in my workouts and no goals to work towards. Just happy being active. I became a first time father 18 months ago and naturally new responsibilities took priority so I haven't really worked out in almost 14 months. I stretch and go for hikes, even get in the occasional set of pushups and situps lol.

Anyway, I just started F1 yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how close to mastery I was on 5/7 elements for PE1. MN and SLS are embarassingly bad for me. Probably from being a desk jockey for the last 9 years. Tights hip flexors, weak glutes, pelvic tilt, tight IT band...etc. I'm just gonna have to "slog through it" like you said. The good thing is that I still have the drive and desire to work hard at the deficiencies. This has never been about looks for me and that probably goes for most people who succeed in these programs. I'm not after a six pack and broad shoulders, I'd rather not have my body aching and tired when I run around with my daughter.

Excited to see where I end up in 12 weeks. Hoping to have SLS/PE1 and MN/PE1 mastered. Good luck on your endeavors over the next few weeks. Make sure to post an update.

~Atticus
Mr. Bystander said:

This has never been about looks for me and that probably goes for most people who succeed in these programs. I'm not after a six pack and broad shoulders, I'd rather not have my body aching and tired when I run around with my daughter.

Excited to see where I end up in 12 weeks. Hoping to have SLS/PE1 and MN/PE1 mastered. Good luck on your endeavors over the next few weeks. Make sure to post an update.

 

I've been doing GST (F1 and H1) for about 20 months. My shoulders have gotten broader and I have gotten a pretty decent six pack.  

 

And with the recent change in SL PEs, my core looks a lot better than it's ever looked in my life.