This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick Question on SLS/PE1

Started by Mark Carter, October 7, 2014 · 30 Replies · 831 Views

Mark Carter

So I just completed my second workout.  It called for 5X3r SLS/PE1.  I couldn't do a single one!  WTF!  Everything so far has seemed "easy" but not a single one?  Embarrassing....  What do I do?  Just keep at it until I can do them?  Not sure what was happening.  I've been powerlifting and crossfitting for awhile and while I'm not fat, I am thicker than I want to be (working on it) so I feel like a combination of not being able to curl up enough and limited hip flexibility kept me from doing it.  Thoughts?

 

Also, I assume that if there are reps given and the movement is 1-arm (i.e., PN/PE1>iM), than 1 rep = 1 movement per arm.  Correct?

 

While the other movements have seemed "easy" I fully get starting low and slow on progressions so I'll be sticking with the programming and not jumping ahead.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Mark

Luke Rafter

One aid we used to give people who struggled to get their feet back under them was to hold a kettle bell out in front, the added weight allowed people to get used to the movement where otherwise they couldn't get back up at all.

Another technique is to sit back onto a raised surface (with your feet positioned on a lower surface) which can also provide similar assistance.

Hope this helps, apologies if I've misunderstood the issue here

Jay Horley

Hey Mark, Welcome to GST. 

 

If you can't to one break it down into something a little easier. 

I found it helpful people to start on a raised platform and land with their feet on the floor (an oly lifting platform could do to start) 

In addition accumulating static time in the rolled up position and the deep squat position will be helpful. 

 

Jay 

Mark Carter

Thanks, Jay! Excellent idea. So odd that I can snatch and squat so much weight but I couldn't do this! All part of the process I guess.....

Jeremy Huston

Mark -- Have you figured out "why" you can't do a single rep?  If you snatch and squat, it's most likely not a strength issue; rather a flexibility or coordination issue.  Can you roll from your back into a squat position?

Mark Carter

tex0413, I think it's a flexibility issue.  It's certainly not a strength issue.  Next workout is tomorrow and I'm going to try them off of the lifting platform. 

SoyeBoy

Can you do a bodyweight squat (airsquat) ass to grass without raising your heels? Can you do the same with year feet beside each other?

 

If not, then it is probably a flexibility issue - most likely, but not limited to, compromised ROM in the ankle and calf. If this is the case, you should continue to work the element using either a raised surface to roll back onto or a counterweight, WHILE working on improving flexibility in addition to your foundation work.

As your ROM improves and you find that you can perform more reps, then proceed to either reduce the height of the surface or use a lighter counterweight.

 

If you can perform these squatting movements easily, then most likely it is a strength issue. Take similar steps to above except you don't need to focus as much time on the flexibility work.

Mark Carter

SoyeBoy, when I airsquat, I can drop my hips way past parallel with my hamstrings touching my calves, but my ass is still 6 inches off the ground.  Heels don't come up, but that's as far as I can squat down.  Think a really deep powerlifting squat, but not ass touching the ground.  No change if I raise my heels or not.  If I sit with my ass on the ground, the closest I can get my heels is about 12" from my ass.  Since I can barbell squat over 400#, I'm guessing it's flexibility.

 

Thanks everyone for the input.

SoyeBoy

Well when I say ass to grass, I do not mean literally all the way to the floor. It sounds like your squat depth indicates that you DO have the flexibility, but if you post a video maybe we can help you a bit better. Could be a co-ordination issue given you squat numbers. OR it could be that you are quite weak in the very bottom portion of the squat.

Keegan

I second the suggestion to post a form check video. It may be an incorrect form issue that is holding you back. How is your compression on MN/PE1?

Ryan Reynolds

I also struggled with this.  Two things I was doing wrong were:

  1. I would try to stand up while my center of balance was still too far back and I would always have to step back.  I had to think about standing up with my hips first before straightening my torso.  I admit this might be how I'm compensating for ankle mobility issues.
     
  2. I would keep my arms parallel to the floor on the roll back.  Keeping your arms rolling with your body so that your hands point up to the ceiling at the back of the roll lets you generate more momentum on the way back forward. 
Kim Keith

I get how a counterweight would help, but how are you supposed to roll backwards in a tuck position with a weight in your hand? I haven't tried it yet... Just can't wrap my head around it yet.

I don't have a platform to roll off of... But the only way I can seem to get on my feet on the way up is to push off the floor with my hands. Is this a suitable modification until my strength and ankle mobility improve? Otherwise, I'm not sure what to use as a platform.

Kim Keith

Oh, and can I land with my feet wider? This really helps my stability standing up. Aiyaiyai I suck at this one.

Mark Carter

Here's the video.  Sorry if it comes up as sideways.  I couldn't figure out how to upload from my iPhone so I had to upload from my computer.  Not intuitive on how to upload videos and there's no help topic.  If you go to the bottom of the page and select "My Media" it takes you to your media library.  But there are no instructions on how to upload to the media library.  The only way to attach to a reply is to go to the reply button at the top of the page, which then gives you the option to attach photos.

 

I notice that my feet are very close.  That was a natural way for me to get my heels in closer to my butt.  Regarding my compression in MN/PE1, it's not as good as the sample video!  I was able to do these off of the lifting platform.  Unless y'all see something else, I'll do them off the platform until flexibility gets better and I can transition to the floor.

IMG_2365.MOV

Jeremy Huston
Kim Keith said:

I get how a counterweight would help, but how are you supposed to roll backwards in a tuck position with a weight in your hand? I haven't tried it yet... Just can't wrap my head around it yet.

I don't have a platform to roll off of... But the only way I can seem to get on my feet on the way up is to push off the floor with my hands. Is this a suitable modification until my strength and ankle mobility improve? Otherwise, I'm not sure what to use as a platform.

Give the counterweight a try.  Pushing with your hands is a good beginner step.  A couple stacked exercise mats make a good platform to raise your body up but keep your feet down.

 

Kim Keith said:

Oh, and can I land with my feet wider? This really helps my stability standing up. Aiyaiyai I suck at this one.

That's OK to start.  You'll want your feet closer before mastery.

 

Mark Carter said:

Here's the video.  Sorry if it comes up as sideways.  I couldn't figure out how to upload from my iPhone so I had to upload from my computer.  Not intuitive on how to upload videos and there's no help topic.  If you go to the bottom of the page and select "My Media" it takes you to your media library.  But there are no instructions on how to upload to the media library.  The only way to attach to a reply is to go to the reply button at the top of the page, which then gives you the option to attach photos.

 

I notice that my feet are very close.  That was a natural way for me to get my heels in closer to my butt.  Regarding my compression in MN/PE1, it's not as good as the sample video!  I was able to do these off of the lifting platform.  Unless y'all see something else, I'll do them off the platform until flexibility gets better and I can transition to the floor.

Videos are typically uploaded to YouTube and linked.

 

A couple things I see in your video:

1. Try them barefoot.  With shoes, you have to lift your rear higher to get over your heels.

2. When you get ready to stand up, don't try going "up".  Try reaching forward and reaching your body between your knees.

Kim Keith

Thank you, Tex! 

I'll try the counter-weight and the stacked mats first so I can stop using my hands and try to keep my feet closer together. You think doing it with the counter-weight and/or stacked mats will eventually get me to the point of doing it without? Like... I'll actually improve even though I'm using these "cheats" (that's what it feels like.. cheating... lol). 

 

Kim

Jeremy Huston

Yes, it will get you to a clean deck squat.  It's no more cheating that a 2-foot squat is cheating for a SLS.  It's just a progression.  Be sure to use as little weight as possible and to really try to get the best ankle ROM you can.

mr_tkmk

Hi guys, I'm new around here and I was going to post the exact same question.

 

I attempted it today and couldn't do a single one. I was kind of shocked. Nice to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I will try some of the suggestions above.

 

I'd like to know how the OP got on. 

Mark Carter

mr_tkmk,

I've been doing the movements from a lifting platform. I Just finished week4. I have gotten a lot better doing them off the platform. I can easily do PE2 and PE3, so the question is, do I move ahead even when I can't do PE1 from the floor? Not sure yet. I'm OK moving slowly with this. We'll see.

Mark

Keegan

No, you don't move on till you can do them with the same form as in the course video (both the PE and iM). For SLS/PE1 that means doing them on a flat surface.

Mark Carter

So for those that might be following this or having similar issues....

 

I've just completed week 5.  This had me doing 4 sets of 6.  I have continued to do them off of a lifting platform.  They are getting easier and easier.  Before this week I would step back at times, but this week I did all of them correctly.  I can now just about do them off of a stretching mat.  I think just simply working on them has helped the progress.  Also, I'm working on leaning out with this new venture and I feel that is helping as well. After powerlifting for so long I carry some extra fat while not being considered "fat."

 

Hopefully, I'll just continue to go through the progressions, progressively lowering the "platform" I'm on until I'm doing them from the floor.  That's the plan, anyway!

Jon Douglas

You definitely do not move on :) as has been said several times, finding an early sticking point is finding an opportunity for easy gains. Same as the hinge rows. Exercise some patience, fill your gaps, be strong :)

Mark Carter

I'm not moving on until I can do them from the floor. On one hand it's hard to make sense of it because I could be at mastery right now at the next two progressions. So if it's simply a strength progression, then why not jump ahead? But Coach Summer knows more about this than I do so I'll stick with the program as laid out. I guess it all evens out because when I master this I will just test for mastery on the next progression.

It's interesting because even though I don't feel like I'm working quite as hard as I used to in the gym,I feel a different kind of tired in the middle of the day. And through the slow progressions I am definitely building a lot more muscle endurance. I know that's good for my connective tissue, which is something I really need. This is my new obsession so I can't wait to see where it takes me!

Jon Douglas

Strength isn't just a single attribute. These movements go to increasing levels of co ordination / activation and technique required, in short mini cycles before restarting and building up on a slightly different tangent. In a way its almost periodisation via complexity rather than %1RM, but there are way too many confounding factors to make such a simple summation stick.

Coachs work will make you a better athlete, not just stronger. For now just do the work and follow the prescription; the bigger picture becomes more clear as you progress :) lower body especially is a pretty amazing stream that covers so many different components.

Anyway, you need balance, ankle flexibility and posture to do good SLS. Build those with deck squats. Simple; not easy :D

Mark Carter

Awesome input from everyone and great community! So glad I'm on this journey with y'all.