Hey guys! I am sorry that I open another topic just one day after my last one... but this just popped into my head and now I really wanted you opinion.
I do leg lifts as part of my regular conditioning.
When I started, the half leg lifts felt really hard. Harder than the full ones. Now I am always doing half ones first and then full ones and it kind of changed - I find the half ones easier!
My question: Should you train both? Or is one enough? And if you should train both...should you be able to do the same amount of reps of each or is it normal to have less reps at the half ones?
I just know that in WAG in TOPS testing, girls just do 20 half leg lifts, no full ones!
Thank you.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
half leg lifts vs full ones
Started by katlinchen, October 3, 2014 · 11 Replies · 421 Views
What do you mean by half leg lifs? Are the lifts done from hang to 90 or from top to 90? At first I thought you meant the former, but as you kept elaborating I became unsure.
Niklas03 said:What do you mean by half leg lifs? Are the lifts done from hang to 90 or from top to 90? At first I thought you meant the former, but as you kept elaborating I became unsure.
Oh sorry! of course from the top to 90 degrees and up again!
For the hanging leg lifts with an overgrip, it says the shoulders should remain open and extended....does 'open' mean full internal rotation of the humerus and full retraction of the scapula OR full external rotation and full protraction of the scapula??
I, personally, would work on both exercises until I could do the same number of repetitions. However I would also stop doing the easier exercise at some point.
For the hanging leg lifts with an overgrip, it says "the shoulders should remain open and extended"....does 'open' mean full internal rotation of the humerus and full retraction of the scapula OR full external rotation and full protraction of the scapula??
cheers
Think dead-hang.
I have no stall bars to do MN-PE6. I have been using a pull-up bar (which is how I did MN-PE4 and MN-PE5), but I am unsure if this is a good idea. Can anyone help me out on this one please?
Thanks a lot!
Pullup bars are insufficient for MN-PE6, as they make the PE far too easy.
You need something that will support you upper back/traps while hanging. Alternatives could include, but are not limited to, TRX anchors threaded over the top of a closed door (check strength of door), playground equipment, drilling a handle into a wall etc.
However, getting stall bars is definitely best + you can use it for so much more than HLL.
On stall bars, leg lifts are harder, bc you can't lean back with your shoulders which you will automatically do on a free hanging bar if you don't work against it!
I was able to do HLL on a pull up bar before doing them on stall bars.
However, if you do it correctly and force yourself to only use the core, it should be fine, IMO.
I also do it if I am not at the gym and don't have stall bars available and it has never been bad or made my HLL worse on stall bars!
But I guess, if I haven't done it on stall bars before, I wouldn't know how it should feel and wouldn't be able to so them on a pull up bar correctly and effectfully (is this a word?
)
I would recommend you get a partner who will push against your back while you do it so you get the feel. and you can videotape yourself from
a side view so you know if your shoulders stay open and you don't lean back!
I personally think it is not a big deal if done correctly, but I don't know for sure!
Ravn said:Pullup bars are insufficient for MN-PE6, as they make the PE far too easy.
You need something that will support you upper back/traps while hanging. Alternatives could include, but are not limited to, TRX anchors threaded over the top of a closed door (check strength of door), playground equipment, drilling a handle into a wall etc.
However, getting stall bars is definitely best + you can use it for so much more than HLL.
katlinchen said:On stall bars, leg lifts are harder, bc you can't lean back with your shoulders which you will automatically do on a free hanging bar if you don't work against it!
I was able to do HLL on a pull up bar before doing them on stall bars.
However, if you do it correctly and force yourself to only use the core, it should be fine, IMO.
I also do it if I am not at the gym and don't have stall bars available and it has never been bad or made my HLL worse on stall bars!
But I guess, if I haven't done it on stall bars before, I wouldn't know how it should feel and wouldn't be able to so them on a pull up bar correctly and effectfully (is this a word?
)
I would recommend you get a partner who will push against your back while you do it so you get the feel. and you can videotape yourself from
a side view so you know if your shoulders stay open and you don't lean back!
I personally think it is not a big deal if done correctly, but I don't know for sure!
Thanks a lot for the input and sorry for the delayed reply. I went to a park and found some stall bars, but there is no head room and can't really get my knees to my head without my neck hurting. Is this due to lack of compression? If so, how can I improve on this? (I have the stretch series ,will that help with this issue?)
I thank all of you very much for your support and help!
okaxmasato said:Thanks a lot for the input and sorry for the delayed reply. I went to a park and found some stall bars, but there is no head room and can't really get my knees to my head without my neck hurting. Is this due to lack of compression? If so, how can I improve on this? (I have the stretch series ,will that help with this issue?)
I thank all of you very much for your support and help!
Try a yoga mat or something to put behind you to prevent your neck hurting and tuck your chin.
You can find some advice here and links to other posts: