Splitting up workout through different times

Started by LilRunt, September 9, 2014 · 7 Replies · 2,311 Views

LilRunt

Sometimes random things come up and I get busy during the middle of my workout. Usually I just finish the remainder of the exercises later, but I have always been very bothered by this. I always feel like it's... unproductive? If something comes up and I have to finish my workout at a later time I just feel like I'm getting too long of a rest time and I just lose the feeling of it.

 

I'm just wondering, is it hurting my potential progress to have to split up my workout like this? And I only have an hour in the morning to workout and an hour in the evening because of other things, so is this also hurting my potential progress? It just feels very awkward for me to not do everything at once.

ForzaCavaliere

In regards to your progress in individual exercises, so long as you finish all your sets for a given exercise without having the extended break in the middle, it won't hurt your progress (endurance and hypertrophy wise).

 

The only thing it hurts, if you take an extended break between exercises, is your endurance. In fact, if you take long breaks, probably you'd have greater strength gains (but lower endurance/hypertrophy) since you have more energy per set, hence can execute more reps and higher quality reps for a given exercise.

LilRunt

Ok, I understand now, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Kopavski

i thought that hypertrophy was linked to strength, and not to endurance? 

Alexander Egebak
Kopavski said:

i thought that hipertrophy was linked to strength, and not to endurance? 

Hypertrophy can be a result of both endurance training and strength training.

 

Imagine a triangle with endurance, hypertrophy and strength in each corner. You cannot gain excessively in one corner without having a gain in the others, there will always be a "balance". This is roughly how it works.

ForzaCavaliere
Kopavski said:

i thought that hypertrophy was linked to strength, and not to endurance? 

It's as Freshpro said. 

 

Bodybuilders use high reps (generally 10+) per set, and low rest times (30seconds - 1min) as this best facilitates hypertrophy. As you can see, that uses more endurance than, say, a set/rep scheme that involves 3 minutes rest between sets and low (3-5) reps. Obviously, using the bodybuilder scheme will still develop strength and endurance, though it tends towards endurance rather than maximal strength.

Learner

Can one use gymnastic exercises to build muscles(I don't mean as effective as muscle building program with weights, but can bodyweight exercises still make me build muscles just at a slower rate?)-exercises like pull ups,push ups,dips(variations,slow,explosive, static holds) and planche and front lever proggresion
Thank you guys

DouglasMN

Absolutely. Having very little athleticism of any kind, I hopped into Foundation 1 + Handstand 1 about 9 months ago. I've gone from 150-160lbs in that time and have noticeably lost a few pounds of fat along the way. 

 

Bodyweight training stresses your muscles(with progressions) and they will adapt if given enough recovery fuel. For all the endless back and forth about 'optimal' training plans for gaining mass and losing weight, the basic equation for the average person is painfully simple: eat right and work hard.